FORUMS: list search recent posts

Thunderbolt --> eSata adapter ??

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Fredy Schwerdtner
Thunderbolt --> eSata adapter ??
on Jun 19, 2011 at 3:13:18 pm

Hi guys,
I had been working on a MacBook Pro from late 2009 (2.5 MHz Intel Core dual) and to get a better and faster connection with my external HDs I decided to build a RAID on an external enclosure with 3TB in total and with an esata connection through an ExpressCard adapter from Sonic. It was working fine. Not as fast as I would like, but OK.
Now I have changed my machine to a new iMac 2.7 GHz 4 Cores i5 and 4 times more RAM (16) …. but I'm back to the limit of the firewire 800 with my RAID as the enclosure doesn't have thunderbolt and iMac doesn't have esata.
Does anybody know if there is already in the market an adapter for esata --> Thunderbolt ?

Thanks,
Fredy

iMac 2.7 GHz Intel 4 Core i5
16 GB memory

MacBook Pro 17"
2.5 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
6GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

OWC RAID 5 with 3TB
(2) External HD LaCieMac (400/800 FW and USB)with 500GB -(2) USB External HD Western Digital (in cases) with 750GB
OS X 10.6.5
Final Cut Studio "3"

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
Re: Thunderbolt --> eSata adapter ??
on Jun 19, 2011 at 3:32:56 pm

This may be your only option.
http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/turnkey/iMac_2010_27

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Fredy Schwerdtner
on Jun 19, 2011 at 6:11:50 pm

thanks for your answer but I'm in Brasil ... too far away from OWC. In fact my HD enclosure (RAID) I bought from them.
I guess I will have to wait for Lion, FCP X, new MacPro to see what I'm looking for or wait for an affordable thundebolt enclosure ... lol

Thanks anyway.

16 GB memory

MacBook Pro 17"
2.5 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
6GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

OWC RAID 5 with 3TB
(2) External HD LaCieMac (400/800 FW and USB)with 500GB -(2) USB External HD Western Digital (in cases) with 750GB
OS X 10.6.5
Final Cut Studio "3"

Return to posts index

Thomas Morter-Laing
on Nov 15, 2011 at 1:42:50 pm

I appreciate this thread isnt exactly new any more, but might be worth a look at this:
http://www.sonnettech.com/product/echoexpresscard34thunderbolt.html

:D

:D
Tom Morter-Laing
Freelance Editor,
Certified Apple Product Proffessional, 2010
http://www.depictproductions.co.uk

Sony Z5, with Rode NTG2.
iMac 27" intel i7 2.93GHz, 12GB RAM, ATI HD5750 [1GB GDDR5], 2TB Int. SATA with 2TB External HDD; (FW800), with Elgato Turbo H264HD.

Return to posts index

Fredy Schwerdtner
on Nov 26, 2011 at 9:08:09 pm

Thanks for the information. I've already bought it, (3 more days for shipping) specially because I already have the ExpressCard 34 adapter from Sonnet to use with it. I have been using the ExpressCard 34 adapter with my MacBook Pro.

Greetings.

16 GB memory

MacBook Pro 17"
2.5 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
6GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

OWC RAID 5 with 3TB
OS X 10.6.5
Final Cut Studio "3"

Return to posts index

Thomas Morter-Laing
on Nov 28, 2011 at 2:22:41 pm

Hi again- has it arrived? Because i would like to buy one but am very confused by this: http://www.scidailynews.com/sonnet-echo-expresscard34-thunderbolt-adapter.h...

That one is what I can buy in the UK but it seems to look very different to the one on the Sonnet website :S Any ideas? :D

Tom Morter-Laing
Editor

------------------------------
Thanks if you can help :D

Equipment (not for 'bragging', but in case it's relevant to future posts :D): Canon 7D, with Rode NTG2.
iMac 27" intel i7 3.4GHz, 12GB RAM, ATI HD 6970M [2GB GDDR5], G-Tech G-RAID 2TB (soon to be over eSata!). Elgato Turbo H264HD.

Return to posts index

Andy Mees
on Nov 28, 2011 at 4:24:14 pm

Interseting catch Thomas, the build does look considerably less rugged in the "scidaily" advertised version:

Sonnet website version:

Science Daily News version:

I do hope the latter is just an old mockup as I much prefer the rugged design and can see a lot of these in use on our newer field laptop kits .

