FORUMS: list search recent posts

Random clicking sound

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stephen Roberts
Random clicking sound
on Nov 18, 2009 at 3:36:01 pm

I've been doing some basic editing and I now have random low volume clicks on my soundtrack and I can't figure out how they got there or how to remove them.

Return to posts index

Bob Root
Re: Random clicking sound
on Nov 18, 2009 at 8:48:06 pm

If you're using MP3 audio, that's most likely the cause. FCP doesn't handle MP3 very well.

The solution is to convert your MP3 source file to 48kHz AIFF and edit with the AIFF files.

Hope this helps.

Bob

Return to posts index

Stephen Roberts
on Nov 18, 2009 at 8:55:59 pm

I Imported a DV video file and I'm trying to make some edits to video and audio. My skill level is pretty low, but the audio is clean before I begin editing and as I progress more and more of these random clicks show up. When I zoom all the way into the waveform they're less than a frame and show no consistent form. Very frustrating.I've never had this happen before.

Steve

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Nov 18, 2009 at 9:39:25 pm

This could be caused by audio that needs to be rendered. FCP puts a beep in the audio to tell you that it needs to be rendered. Go to Sequence, Render All and make sure everything has a check mark by it. Hope this helps.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Motion Tutorials

Return to posts index

Stephen Roberts
on Nov 18, 2009 at 9:54:03 pm

The audio on the original dv file is fine. Looks like when I imported it the clicks were created. It's not the rendering process that's causing it. I downloaded sound soap pro, but when I tried to launch it, nothing happened. Still need to figure that out. Man...if you don't do this all the time, it's really a test of your patience.

Return to posts index

Bob Root
on Nov 19, 2009 at 1:27:00 pm

I ran into this problem before when doing a Log and Capture of DV footage about a year ago.

One thing to try (and it sounds nuts) is to turn off audio preview in the clip settings of the Log and Capture window when capturing.

You'll need to find another way to monitor your audio when you do this... perhaps through headphones hooked up to the deck.

The other thing you should check is the sampling rate of your audio from the DV tape. If the DV audio is 32kHz you'll probably encounter problems working in a 48 kHz sequence. The easiest way to determine if it 32kHz off tape is to see how many audio channels are recorded on the tape. If all 4 channels have active audio, you're most likely dealing with 32kHz.

I think you can change your audio capture settings to convert the 32kHz to 48. It's been a while since I last did this.

I'm pretty sure one of the above solutions will work for you.

Good luck,

Bob

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on Nov 22, 2009 at 6:32:25 pm

Do the clicks happen at edit points or within clips?

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.5 QT7.5.5 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCS 2 (FCP 6.0.5, Comp 3.0.5, DVDSP 4.2.1, Color 1.0.3)

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

Stephen Roberts
on Nov 22, 2009 at 10:25:44 pm

Clicks are random. Seems like they were generated by import process of dv file into FCP. After output as Quicktime then into Visual Hub then conversion to DVD, the clicks have disappeared or are do buried by the soundtrack/voiceover that you don't notice them.

Steve

Return to posts index

Jakub Gorajek
on Jan 14, 2010 at 9:17:27 pm

I have similar problem. I have clicks at edit points of the audio clip. What it can be?

Return to posts index

mark pigott
on Jul 3, 2012 at 6:38:00 pm

I have the same thing.
DVDProHD timeline. Random clicks at edits

Return to posts index

John Fishback
Re: andom clicking sound
on Nov 26, 2014 at 4:34:36 am

Slight differences in noise levels between 2 clips can cause a click at edit points. If you apply a 2 to 4 frame audio fade the click will go away. Some DAWs force an edit at "zero crossing" points. That's the point in the file where the audio waveform crosses zero. Edit there and no click. I don't know of any NLE that does that automatically. But, applying a fade smooths the transitional gain so no click.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz, 16 GB RAM, OS 10.9.4, QT10.1, Kona 3, Dual Cinema 23, ATI Radeon HD 5870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCP-X 10.1.3, Motion 5.0.7, Compressor 4.0.7
FCS 3 (FCP 7.0.3, Motion 4.0.3, Comp 3.5.3, DVDSP 4.2.2, Color 1.5.3)

Pro Tools HD 10 w SYNC IO & 192 Digital I/O, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec DSP Monitors, Prima CDQ120 ISDN

Return to posts index

Allen Rowell
on Nov 25, 2014 at 4:11:52 am

When you do certain kinds of cuts it can result in a sliver of audio being created. When you zoom all the way in, you can see what looks like a single frame. That is the click. I think it happens when you try to drop in a new clip but instead of the new clip dropping between two clips it actually makes a cut in the tail or head of one of the clips leaving a sliver behind. I have not isolated what exact settings and workflow causes this. It may have to do with the fact that audio can be cut on a sub-farme level as compared to video. You should be able to delete the sliver.

Return to posts index

Hans Douma
on Mar 27, 2015 at 3:56:51 pm

Hi,

It's been a long time since you posted this issue and the reason I am reacting on it now is I am having the same problem in FCPX 10.1.4 as you did. My original footage is MTS and the audio sounds fine. It is only after importing it into FCPX random clicks occur. When I import the same footage into iMovie there is no problem. So the issue is definitively in FCPX>

I wonder, did you ever find a solution for it ?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]