FORUMS: list search recent posts

PSD Gradient still has banding issues once brought into FCP

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bryan Haney
PSD Gradient still has banding issues once brought into FCP
on Aug 15, 2011 at 6:28:38 pm

I know this is an old and timely problem. But can anyone help me or point mein the right direction. I have created a BKGRND screen in PS, it contains a gradient. It's a reddish color gradient that is the BKGRND when some print work and logos appear onscreen. My problem occurs when i bring this file into FCP. Once this still is brought into the video world, it has a banding. The banding goes along with gradient, so the banding occurs in a circular motion. (Small circles in the middle and larger circles on the outside). Does anyone know how i can fix this? Do i need to compress it differently?? Right now I'm bringing it into FCP as a .png, is this wrong? Any help anyone can give would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Bryan

P.S. I've also posted this on the FCP section of the forum page

Return to posts index

Bryan Haney
Re: PSD Gradient still has banding issues once brought into FCP
on Aug 15, 2011 at 6:29:42 pm

The P.S. on this was meant for the PS folks, sorry should have switched it to say, I've posted that.

Return to posts index

Matt Campbell
on Aug 15, 2011 at 7:11:42 pm

What are your sequence settings? Use the high quality code like prores 422 and make try using 10 bit vs. 8 bit. Save your PNG file as progressive and work in a progressive sequence.

OS 10.6.3, Mac Pro 2 x 2.66 ghz quad-core intel xenon, 16 gb ram, with BM Intensity Pro card

Return to posts index

Bryan Haney
on Aug 16, 2011 at 3:10:10 pm

My sequence is at ProRes and I'm at 10-bit. Does it have anything to do with the way I'm exporting out of PSD? No one on the PSD forum is getting back to me.

Thanks, any help would be appreciated

Bryan

Return to posts index

Matt Campbell
on Aug 16, 2011 at 5:20:53 pm

How are you viewing the output? With an external broadcast monitor or even a TV, the image should look clear. If using you computer monitor, set your canvas to 100% and Option R your timeline to render/write the video. This might take some time but will provide full res playback and should, look like smooth gradient. If not, it then has to be your file. Try exporting a TIF. Making sure your file is 72 dpi and at the proper frame size as your sequence. Best to use Photoshop presets for new document and go from there.

Hope this helps.

OS 10.6.3, Mac Pro 2 x 2.66 ghz quad-core intel xenon, 16 gb ram, with BM Intensity Pro card

Return to posts index

Darby Edelen
on Aug 16, 2011 at 5:25:02 pm

In all honesty I'm not a regular FCP user. It's been years since I used it in school. From what I remember, I would recommend checking your scopes to make sure you're getting good distribution of color values.

Now, coming from the Photoshop/After Effects side of things (my bread and butter) the cure all for alleviating banding in a gradient is to add a small amount of noise. This is a quick and dirty way of dithering the gradient. If you can apply a noise filter in FCP then I would recommend doing that to your gradient file.

Also make sure that you're previewing at full render quality as previously suggested in this thread.

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

Chris Wiggles
on Aug 17, 2011 at 9:55:06 pm

Does FCP re-map incoming images to video range? This would cause banding problems on gradients.

I don't really do critical work with FCP, so I've never investigated/cared about this, but sRGB/graphics range is not the same as the video range. And if you've got 8-bit stuff going on, that's going to choke if you do any remapping.

Regards,
Chris

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]