Return to posts index

Fredy Schwerdtner
on Dec 1, 2011 at 9:46:35 pm

It hasn't arrived yet. I believe the black one was a mockup as Andy said and a sales person at OWC, where i've bought from, told me the same.
I hope it does what is says. At least the Sonnet eSata ExpressCard Adapter works great with my MacBook Pro.

16 GB memory

MacBook Pro 17"
2.5 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
6GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

OWC RAID 5 with 3TB
OS X 10.6.5
Final Cut Studio "3"

Return to posts index

Fredy Schwerdtner
on Jan 2, 2012 at 9:26:41 pm

Guys, my adapter from Sonnet has arrived.
I installed it connected to my iMac via Apple's Thunderbolt cable in one side and at the other side I have the Sonnet Tempo Sata ExpressCard 34 Adapter (http://www.sonnettech.com/product/temposataproexpress34.html) in it connected to my OWC Enclosure with 4 TB - Raid 5 (http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/hard-drives/RAID/Desktop/) via the esata port.
So far I could notice a much better skimming with FCPX.

16 GB memory

MacBook Pro 17"
2.5 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
6GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

OWC RAID 5 with 3TB
OS X 10.6.5
Final Cut Studio "3"

Return to posts index

Ron Priest
on Jan 19, 2012 at 7:28:49 am

So Fredy, tell us more! So far so good? I've been looking all over the internet for a good working review of this adapter when used with Sonnet's Tempo Sata Pro ExpressCard/34 adapter. I'm wanting to use it on a new iMac with a FirmTek external eSATA 5 Bay enclosure. It all works okay on my 17" MacBook Pro with the Tempo Sata Pro card in the MBP 34 card slot. So, I'm hoping it will work just as good on a new iMac via the Thunderbolt eSata Adapter.

Ron Priest
Videographer
Louisville, KY

Return to posts index

Fredy Schwerdtner
on Jan 19, 2012 at 4:22:24 pm

Hi Ron,
Well, I'm thinking it is working very good. You can immediately notice the difference between having your raid connected with your iMac through the Thunderbolt adapter on eSata with the Sonnet's Tempo Sata Pro ExpressCard/34 adapter and the FW 800. Skimming on FCPX runs fantastic. Render with my Raid enclosure is much faster, also with FCP 7. But I have somethings to say about it but they don't compromise.

1- The Thunderbolt Adapter gets pretty hot, even if you are not working with it. Just because it is cable connected, it gets hot.
2- When I used to use the Sonnet's Tempo Sata Pro ExpressCard/34 adapter with my MacBook Pro it also used to get hot but at least, its "drive" or "firmware" had a little icon installed on menu bar on desktop with which I could unmount it and then it cooled. The new Thunderbolt adapter doesn't have a way to unmount or a bottom to turn on/off. I have to unmount the whole Raid Enclosure and then disconnect the Thunderbolt cable.

Anything else, let me know.
Greeting,
Fredy.

16 GB memory

MacBook Pro 17"
2.5 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
6GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

OWC RAID 5 with 3TB
OS X 10.6.5
Final Cut Studio "3"

Return to posts index

Ron Priest
on Jan 19, 2012 at 4:54:52 pm

Thanks Fredy for that update, I appreciate it. I haven't purchased my iMac yet. I've been waiting to purchase it until a good solution came along for editing FCP 7 and to start learning FCP X on it using my eSata enclosures. This TB to Express/Card 34 adapter seems to be the ticket. I have a MacBook Pro with TB, but I still do most of my in studio editing on my old 2006 MacPro and it of course, does't have TB. So, I don't want to rush right out and purchase TB Enclosures if I can't access them on my Mac Pro to accomplish color correction and encoding for DVD/Blu-ray. I don't want to be rushed into learning FCP X and will still need to edit most of my current projects in FCP 7, although on the new iMac, and only accomplish color correction and encoding on the old Mac Pro.

I'm going to make this thread known to some other videographers over at Video University. Some of them may have questions for your also.

Thanks again.

Ron Priest
Videographer
Louisville, KY

Return to posts index

Thomas Morter-Laing
on Jan 19, 2012 at 6:17:46 pm

I too have the concern about the adapter getting pretty hot! The read speeds are good though. Incidentally in regards to the write speed issue thing, this is a problem being worked out with the people who supplied me with the adapter- although I've promised not to say anything yet( some stuff may be going down between a couple of big manufacturers ;), I would advise to anyone NOT to buy the standard esata card at this time- get the Tempo Pro version. I'm sure I can elaborate in a few days time :)

Tom Morter-Laing
Editor

Equipment (not for 'bragging', but in case it's relevant to future posts :D): Canon 7D, with Rode NTG2.
iMac 27" intel i7 3.4GHz, 12GB RAM, ATI HD 6970M [2GB GDDR5], G-Tech G-RAID 2TB (soon to be over eSata!). Elgato Turbo H264HD.

