FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP & Toast 11 Pro won't burn Blu-ray disc

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Douglas Farrelly
FCP & Toast 11 Pro won't burn Blu-ray disc
on Nov 8, 2011 at 12:17:53 pm

Hi all

I have a major problem, I can't burn almost two hours of video to Blu-ray disc.

Heres what I've done so far using FCP:
Using share:
Create Blu-ray disc
Output device = PLEXTOR LB950UE
Template = I've tried with a template and without template

Some time later the disc is ejected and I get this message, "disc failed to burn" :-(

Heres what I've done so far using Toast 11 pro.
I've exported the H.264 video and the .ac3 audio from FCP to a folder I then brought them into Toast, create Blu-ray video (BDMV), in the options menu I tried both better and best, I've also tried it with a menu and without a menu, after many attempts I went into the custom settings I changing from MPEG-4 AVC to MPEG-2. Still nothing!

I then decided to check if I could burn a standard DVD using Toast, so I exported the footage as a m2v for a standard DVD, brought it into Toast, used DVD-video from the drop down, great it worked :-)

I've tried using several makes of disc, Traxdata BD-R, MediaRange BD-R, Verbatim BD-RE / BD-R, so I don't think it's a disc problem.

It's only when I use Toast or FCP to make a Blu-ray disc that I get these error messages:

The drive reported an error:
Sense Key = Medium error
Sense code = 0x0c
Writer error

Sense Key = Hardware error
Sense code = 0x3e, 0xD2
Timeout on logical unit

I've contacted Roxio and Plextor to find a solution, nothing yet!

At this stage I don't know what else to do.

Thanks in advane
Dougie

Return to posts index

Brad Wright
Re: FCP & Toast 11 Pro won't burn Blu-ray disc
on Nov 8, 2011 at 2:02:02 pm

Try making a Blu-ray with compressor. I've had problems with my blu-ray burner which I bought from http://mcetech.com/ It still doesn't read DVDs correctly, but with compressor I was able to burn Blu-ray disks. I wrote MCE about the problem, but they never resolved it. If Plextor doesn't resolve the issue, send the Blu-ray recorder back. I would not recommend using Toast for encoding anything. The H.264 encoder leaves lots of digital artifacts while Apple's compressor looks much better.

Brad Wright is software engineer, so it may be difficult to understand what he is saying. He is always happy to explain his greater detail.

Return to posts index

Douglas Farrelly
on Nov 8, 2011 at 2:37:37 pm

Hi Brad

Thanks for your advice.

Earlier today after reading some posts I decided to use compressor, that said It's still H.264 and it's estimated to take almost 10 hours to compress :-(

I didn’t realise that H.264 encoding leaves lots of digital artefacts, something I will be watching out for in the future.

What’s the work flow you use when burning Blu-ray or what settings do you think I should use to get the best quality, I don't mind how long it takes to do as the quality has to be as good as I can get it.

I really appreciate your help!!
Dougie

Return to posts index

Brad Wright
on Nov 8, 2011 at 3:10:31 pm

Yes, I've done some test encodings with Toast and video has been full of digital artifacts. Compressor does take time to encode H.264, however it does the very best H.264 encode job I've seen so far. It properly encodes interlaced video to H.264, as well. Usually, I just leave compressor running overnight. Matrox sells a the MXO with MAX which allows for much faster H.264 encoding. I haven't tried this yet, but I would certainly look into a hardware encoding option if I needed to do a lot of Blu-ray disks.

Brad Wright is software engineer, so it may be difficult to understand what he is saying. He is always happy to explain his greater detail.

Return to posts index

Douglas Farrelly
on Nov 8, 2011 at 3:49:38 pm

Should I keep going with compressor for the H.264 encode and then use toast to burn the Blu-ray or should I use some other encoding software?

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Nov 8, 2011 at 2:45:48 pm

I agree with Brad point.
That kind of errors normally comes from the media or the burner or a kind of combination of both.
As you have tried with different kind of disks I think you should try another burner.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Douglas Farrelly
on Nov 8, 2011 at 3:38:04 pm

Hi Rafael

Thanks a mill for your response.

