FORUMS: list search recent posts

how to acquire "tapeless footage" for fcp 6.0.6

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brian Lindstrom
how to acquire "tapeless footage" for fcp 6.0.6
on Mar 12, 2010 at 6:02:01 am

Dear Creative Cow:
I'm producing a shoot on the road that will be using one of the new cameras that shoots on a card (don't know which one yet). How do I acquire the footage so that I can take it back to my home edit system and edit it on fcp 6.0.6? Should I bring a firewire drive with me? What format will the footage be in? How do I get the footage onto the hard drive? And will fcp 6.0.6 be able to read the footage?

Thanks,
Brian

Return to posts index

Tom Wolsky
Re: how to acquire "tapeless footage" for fcp 6.0.6
on Mar 12, 2010 at 11:35:34 am

Without specific information I can only give general answers.

"How do I acquire the footage so that I can take it back to my home edit system and edit it on fcp 6.0.6?"

The Log and Transfer function.

"Should I bring a firewire drive with me?"

Yes, probably more than one.

"What format will the footage be in?"

Depends on the camera.

"How do I get the footage onto the hard drive?"

You use the Log and Transfer function. Read about it in the manual.

"And will fcp 6.0.6 be able to read the footage? "

Depends on the camera.

All the best,

Tom

Class on Demand DVDs "Complete Training for FCP7," "Basic Training for FCS" and "Final Cut Express Made Easy"
Author: "Final Cut Pro 5 Editing Essentials" and "Final Cut Express 4 Editing Workshop"

Return to posts index

Brian Lindstrom
on Mar 12, 2010 at 8:57:15 pm

Hi Tom:

Thanks for your reply. I should have been more clear. I will be on the road shooting, away from my desktop edit system. I'm hiring a camera person who will be shooting with one of the new cameras that uses cards rather than tape. How do I get the footage? If I bring a firewire drive or two with me, is there a way to get the footage on the drives so that I can take them home and then edit on fcp 6.0.6?

I hope this makes sense.

Thanks,
Brian

Return to posts index

Tom Wolsky
on Mar 12, 2010 at 9:03:54 pm

You're going to need a laptop, some kind of computer, to connect the camera and the FireWire drives. There has to be an interface somewhere. Then depending on exactly what camera you're talking about, you can copy the entire contents of the chip or the drive onto the FireWire drives. You must copy everything, including the folder structure that holds the media. This then becomes you're master, so it's a good idea to make two copies on two drives, or maybe burn to a DVD. Again all of this is theoretical unless you say exactly what devices you're talking about. Workflows for one camera or format may not be the same for another.

All the best,

Tom

Class on Demand DVDs "Complete Training for FCP7," "Basic Training for FCS" and "Final Cut Express Made Easy"
Author: "Final Cut Pro 5 Editing Essentials" and "Final Cut Express 4 Editing Workshop"

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]