Return to posts index

Ron Priest
on Jan 19, 2012 at 6:24:34 pm

[Thomas Morter-Laing] " I would advise to anyone NOT to buy the standard esata card at this time- get the Tempo Pro version. I'm sure I can elaborate in a few days time :)"

Okay, well that's the eSata card I currently have so maybe I'm in good shape then. When do you suppose you can let us in on the additional information you have Thomas?

Ron Priest
Videographer
Louisville, KY

Return to posts index

Thomas Morter-Laing
on Jan 19, 2012 at 6:28:41 pm

You have which, the Pro version?

Apparently a statement may be released as early as Monday- I'm sure it wouldn't be the end of the world, but I'd rather not betray confidence of my retailer who has direct communication with the involved parties :)

Tom Morter-Laing
Editor

Return to posts index

Ron Priest
on Jan 19, 2012 at 6:32:40 pm

[Thomas Morter-Laing] "You have which, the Pro version?"

Yes, I have the Tempo SATA Pro Card

Ron Priest
Videographer
Louisville, KY

Return to posts index

Thomas Morter-Laing
on Jan 20, 2012 at 3:21:17 pm

Fredy and Ron, i you have a chance could you use a utility to give me the read and write speeds of your drives when in use with the thunderbolt-express card adapter please?

(This is a free one: iMac 27" intel i7 3.4GHz, 12GB RAM, ATI HD 6970M [2GB GDDR5], G-Tech G-RAID 2TB (soon to be over eSata!). Elgato Turbo H264HD.

Return to posts index

Thomas Morter-Laing
on Jan 20, 2012 at 3:22:13 pm

And now the link lol: http://bit.ly/xijRau

Tom Morter-Laing
Editor

Return to posts index

Ron Priest
on Feb 16, 2012 at 12:04:26 am

Hey guys. Okay, so I couldn't stand it any longer, I just had to know if the Echo TB Adapter would work for me on the iMac using a simple 2 Drive eSATA enclosure configured as a JBOD with separate eSATA connectors for each drive. So far so good! I'm using the Sonnet Tempo SATA Pro ExpressCard/34 with just a single eSATA drive connected via the Echo TB adapter.

I have a wedding project that I am working on in FCP7 which I had captured to this eSATA drive on my Mac Pro and transcoded it to ProRes 422 on the fly. So I simply connected it to the iMac and started importing the original captured files to a new event as reference files (not re-copying the original files).

I've elected to analyze the video on import for color, shake and people, etc, so that's taking a while, but I can simply start editing and am having no problems whatsoever (knock on wood).

I'm not really sure how to measure disk write and read speeds, and I know I'm not getting as high as I could if I was using a RAID versus JBOD, but honestly, the readings I am getting using Blackmagic Design's Disk Speed Test application Version 2.1 downloaded from the Mac App Store is indicting almost the same speeds as I am getting on the Mac Pro with an external eSATA multiplex Enclosure configured as a JBOD. On the Mac Pro, it measures 81.3 MB/s Write and 83.9 MB/s Read. It's about in the same ballpark on the iMac with the Echo TB adapter as far as the read speed, but the write speed is a little slower. I think that's a know issue that Sonnet is about to have a fix for, I've heard they are working on it with Apple anyway So hopefully that issue will be resolved soon.

The bottom line is, I can skim, playback and everything else so far, just as smooth as ice without seeing any spinning beach balls so that's a big plus! If I can continue working like this until I can afford to purchase the Promise Pegasus TB enclosure, I will be a happy camper.

Ron Priest
Videographer
Louisville, KY

Return to posts index

Ron Priest
on Feb 11, 2012 at 4:48:35 am

"Fredy and Ron, i you have a chance could you use a utility to give me the read and write speeds of your drives when in use with the thunderbolt-express card adapter please?"