What confuses me is that the burner is brand new and it burns DVDs no problem.

I've contacted Plextor about this situation and unfortunately they haven’t responded. I think a trip back to where I bought it is in order!
Dougie

Return to posts index

Brad Wright
on Nov 8, 2011 at 4:21:16 pm

Yes, I would go use compressor to encode and Toast to burn the final version.

Return to posts index

Chris Borjis
on Nov 8, 2011 at 5:16:22 pm

Make sure you go into the toast options and tell it not to re-encode if you have not already.

Also, your compressor setup should have virtual clustering turned on, that can dramatically decrease the encode time.

If you compress with mpeg2 which looks just fine at blu-ray bitrates that will also reduce the encoding time.

Return to posts index

Douglas Farrelly
on Nov 8, 2011 at 5:41:26 pm

Hi Chris

Thanks for your response!

I didn't do any of what you've mentioned.

I've just re-checked Toast now and the re-encode was on "Auto".

As for the virtual clustering in compressor, I'm not sure how this it done.

Is it down the bottom right in the "Share" dialog box? If so then I have a problem as it doesn't give me any options, it just has

CLUSTER = "This Computer"

Dougie

Return to posts index

Chris Babbitt
on Nov 8, 2011 at 5:24:13 pm

I use Toast 10 to burn blu-rays all the time, but I don't use h.264. Instead, I make an MPeg-2 file in Compressor. Don't look under DVD settings. Instead, go to Formats/Mpeg-2/Elementary Stream. Be sure to select Blu-Ray in the "Stream Usage" window. Take that into Toast, along with your audio file, and make sure you check "Re-Encode Never." MP2 makes bigger files than H.264, but will be fine for a 2-hour movie.
I have a Pioneer burner.

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
on Nov 8, 2011 at 5:40:48 pm

You didn't mention the size of your files in the original post?
Are you sure they fit? (thinking of the error)

Are you using BD-R 25GB?

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index

Douglas Farrelly
on Nov 8, 2011 at 5:59:11 pm

[Chris Tompkins] "You didn't mention the size of your files in the original post?
Are you sure they fit? (thinking of the error)

Are you using BD-R 25GB?"

Hi Chris

Sorry about that, the discs I tried were all 25GB both BD-R/BD-RE and the file size in total was around 21.26GB

Return to posts index

Douglas Farrelly
on Nov 8, 2011 at 6:11:53 pm

[Chris Babbitt] "I use Toast 10 to burn blu-rays all the time, but I don't use h.264. Instead, I make an MPeg-2 file in Compressor. Don't look under DVD settings. Instead, go to Formats/Mpeg-2/Elementary Stream. Be sure to select Blu-Ray in the "Stream Usage" window. Take that into Toast, along with your audio file, and make sure you check "Re-Encode Never." MP2 makes bigger files than H.264, but will be fine for a 2-hour movie.
I have a Pioneer burner."

Hi Chris

Thanks a mill for your responce. Have you any idea what size my 2-hour movie should be when I bring it into Toast?
Dougie

Return to posts index

Chris Babbitt
on Nov 8, 2011 at 7:01:33 pm

I believe the maximum capacity of a 25gb BD-R disc is 23.28 GB. I think if you encode at around 25 mbps average, you should be fine. Be sure to use AC3 (Dolby) audio.

Return to posts index

Chris Borjis
on Nov 8, 2011 at 10:49:54 pm

here's your cluster setup:

http://www.devia.be/news/article/setting-up-a-virtual-cluster-to-speed-up-c...

Return to posts index

Douglas Farrelly
on Nov 8, 2011 at 11:48:40 pm

[Chris Borjis] "here's your cluster setup:

http://www.devia.be/news/article/setting-up-a-virtual-cluster-to-speed-up-c....."

Chris thats fantastic!

My first job tomorrow is to setup a virtual cluster. I'll let you know how I get on.

Thanks a mill for all your help,

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on Nov 9, 2011 at 3:45:23 am

I have never had trouble burning Blu-rays using Toast 9, 10 or 11.
Encode to h.264 in Compressor using Matrox Compress HD card. Damm it's FAST!!!
Using Pioneer BDR-203 and BDR-206 burners.

