FORUMS: list search recent posts

Final Cut Pro Studio quits on new install on laptop

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Hunter
Final Cut Pro Studio quits on new install on laptop
on Aug 16, 2008 at 3:07:23 pm

I am in Austria preparing to go to Mexico to work on a small film project that will use Final Cut Pro Studio 2.

I am working in Vienna on a new 4gb Imac desktop with a month old install of Final Cut Pro Studio 2 with Final Cut 6, Motion, etc.

The Mac shop we bought the Final Cut software from said it should not be a problem to install the same software on a laptop so that I can take it on the road when away from the office installation.

So today we installed the same discs onto a new MacBookPro laptop. But starting it up on the laptop says it cannot continue because another application with the identical serial number is already running "on your network".

During the initialization of the new MacBook Pro laptop we did not enable sharing on the local network. However, the laptop is setup with the same Viennese owner as the iMac desktop, just named as a different computer name.

Because English is my main language I set it up for English keyboard preferences.

It asked if I wanted to transfer information from another existing computer and I was tempted to say yes and wade down that pathway matching things up with the "master" iMac desktop where Final Cut was first installed. But decided not to take that route when it said I could do this later with the Migration utility.

So, the obvious question is how can I get Final Cut Studio to run as an secondary install application on the laptop for working on the road on the same projects while still available to me when I come back to the iMac where the same license was first installed?

I have seen responses on this forum that I should be able to do this. Plus, the certified Mac technician at the iMac only store assured us that this would not be a problem.

Oh, and the next question, since I asked for the English keyboard it seems that Final Cut Pro installed on the laptop assuming that I am working only with NTSC video and without the DVCPRO HD 720p50 codec installed (it started up enough to see this before it quit).

I want the English keyboard on the laptop as default but for Final Cut to give me all the PAL options that I will need for working with a Panasonic HVX200 purchased here in Austria configured for PAL.

Thanks for your expert opinions!

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: Final Cut Pro Studio quits on new install on laptop
on Aug 16, 2008 at 3:32:09 pm

You can definitely install FCP on your laptop, you just can't have both machines running on a network at the same time. So, you will need to take your older machine offline when installing FCP on the laptop.

BTW, there are many updates you need to run after installing, and you need to keep running the updater and rebooting until you get a message all of your software is up to date.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, and Indie Film & Documentary forums.

Return to posts index

David Hunter
on Aug 16, 2008 at 3:50:40 pm

Hi David,

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

I was looking forward to installing all the updates until the application quit.

I am somewhat new to Mac. How does this "network" get detected?

I don't have sharing configured on either machine to share anything. We have two iMac desktops sitting in this office and we don't even share with each other. I can't even send a print job through the network to the printer on my partner's machine.

And right now I am working on a Final cut project on the iMac desktop.

So what is the default "sharing" going on with these machines that the laptop is seeing the open final cut pro project running on the desktop? Since we are both accessing the same Netgear wireless modem for internet access are the Macs now "seeing" and communicating with each other on a "network" even though we have all sharing switched off?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Aug 16, 2008 at 4:04:49 pm

The folks at Apple are very smart and they have built-in a sophisticated anti-piracy scheme that sees FCP on any computer on the network, no matter what. You need to unplug the other machine from the network, otherwise you're gonna be out of luck. That's how Apple keeps people honest so they're not running entire farms of FCP off of a single licensed version of their software.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, and Indie Film & Documentary forums.

Return to posts index

David Hunter
on Aug 16, 2008 at 6:14:52 pm

Okay, so the "local network" Apple refers to is actually THE network...the internet.

But after turning off airport on my iMac in the office and uploading all updates for the new MacBook Pro laptop I started up Final Cut Pro without a problem.

The curious thing is that the Applications folder has a folder marked Final Cut Pro Additional Easy Setups. In the English folder I find the DVCPRO HD 720p50.fcpre file.

Clicking on informs me that Apple doesn't know what application would open this up. I have to tell it to show me all applications before it enables Final Cut Pro as a possible application to open up a "Final Cut Pro Setup file". But, Final Cut Pro doesn't know what to do with a .fcpre file!

I can not open up what are marked as Final Cut Pro Easy setup files with Final Cut Pro...

When I also try selecting a .fcpre file from the Files Open in Final Cut Pro Choose command I get an unknown file type.

Any codec setup I try in these folders fails to be recognized as a known file type.

Return to posts index

Chris Heuer
on Feb 1, 2010 at 11:28:55 pm

Sorry to bring this back, but I just got a system at work. I worked for 5 days before the IT guy could network my machine. Today he did. Now I'm logging in as another user on our network and Final Cut (on the network side) won't launch.

It will still launch if I log on to the computer (not through the network). Is this maybe the same issue you are describing?

Chris

Chris Heuer
Freefall FX, LLC

Return to posts index

Curt Needs
on Jul 25, 2012 at 4:49:34 pm

I'm also having a similar problem. Got to work and woke up my computer. There was a dialogue box that popped up and said that the network found another computer on the network with the same name. So, the network or my mac renamed the computer to NAMEOFCOMPUTER (3) instead of NAMEOFCOMPUTER (2).

This normally wouldn't be a problem, but I am a video editor trying to use Final Cut Studio. And now I can not access any FCS app while connected to the network or I'll get a message that says:

"Protection Error
This application cannot continue because another application with an identical serial number is already running on another computer on your network."

However, my computer IS the ONLY computer running these applications. So, I imagine the network is seeing my computer before it went to sleep AND the newly renamed copy of my computer as well?

I'm not the IT guy here at work, and unfortunately he is anti-Apple. So, if there's a solution apart from resetting the network (which involves bumping over a hundred people's computers off the network/internet), then please let me know!

Thank you for any help.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]