Hey Thomas, I haven't purchased the Sonnet Echo Thunderbolt Adapter yet, had to work on purchasing the new iMac and FCPX first. Now that I have them both and am learning FCPX, I think I have about decided to order the Echo Adapter. B&H is selling it for $20 cheaper than everyone else, and it's free shipping so I think I will order it come Saturday night after B&H opens back for ordering. If so, I should have it by Wednesday of next week. I really want to get the 8 TB Promise Pegasus RAID, but just don't have the extra coin right now and am anxious to start editing in FCPX. I have an eSATA enclosure (not a raid) which holds two separate SATA 3.5 7200 rpm drives, so that's what I'm hoping I can use in FCPX on my new 3.4 GHZ i7 iMac until I can save up for the Pegasus RAID. I plan on capturing and editing in ProRes 422 (I'm still capturing tape) I can capture in ProRes 422 in real time on my old 2006 MacPro via my eSATA JBOD setup using the Sonnet Tempo Pro PCI express card. I know the eSATA drives won't be any faster on the new iMac via the Sonnet Echo Adapter, but if it is at least as fast as everything is on my old MacPro in FCP7 I would hope I can edit FCPX on the iMac.

What is the latest, have you heard any new news from Sonnet about the Echo Adapter? Did you order yours yet? I'll do that speed test for you next week after I get the Adapter.

Fredy, how are you coming along with your adapter? Is is still getting hot? I'm wondering if it runs hotter for you running a RAID then it will for me running in standard JBOD mode?

Ron Priest
Videographer
Louisville, KY

Return to posts index

Rory Newman
on Jun 8, 2012 at 5:07:19 pm

I've got a new iMac and an old MBP which doesn't have an express card port.

This is what I was considering:

Getting the Lacie Thunderbolt to eSata hub, which allows 2 x eSata ins, and has 2 thunderbolt outs for daisy chaining/display port etc.

You can get Verbatim 2TB drives (£85) that have both eSata and USB 2.0 connectors. This would mean I'd get eSata speed editing on the new iMac but could still plug into old USB 2 Macs like my MBP, my mates' the colleges' etc.

Any thoughts?

Lacie say that as each eSata port can take up to 3 Gb/s, you can have 2 drives and if both are running then that's 6 Gb/s theoretical max.

So if I bought 2 drives, could I stripe them together to create one Raid 0 drive and have superfast read/write speeds?

If I then took these drives and plugged them into an old mac via 2 USB 2.0 ports, would they show up as one Raid O drive and thus give me faster speeds?

Help appreciated.

27" iMac 3.4ghz i7 16GB Ram

Return to posts index

Mick Kalber
on Jan 29, 2012 at 11:41:06 am

OK.... Time to upgrade. Am considering iMac with Thunderbolt, but having read that some folks (altho not all) are struggling with the reliability of the Pegasus Raids, I'm thinking about hooking up my current Raid array (4 enclosures, 5-500Gb drives in each, with one eSata port multiplier on each) via Thunderbolt using Sonnet's Tempo Sata Pro ExpressCard/34 adapter. If I'm reading the specs correctly, I should be able to connect two enclosures with each adapter to the two Thunderbolt ports on the iMac, correct? Will this work, or have I missed something here? Figured I'd wait to pick up the Thunderbolt Pegasus R6 array until the issues seem to be resolved. At that time I'll abandon the eSata array and just use Thunderbolt. BTW, which Thunderbolt arrays are the best... Pegasus, Sonnet, or another manufacturer? Does there seem to be a consensus, or is that debatable? Also, I know that FCP 7 has been discontinued, but is it still available... and if so, where? As always, CC advice is greatly appreciated!

Aloha!

Mick Kalber
Tropical Visions Video, Inc.
Hilo, Hawaii

Return to posts index

Thomas Morter-Laing
on Jan 29, 2012 at 11:52:29 am

[Mick Kalber] If I'm reading the specs correctly, I should be able to connect two enclosures with each adapter to the two Thunderbolt ports on the iMac, correct? Will this work, or have I missed something here?

---I assume you mean also using their Echo ExpressCard /34 Thunderbolt adapter? Yes that will work fine, and the read speeds should pretty much max out at 200MB/s- it almost does on standard G-Raids in RAID 0. However, based on what I currently know the write speeds will max out at 80MB/s which is not much more than you could get with FW800. Thats at THIS stage, Sonnet are apparently working some stuff out with Apple as we speak.

Figured I'd wait to pick up the Thunderbolt Pegasus R6 array until the issues seem to be resolved. At that time I'll abandon the eSata array and just use Thunderbolt. BTW, which Thunderbolt arrays are the best... Pegasus, Sonnet, or another manufacturer? Does there seem to be a consensus, or is that debatable? Also, I know that FCP 7 has been discontinued, but is it still available... and if so, where? As always, CC advice is greatly appreciated!"