Here is a great reference book:
Fast Path to Blu-ray by Bruce Nazarian

Step by step instructions to help you.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Douglas Farrelly
on Nov 10, 2011 at 10:10:32 am

Thanks Steve, I've just put through an order for "Fast Path to Blu-ray" by Bruce Nazarian.

Where I'm at now:
I've fixed one problem and created another. Although I can now encode the footage using the "Elementary Stream and an 2.0 .ac3 audio file through compressor, "happy days", when I bring the m2v and .ac3 files (both with the same name) into Toast using the settings Chris mentioned I'm not getting any audio on my Blu-ray disc, "not so happy days"

I'm really frustrated with it, that said I'll keep on trying...

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
on Nov 10, 2011 at 12:37:05 pm

I believe with Toast, if I remember right, you only import the vid track and IT will link to the audio track if it's the same name and in the same folder and bring it in for you.
Try that.

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index

Douglas Farrelly
on Nov 10, 2011 at 1:33:08 pm

[Chris Tompkins] "I believe with Toast, if I remember right, you only import the vid track and IT will link to the audio track if it's the same name and in the same folder and bring it in for you."

Hiya Chris
That’s what I have been doing, I'm not sure why it won't bring in the audio, there may be a problem with the software.

This morning I decided to try something different by saying "NO" instead of “YES” when Toast asked was the audio file in the same folder. I then manually brought the audio in and burned to a BD-RE and long behold it worked, I am delighted so far! :-)

As we speak I’m half way through burning a BD-R, so fingers crossed. I’ll let you know how it goes when it’s finished.

Return to posts index

Douglas Farrelly
on Nov 12, 2011 at 7:23:27 pm

[Douglas Farrelly] "As we speak I’m half way through burning a BD-R, so fingers crossed. I’ll let you know how it goes when it’s finished."

Hi guys, just wanted to update you: Turns out that I can't burn BD-R's using Toast, I can however burn them on the pc using Adobe and also the software that came with the Plextor burner.

I'm still waiting for Roxio to get back to me. :-(

Return to posts index

Ken Barnes
on Nov 7, 2012 at 11:09:35 am

Hi Steve,

This is an old post but if you're still getting replies, I have a question since you're a Matrox person. (Matrox Customer Support is rubbish)

I have Matrox MX02 Max. I used compressor to make a .264 file (there is no 'h' before the period in the file) However, nothing accepts this file. Neither toast, nor encore, nor matrox vetura playback.

I just want to burn a BluRay disk with the 18gb file. Toast says the .264 file is "an unsupported format and cannot be imported"

I tried custom settings in the encode window in Toast 11.04 but no joy.

Any ideas? Which Compressor>MatroxMX02> settings do you recommend? What is the final format that Toast will accept?

Thanks, Ken

'It's not a question of becoming. It's a question of uncovering what you really are, of letting everything that is not yourself fall away'. - Journey to Ladakh

I think this applies to editing as well....

Ken Barnes, Producer, Director, Editor
http://www.blissmonkeyfilms.com

Return to posts index

David Eaks
on Nov 7, 2012 at 12:58:29 pm

Hi Ken,

Do you have Chapter Markers in the video file? Toast won't accept files encoded with Matrox MAX if it has chapter markers.

Return to posts index

Ken Barnes
on Nov 7, 2012 at 7:02:20 pm

Hi,

Yes I had Chapter Markers. Perhaps that's the culprit!

I ended up making a m2v in Compressor using Blue Ray settings. It was accepted fine. I wonder if there's any difference in quality between what Matrox can do and this method? Matrox is definitely faster.

I'm going to try a Matrox version without chapter markers now. I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks a lot!

Ken

'It's not a question of becoming. It's a question of uncovering what you really are, of letting everything that is not yourself fall away'. - Journey to Ladakh

I think this applies to editing as well....

Ken Barnes, Producer, Director, Editor
http://www.blissmonkeyfilms.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]