FORUMS: list search recent posts

Shortcut

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Frank Muldoon
Shortcut
on Dec 14, 2009 at 5:39:28 pm

Is there a keyboard shortcut for "Capture Now"?
I have looked and looked. Avid has one.

Frank

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Shortcut
on Dec 14, 2009 at 6:10:53 pm

No.

And FCP is not Avid.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Frank Muldoon
on Dec 14, 2009 at 6:28:42 pm

You got that right!
I find FCP to be a glorified home editng system with an OS9 interface. I can't wait for the mythical complete code re-write that would make it a true Pro app.

Frank

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Dec 14, 2009 at 6:38:00 pm

And I find Avid lacking in a LOT of things that I really enjoy doing in FCP.

Don't be closed minded. Every application is different, it doesn't mean that one is less pro than the other. Adobe Premiere doesn't have a CAPTURE NOW quick button...does that make it less of an app?

If FCP was a "glorified home editing app," then how are hundreds of thousands of people making professional content with it? Network TV, cable TV, feature films. Use so widespread that Avid is strugging to keep afloat.

Shane

Return to posts index

Frank Muldoon
on Dec 14, 2009 at 6:51:49 pm

Answer: Price.

I am not closed minded about the flexibility of FCP over Avid interface. But I think it is criminal that on version 7 there is still no decent keyframing controls. The answer is always " Well if you want to do that go to Motion or some other app."
Look at the substantive improvements Apple put in the OS10 operating system in the same time FCP went thru 7 upgrades. Other than new codecs the only improvement is colored tabs.
As far as Premiere goes, I think it is a better editing system than FCP in a lot of ways.

Frank

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Dec 14, 2009 at 7:03:22 pm

COST? Fully loaded FCP system is 1/3 that of Avid... and Nitrix DX capabilities nowhere NEAR what you get with Kona/Matrox for that the price.

Keyframing can be done in FCP (the ease in/ease out), but yes, it can be tricky.

I don't want to get into a flame war...but just because FCP doesn't do a few things that you do in an Avid. Avid doesn't do a few things I do in FCP... trade offs.

Why aren't you using an Avid?

Oh, right...cost.

Shane

Return to posts index

Frank Muldoon
on Dec 14, 2009 at 7:24:21 pm

Cost is the reason 95% of the world went with PC instead of Mac. Better system? I would say no, but that is up to the individual.
Personally, I don't see Avid surviving other than in the highest end environments.
All I am really complaining about is the fact that Apple has essentially sat on the Pro Apps like FCP and done nothing to make it a substantially better editing application.
Compare After Effects 3.0 to AE CS4. Better? I would say so.
FCP 3 to FCP 7? Pretty much the same.

Frank

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Dec 14, 2009 at 7:38:05 pm

[Frank Muldoon] "FCP 3 to FCP 7? Pretty much the same. "

That I would completely disagree with.
Added support for new formats (HDV, DVCPRO HD, XDCAM, XDCAM EX, AVCINTRA, AVCHD)
New codecs (ProRes...on par with DNxHD...which was a HUGE breakthrough)
Added Multicamera (added in FCP 5)
Added support for tapeless formats...RED
Third party hardware support that surpasses Avid (AJA Kona 3, Matrox MXO...hardware up/down/cross conversions)
Added bundled Applications: Color (on par with DaVinci), Motion, DVD Studio Pro, Compressor, Soundtrack Pro. Have a Mac and Avid...try authoring a DVD with the software they provide. You can't. PC only.
Ability to edit mixed codecs and frame rates (Although avid does the frame rates better).
Better audio controls than Avid.

BTW, the Avid interface hasn't changed in years either. MANY years. Looks the same ever since ABVB v7.

Shane

Return to posts index

Frank Muldoon
on Dec 14, 2009 at 7:58:48 pm

All great points. But none of those great features actually make the basic job of editing any easier. I have my issues with basic interface.
I am no Avid fanboy by any means. They still can't match frame to a clip with an alpha channel (a precompute, what ever that means).

Frank

Return to posts index

Tom Wolsky
on Dec 14, 2009 at 6:48:12 pm

Cmd-8 to open the capture window. Spacebar to play the tape. Shift-C to capture now.

All the best,

Tom

Class on Demand DVDs "Complete Training for FCP7," "Basic Training for FCS" and "Final Cut Express Made Easy"
Author: "Final Cut Pro 5 Editing Essentials" and "Final Cut Express 4 Editing Workshop"

Return to posts index

Frank Muldoon
on Dec 14, 2009 at 6:57:04 pm

Tom, I misspoke. I meant to ask if there was a keyboard shortcut for Capture Clip.

Frank

Return to posts index

Tom Wolsky
on Dec 14, 2009 at 7:18:50 pm

If you've entered I/O for the clip press F2 to log the clip. Always a good idea before a single clip capture in case it fails. Cmd-4 to switch to the browser. Control-C to initiate batch capture of the selected item.

All the best,

Tom

Class on Demand DVDs "Complete Training for FCP7," "Basic Training for FCS" and "Final Cut Express Made Easy"
Author: "Final Cut Pro 5 Editing Essentials" and "Final Cut Express 4 Editing Workshop"

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Dec 14, 2009 at 7:26:15 pm

Fine. Here I am trying to keyframe still moves in FCP and cursing at FCP for the stupid EASE IN going all out of control! I hate it. Off to Motion to do this move.

Stupid... OK, so I agree with you there.

Shane

Return to posts index

Frank Muldoon
on Dec 14, 2009 at 7:31:04 pm

Cut and Paste keyframes would be an awesome ability too.
Hey Steve Jobs, put the Ipod down and help us.
:)

Frank

Return to posts index

Frank Muldoon
on Dec 14, 2009 at 7:27:46 pm

All true, thanks for that.
I was hoping there was a keystroke for Capture Clip so I could be in Log & Capture and Mark In, Mark Out and Capture Clip without using the mouse.

Frank

Return to posts index

Tom Wolsky
on Dec 15, 2009 at 12:27:47 am

The three keystrokes I gave do not require the mouse.

All the best,

Tom

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]