Huh? So now you're saying you want just thunderbolt drives? Cool, well that would be a ton faster (but more expensive) at this point. I gather the specs of most thunderbolt RAIDs are pretty much the same here, and you won't notice much difference at this stage- I'd go with Sonnet because their customer relations has been very good so far.

I gather you can still buy Final Cut Studio 3 but by telephone only, so give them a call :) Or try Amazon.

Tom Morter-Laing
Editor

iMac 27" intel i7 3.4GHz, 12GB RAM, ATI HD 6970M [2GB GDDR5], 2x G-Tech G-RAID (0) 2TB over Thunderbolt via Sonnet Echo ExpressCard/34 Thunderbolt adapter and Tempo™ SATA ExpressCard/34. Elgato Turbo H264HD.

Return to posts index

Mick Kalber
on Jan 29, 2012 at 10:27:46 pm

Sorry... Wasn't clear... I have a project whose media lives on my current raids to finish up, then I'd like to go thunderbolt, if it's reliable. But I'm not sure the read/write speeds will be fast enough using the adapters. Project is HDCAM 4:2:2 uncompressed (don't ask y), which I think requires faster speeds than 80 Mb. Guess I could redigitize at pro res... that would require less speed, wouldn't it? Maybe I should just go thunderbolt and redigitize material to those drives. Thots? Mahalo.

Mick Kalber
Hilo, Hawaii

Return to posts index

Thomas Morter-Laing
on Jan 29, 2012 at 10:39:46 pm

Ah cool, I get it :D

[Mick Kalber] " Project is HDCAM 4:2:2 uncompressed (don't ask y), which I think requires faster speeds than 80 Mb. Guess I could redigitize at pro res... that would require less speed, wouldn't it? Maybe I should just go thunderbolt and redigitize material to those drives.

Its only 80MB WRITE mind you, read of almost 200 should totally handle HDCAM... so for scrubbing and reading whilst editing, Im not sure what problems you'd get. Isn't it normally a good idea to transcode HDCAM stuff to prores anyway? Also (sorry HDCAM isn't my usual format) but off the top of my head, aren't there a bunch of 'flavours' to it, some of which are only about 600Mbits? (which is roughly 75Mbites anyway, so should be cool)...as I said, thats some VERY sketchy memory there though :)

ALSO as I suggested, Sonnet are trying to sort it- they're fully aware of the slow write speed and what it should be, and Ive had numerous hints from a technician there about it, so hopefully something should give on one end soon and an update to allow faster write speeds should happen. Apparently in their original iterations of the device it wrote just as fast with a Tempo Sata Pro (i.e. 200MB/s) but Apple did something when they actually released thunderbolt public which changed the technology EVER so slightly, but enough to cause issues- so Im not sure. Its up to you, depending on how much money vs time etc is at stake :D I know I would personally be happy with buying the Sonnet adapters because it gives full express card capability and hope/wait for Sonnet to update something soon, but then as it stands my deadlines a ret super close and I don't have money riding on any time like you may or may not be :)

Tom Morter-Laing
Twitter- @TomTheEditor

iMac 27" intel i7 3.4GHz, 12GB RAM, ATI HD 6970M [2GB GDDR5], 2x G-Tech G-RAID (0) 2TB over Thunderbolt via Sonnet Echo ExpressCard/34 Thunderbolt adapter and Tempo™ SATA ExpressCard/34. Elgato Turbo H264HD.

Return to posts index

Mick Kalber
on Jan 29, 2012 at 10:55:00 pm

Yes, I've been told to use prores, but have just never done it. Current project was done on FCP 6.0.1... system crashed... came back with 6.0 installed, and I have no upgrade capability. If I could get to 6.0.1 or higher, I could finish at project on my G5. But trying to find FCP 6.0.1 has been a nightmare. System is 6 1/2 yrs old, and it's time to upgrade anyway. Have a HUGE project upcoming and would love to have iMac/thunderbolt system in place for that. I'm just trying to figure out the best solution. Current project needs to get done, but not yesterday... client is flexible. I live in the hinterlands... Big Island of Hawaii... and am largely out of touch with the industry except what I read on the cow, etc. Not easy living in a video wasteland. Open to any suggestions.

