FORUMS: list search recent posts

5 cam, multiclip editing

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
kenneth richmond
5 cam, multiclip editing
on Dec 3, 2010 at 2:29:39 pm

Hello all,

I am editing a 5 camera show an would like to use multiclip editing. All works well with 2 cameras, but when I add 3 performance get jerky at best. Add 4 or 5 and it shows all cameras in viewer but, when I attempt to edit it does not respond. Timeline halts immediately when I select a camera. My footage is held on a seperate G-raid drive via FW. I have tested the processs by bringing clips onto internal drive and get same results. I have downgraded RT, Frame and Playback settings as recommended. I am thinking 5 cam multiclip edit will require more horsepower.

Any thoughts?

Current Workstation Config:
Model Name: Mac Pro
Model Identifier: MacPro4,1
Processor Name: Quad-Core Intel Xeon
Processor Speed: 2.93 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 4
L2 Cache (per core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 8 MB
Memory: 8 GB
External 2 TB G-Raid 0

Return to posts index

Cody Walters
Re: 5 cam, multiclip editing
on Dec 3, 2010 at 3:32:22 pm

What codec are you editing in? I ran into a similar problem a few months ago and asked the cow for help. I was trying to do a multiclip with 3 DVCPROHD clips. You have to have a fast connection with plenty of bandwidth for all the data to playback smoothly. I fixed my solution by creating an RAID 0 with my four internal bays.

Cody

Cody Walters

Mac Pro 2.26GHz 8 Core Xeon
16 GB 1066 MHz DDR3
Final Cut Studio 3
Panasonic HVX-200

Return to posts index

kenneth richmond
on Dec 3, 2010 at 4:10:42 pm

ProRes

Return to posts index

Todd Gillespie
on Dec 3, 2010 at 5:03:48 pm

Hi Kenneth,

You didn't mention if you were using HD or SD, but I think Cody is correct. That's simply too many realtime streams for the FW drive to spit out-especially if it's HD.

You'd need a SCSI, SATA, SAS, Fibre, etc connected drives to be able to get some realtime playback for that.

Good Luck,

Todd at UCSB
Television Production

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Dec 3, 2010 at 5:37:29 pm

Drive is #1, then you need to make sure you RT settings are set to Unlimited and Playback Quality is set to Dynamic. The video will probably drop in quality as it plays but that is the way it is suppose to work.

5 streams is a lot if you are working with 1080 material, you probably need at least five drives striped together, I was able to work with 8 cameras of ProRes 1080i with an older RAID 0 eSata enclosure with 10 drives.

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Dec 3, 2010 at 5:33:44 pm

[Cody Walters] "RAID 0 with my four internal bays. "
What are you using for your system drive. If your system is on that RAID set you are operating in dangerous waters. For easy and little expense you would want to RAID 3 drives together, biggest fastest you can get and leave Bay 1 drive as a single with the system drive on it. This drive doesn't need to be that big.

Return to posts index

Cody Walters
on Dec 4, 2010 at 8:08:52 pm

I have my OS drive in the second DVD drive. I have my bays 1 through 4 as a striped raid for my scratch drive. So far it has worked out quite well.

Cody Walters

Mac Pro 2.26GHz 8 Core Xeon
16 GB 1066 MHz DDR3
Final Cut Studio 3
Panasonic HVX-200

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Dec 5, 2010 at 4:33:23 am

Just wanted to point that out to others, the extra bay wasn't mentioned so I didn't want people to stripe 4 drives together as some have done.

Of course your setup is just fine.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]