FORUMS: list search recent posts

Exporting Problem?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jake Huddleston
Exporting Problem?
on Apr 5, 2010 at 7:21:47 pm

I am new to HD editing, and I am using Final Cut Express. I recently bought a Canon HV30 HD camcorder, and I've created a sequence using HD clips I took on vacation. I recorded the footage in 1920p by 1080p. The clips are all perfectly crisp and clear in the viewer and canvas, but no matter how I export the video into file format, it is always messed up. I have changed every setting I can find, but the final video always ends up pixelated and with lines running horizontally through it, as if watching it on an old TV. I thought maybe it was an interlacing problem, but I tried deinterlacing and nothing happened. Any advice on why this might happening? What settings to change? Thank you for your help.

Return to posts index

Roli Rivelino
Re: Exporting Problem?
on Apr 6, 2010 at 3:32:59 pm

What export settings are you using? Are you using compressor to export?

At a guess, without knowing your export settings, I would say it's probably a bit rate and or key frame issue.

Export as a de-interlaced h.264 at half size (1280x720) with a higher bit rate and key frames closer together.

I don't know express but if you have compressor, use it as you have far greater controls than simply exporting using QT conversion within FCP

aka Newbie Wan Kenewbie. "The young Newbie, is now a Padawon."

System
Mac Pro 2.8Gb quad core
8Gb RAM
1x 320Gb 7200 hardrive
1x 1Tb 7200 hardrive
Nvidia Geforce 8800 512mb Graphics card
1x 1Tb external WD 'My Book' eSata

Equipment
Panasonic AG-HVX 200
Firestore FS-100

Return to posts index

Jake Huddleston
on Apr 6, 2010 at 7:14:54 pm

Yeah, I talked to my friend about my problem, and he said that he had a very similar problem. He mentioned Compressor since Final Cut Express's settings just don't seem to cut it most of the time. However, the reason I use Final Cut Express is obvious...I can't afford Final Cut Studio at this time. So...I may need to find a friend with Compressor and utilize it. I would have thought Final Cut Express's settings would be sufficient. Little disappointed, but I'll manage. Thank you for your help, I'll try your suggestions before giving up and using Compressor.

Return to posts index

Roli Rivelino
on Apr 6, 2010 at 9:44:14 pm

I don't really know express but see if you can get these settings h.264 Data rate 1000 kps Frame rate 30fps Key frames every 150 size 1280 x 720 crop custom de-interlace optimise for streaming.

That's a compressor setting I really like and then to get better quality try upping the data rate and chopping the key frames, though I'm definitely no compression expert so it tends to be trial and error from there.

Good luck.

aka Newbie Wan Kenewbie. "The young Newbie, is now a Padawon."

System
Mac Pro 2.8Gb quad core
8Gb RAM
1x 320Gb 7200 hardrive
1x 1Tb 7200 hardrive
Nvidia Geforce 8800 512mb Graphics card
1x 1Tb external WD 'My Book' eSata

Equipment
Panasonic AG-HVX 200
Firestore FS-100