Mick Kalber
Hilo, Hawaii

Return to posts index

Mick Kalber
on Jan 29, 2012 at 10:40:32 pm

Sorry... Wasn't clear... I have a project whose media lives on my current raids to finish up, then I'd like to go thunderbolt, if it's reliable. But I'm not sure the read/write speeds will be fast enough using the adapters. Project is HDCAM 4:2:2 uncompressed (don't ask y), which I think requires faster speeds than 80 Mb. Guess I could redigitize at pro res... that would require less speed, wouldn't it? Maybe I should just go thunderbolt and redigitize material to those drives. Thots? Mahalo.

Mick Kalber
Hilo, Hawaii

Return to posts index

Evan Crush
on Apr 6, 2012 at 4:49:12 pm

Hey check this out:
http://www.lacie.com/us/products/product.htm?id=10574

2seSATA to THB with daisy chain and what seems to be nice perfomances even in writes.

We'd need to test it but looks promising.

Return to posts index

Ron Priest
on Apr 6, 2012 at 6:23:23 pm

Yes, I got wind of that yesterday. If I hadn't already purchased the Sonnet Echo Thunderbolt Adapter, I would probably purchase it, but I'm doing okay with the Echo now that I've got a stable driver to work that doesn't cause Kernal Panic Attacks on my MacPro and MBP.

I was looking on LaCie's site trying to determine if their new Thunderbolt Adapter was port multiplier-aware, and works with enclosures with hardware RAID controllers using the port multiplier? So far, I've found no indication that it is, unless I've overlooked it on their site.

I would sure like to know the speed test results from using the Black Magic Disk Test Utility and anyone gets their hands on one. If I got true 3GB speeds, then I would go with it versus the Promise Pegasus RAID, but I've about resolved to thinking that's the only route that's going to give me worry free speed for editing multiple streams of ProRes in FCPX.

Ron Priest
Videographer
Louisville, KY

Return to posts index

Thomas Morter-Laing
on Apr 6, 2012 at 8:45:57 pm

Sonnet really needs to step up their game here- the write speed issues it faces across the board needs to be addressed, it's been like this for too long now and in terms of write speed, there's no point in having one- FireWire 800 is actually often better at the moment. I don't know if it's a driver update or something they need to get Apple to do, but I'm thinking I return it saying it doesn't do what it says on the tin and get a LaCie.... they pretty much have until that LaCie adapter starts selling in the Uk before I kick off.

Tom Morter-Laing
Twitter- @TomTheEditor

Return to posts index

Evan Crush
on Apr 6, 2012 at 9:21:01 pm

@Thomas: it ships in the UK from their website £169 but from no where else from what I've seen.

@Ron: about your port multiplier support, it took me a while to figure it out but from the list of product they recommend it with it should support product with Hardware RAID controller because the 2big and 4big they list do have hardware RAID controllers (I have a 4big 4TB). BUT the 4big that I have doesn't support JBOD or multi LUNs so this doesn't mean it supports port multiplier. In deed the RAID controller "masks" the drives behind it and therefore "shows" just one drive whih is in fact a collection of 4 drives in RAID 0 or 5...

Last if it did spport it I'd bet they would have pushed it... but the good news is that as long as you have an eSATA multi drive solution that has a RAID chip inside it should do good.

Any way I'll get back to you in 2 days... As I ordered it and they said it would ship today... :)

So i'll make a test and post an BM benchmark. They say it's "optimized" for my 4big we'll see what it means!!

Return to posts index

Ron Priest
on Apr 6, 2012 at 9:34:15 pm

[Evan Crush] "Any way I'll get back to you in 2 days... As I ordered it and they said it would ship today... :)

So i'll make a test and post an BM benchmark. They say it's "optimized" for my 4big we'll see what it means!!"

Great, I'll be looking forward to your report. What I really need to know though, is the read and write speeds of a single eSATA drive connected as a JBOD.

Right now, Im using the Sonnet echo TB adapter and connected to it I have an external eSATA enclosure that holds 2 SATA drives both with their own eSATA connection. I use it as 2 single drives (JBOD). Right now, I'm not getting much faster write/read then I do with a SATA drive connected via firewire 800. Getting about 70 MBs write, and 90-100 MBs read.

I wonder how long I have before I could send the Sonnet TB adapter back? I purchased it from B&H, I would probably have to get a return authorization directly from Sonnet.

Ron Priest
Videographer
Louisville, KY

Return to posts index

Evan Crush
on Apr 6, 2012 at 9:49:58 pm

@Ron: I don't have this type of enclosure and I don't think it would work as per the port multiplier "thing". But i'll try to be creative (sounds like a moto deosn't it?) to get back to you with something.

