FORUMS: list search recent posts

Rip Van Winkle just woke up

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve Ford
Rip Van Winkle just woke up
on Aug 19, 2011 at 6:51:16 pm

I've had my head in the sand up until this week and had no idea what had happened to FCP. Towards the end of the year I will have to make a decision whether or not to stay in FCP when we update our system.

It has been six years since our last update and I'm still running on version 5.0.1. We still have two tape decks that I will need to continue to draw footage from, so deck control and digitizing is a big issue to us.

I do mostly short videos or commercials and spend most of my time in After Effects and just use FCP as a compositor. Here is my question, should I jump ship or not. Second question, if I do jump ship... which way should I head? I could really use some help on this one and any input is greatly appreciated.

Return to posts index

Chris Borjis
Re: Rip Van Winkle just woke up
on Aug 19, 2011 at 7:10:20 pm

if you use after effects often I would head to the CS5.5 production suite.

Adobe is offering it for a great price until the end of september.

Return to posts index

Steve Ford
on Aug 19, 2011 at 8:29:28 pm

So getting all doe eyed about AVID just because of the name is probably a dumb idea huh?

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Aug 19, 2011 at 8:30:29 pm

(Psst. don't tell him about Darth Vader being Luke's dad... )

As an FCP7 fan and user, I agree if you spend a lot of time in aftereffects, might as well buy the "dongle" program that comes with it:-) Seriously, Premiere and all the stuff you get bundled withm it is very powerful, like the FCP suite was, and you have abuilt-in community of support and resources for Premiere and AE here that is very deep. FCPX may be the go-to thing *some day*, but for now, it's not soup yet.

Return to posts index

Richard Cooper
on Aug 20, 2011 at 12:42:51 am

Yes, the CS5.5 suite makes a lot of sense for you, but honestly...? if you are still on FCP5 and happy, you could upgrade to FCS3 and be blown away at the improvements from FCP5.... and be happy for another 5 years! Hehehe, Just poking a little fun at you.
Yes, I know they don't sell FCS3 any more but you can find a copy or 2 out there on ebay or here at the Cow.

And I can say with a fair amount of certainty, that in five years EVERYTHING we are working with now will seem like the stone age and you can upgrade to the "newest, best thing out there" at that point.... 'cause, well.... maybe in 5 years FCPX will actually be a Pro app at that point. ;~)

Richard Cooper
FrostLine Productions, LLC
Anchorage, Alaska
http://www.frostlineproductions.com

Return to posts index

Steve Ford
on Aug 20, 2011 at 1:14:06 am

Modern technology changes aside, it's beginning to look like the consensus plays out where Premier will be easier to learn, better to work in combo with AE and you get to enjoy a great bundle to support the main program. I talked with one editor who switched from Sony to Premier and remarked that Premier is more cumbersome.

AVID is tougher to learn but once you have it down and purchase the right preferentials, you can go pretty fast. You loose the interconnection with AE. I don't know how easy it will be to export, and what I'll need for deck control of our older equipment or what I'm going to have to purchase to create DVDs. Lastly, how much more it will cost to hang up the AVID sign.

How close did i get?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]