I have an eSATA drive (with a single drive inside) also so i'll put in a 7200rpm drive and come up with a bench with the 4big and the eSATa drive connected to see how it behaves with 2 drives connected... wait and see

Return to posts index

Thomas Morter-Laing
on Apr 7, 2012 at 1:19:19 am

Ron- your read speeds should be twice that, mine are over double FW800, it's just the write which has issues for me- but something I expect Sonnet to sort or I too will be complaining- I'm going to email them tomorrow about it.

Tom Morter-Laing
Twitter- @TomTheEditor

Return to posts index

Ron Priest
on Apr 7, 2012 at 1:51:36 am

[Thomas Morter-Laing] "Ron- your read speeds should be twice that, mine are over double FW800, it's just the write which has issues for me- but something I expect Sonnet to sort or I too will be complaining- I'm going to email them tomorrow about it."

Really? I just checked again and I'm only getting 64.9 write and 104.2 read. Once again, this is just using a single 7200 RPM SATA drive connected as JBOD.

Checking with the internal drive I'm getting 121.2 write and 121.4 read. This is a brand new i7 iMac with 16GB RAM.

Ron Priest
Videographer
Louisville, KY

Return to posts index

Thomas Morter-Laing
on Apr 10, 2012 at 11:23:17 am

Ron- I checked yesterday and my internal drives are about 10 short of that :S - although Im hopeing thats because mine are 3/4's full (if anyone cares to elaborate on that, would be great :D)

But yes, I'm getting about 180MBs read speed (my write speed's about the same though - not much more than 70 ever).

If anyone gets hold of the Lacie version, PLEASE post your speeds here so we can make informed decisions on buying them (and rebelling against sonnet :D)

Tom Morter-Laing
Twitter- @TomTheEditor

Return to posts index

Thomas Morter-Laing
on Apr 13, 2012 at 8:02:09 am

Has anyone got one of the Lacie esata hubs yet?

Return to posts index

Evan Crush
on May 3, 2012 at 9:27:39 am

Ah sorry I promised some number and got dragged into lotta work...

anyway here they are: with 2 4bigs in RAID 5 altogether stripped in RAID 0 it gives this:

kinda cool no?...

Return to posts index

Thomas Morter-Laing
on May 3, 2012 at 2:54:24 pm

Ive been in contact with Sonnet. They are releasing a 6Gb/s card which is fully compatible. Rather than going through the hassle of getting a brand new device and having to try and return/ sell on ebay my sonnet setup, Im going to get one of those cards. I will reports back here on my speed findings.

Of course, the Sonnet adapter also has the advantage of being an expresscard /34 slot, so for things like SxS cards and a few other peripherals, it has the edge. Juts not the speed at the moment!

Tom Morter-Laing
Twitter- @TomTheEditor

Return to posts index

Fredy Schwerdtner
on May 3, 2012 at 8:14:18 pm

Hi Thomas and you all.
I was traveling doing a job out of the country (Brazil).
Now I'm back.
I've been using the card a lot. It stills getting hot when it is in use and kind of warm when it is only connected.
The bottleneck still the speed of the esata regardless the thunderbolt connection on the iMac.

All the best for you all ...

16 GB memory

MacBook Pro 17"
2.5 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
6GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

OWC RAID 5 with 4TB

OS X 10.7.3
FCPX
Final Cut Studio "3"

Return to posts index

Ron Priest
on May 17, 2012 at 2:57:51 pm

Hey Thomas

You said: "Ive been in contact with Sonnet. They are releasing a 6Gb/s card which is fully compatible. Im going to get one of those cards. I will report back here on my speed findings... Of course, the Sonnet adapter also has the advantage of being an expresscard /34 slot, so for things like SxS cards and a few other peripherals, it has the edge. Juts not the speed at the moment!" I was wondering what speeds you're now getting and what type of RAID you're using?

My Sonnet E4P card in my MacPro went dead on me 4 months short of the 3 year warrantee. After contacting Sonnet, they informed me It only came with a 2 year warrantee even though my OWC receipt indicated that it was a 3 year warrantee. Well, I was quite pissed to say the least, but in the end, Sonnet came through an honored my 3 year warrantee. I have a better opinion of Sonnet these days considering how they have bent over backwards to please me.

While communicating with them about the e4P card replacement, I mentioned that I wasn't very happy with the speeds I was getting with the Echo Thunderbolt Adapter, which I was using on my iMac with the Tempo SATA Pro ExpressCard/34. I was getting about the same write and read speeds as with my Firewire connections. Mind you, I was using single JOB eSATA drives, not a RAID of any kind. They told me that my problem was the ExpressCard.

This is when they informed me that they had a new card out (it's so new, it's not even on their website yet). This is the new card you were talking about Thomas for the benefit of others reading this post. Well, to make a long story short, I received the card yesterday and it almost doubles my write and read speeds with the stand-alone JOB eSATA drives. I ended up doing a software RAID 0 on two each 1 TB external SATA II drives (3Gb/s not 6) and I'm getting write and read speeds around 180 - 190 MB/s with 1.5 GB free on the RAID. So, needless to say, I'm a pretty happy camper. This will do me until I can get a Thunderbolt RAID.

For anyone else wanting to get this new card, it's not listed on their site as of this posting. But the official name of this card is: Tempo SATA Pro 6Gb ExpressCard/34 not to be confused with their older 6GB card. This new card doesn't use any additional Sonnet drivers for the MAC, the drives included in the MAC OS is all you need. This is great as now I don't have to worry about constantly checking for new drivers from Sonnet.

One caution though, this new card does not support port multipliers on the Mac, however, it does under windows 7 and Vista. Another plus with this card is that it seems to run a lot cooler in the Echo Thunderbolt Adapter then my previous card.

On another note, Sonnet has a new Thunderbolt Adapter , with the word "Pro" in front of it. If anyone can explain to me what the difference between the two adapters, it would be much appreciated.

http://www.sonnettech.com/product/echoexpresscard34thunderbolt.html

Ron Priest
Videographer
Louisville, KY

Return to posts index

Thomas Morter-Laing
on May 17, 2012 at 3:02:00 pm

Can't reply fully right now, but good to hear! I still havent got the new card. The difference bwteen pro and not I gather is:

Data Transfer Speeds
Up to 5.0 Gb/s (Echo Pro ExpressCard/34)
Up to 2.5 Gb/s (Echo ExpressCard/34)

Tom Morter-Laing
Twitter- @TomTheEditor

Return to posts index

Ron Priest
on May 17, 2012 at 3:56:59 pm

Oh I see, well the standard Echo TB adapter is going to have to do for me I believe, as I don't want to shell out another $169 for it but for someone just making their purchase the Echo Pro would probably be a better choice unless they don't need all that speed. In that case, I have a TB Adapter I'll give them a good deal on... say $100 plus shipping.

Ron Priest
Videographer
Louisville, KY

Return to posts index

adam chesbrough
on Jul 26, 2012 at 5:02:05 pm

What type of speeds are you getting. I have the same setup and am getting:
read: 84mb/s
write: 200mb/s

The read is a major drop from when I would go directly into the expresscard of my 17" MBP which sustained around 180mb/s read/write

I too went with the echo thunderbolt adaptor so I could utilize the tempo pro card that I already have. I spoke with sonnet and they said that because my HD RAIDs are controlled internally I would see a performance increase with the 6gb/s card (doesnt support port multipliers). I really need to 200+ if I want to take full advantage of the new computer.

What are your thoughts/experiences?

Macbook Pro Retina
2.6GHZ i7
16GB RAM 1600MHz DDR3

OWC 4TB RAID0 (using esata)
Tempo SATA Pro ExpressCard/34 (3Gb/s)
Echo ExpressCard Pro Thunderbolt Adapter

Return to posts index

Ron Priest
on Jul 26, 2012 at 5:29:16 pm

I'm getting around 180+ read and write but that's with the Tempo SATA Pro 6Gb ExpressCard/34 (not to be confused with their older 6GB card) and the Echo Thunderbolt adapter (Not the Echo Thunderbolt adapter Pro would probably get faster speeds if I had the Echo Thunderbolt adapter pro and a hardware RAID0 versus the software RAID0.

Ron Priest
Videographer
Louisville, KY

Return to posts index

adam chesbrough
on Jul 26, 2012 at 5:35:57 pm

Thanks Ron, so it looks like my issue is the 3gb/s expresscard. I am just wondering if it makes sense to wait and purchase a 6gb/s hub when it comes out. I imagine that I will get similar speeds to what I am seeing now with the lacie 3gb/s hub.

Macbook Pro Retina
2.6GHZ i7
16GB RAM 1600MHz DDR3

OWC 4TB RAID0 (using esata)
Tempo SATA Pro ExpressCard/34 (3Gb/s)
Echo ExpressCard Pro Thunderbolt Adapter

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]