FORUMS: list search recent posts

Authoring Blu-Ray out of Final Cut Studio.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bryant Coffey
Authoring Blu-Ray out of Final Cut Studio.
on Jun 11, 2011 at 4:48:19 pm

I've read a few posts on this but am having issues with a workflow that works for what I'm doing.

Here's the setup.

720P in Final Cut Pro, Exporting out for Blu-Ray and then authoring in toast and burning on a sony vaio blu-ray burner.

Usually when I make SD DVD's, I export out a Video_TS and an Audio_TS and then burn it with toast through the Video_TS folder. Is there a similar workflow when doing Blu-Ray -- like a blu-ray video_TS/Audio_TS or something similar? I'm a complete novice to blu-ray authoring so I'm just poking around trying to figure out if I can render out of FCP to files visible on a pc then burn them with a pc blu-ray burner. Let me know if anyone has any suggestions! Thanks.

Bryant

Bryant Coffey

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
Re: Authoring Blu-Ray out of Final Cut Studio.
on Jun 11, 2011 at 5:14:23 pm

Use the FCP "Share" option - this creates your BD files.
Drop them in toast and burn. Don't bother with TS folders.

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jun 12, 2011 at 3:02:54 am

That's going to create an avchd disc. It's HD. Looks great. But it's not blu ray.

I think he's referring to a true blue ray. FCP seems to create avchd with share function if you only have DVD burner. So, I think in toast you should be creating a disc image. It's what I do for DVDs for clients when it's a small project in a hurry. I upload an image, they burn it and deliver to their client.

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
on Jun 12, 2011 at 11:49:34 am

Using a Bluray burner? I don't think so.
It's a true BD. We do it all the time.

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index

Mikey Bouchereau
on Jun 12, 2011 at 1:57:03 pm

The Share command in Final cut by default if only a DVD Burning is present it wants to make an AVCHD disc - HD quality on a Standard DVD, Plays only in a Bluray player. You can fit about 20 min of HD content on an AVCHD disc you also cap out at 15Mbps as your video Data rate where as with Bluray you can go to 45Mbps.

Now if you use Share and you choose Hard Drive (Disk Image) or if you have a bluray drive connected to your computer and choose that drive, you can produce an actual Bluray disc, I do this all the time. Take it the Menus are very simple but for screener discs this is very useful feature.

The other method you can do is export out a full quality QuickTime video of your movie. Then if you have Toast with the BD plugin you can choose Movie Disc, Then choose Bluray and it will encode your video into either MPEG2 or H.264 which are both supported codecs on Bluray (you need to customize the encoding settings to choose, by default it chooses the mpeg2 encoder settings)

Hopefully this info helps.

Mikey B!

Follow Me On Twitter!

Check Out My Sky Replace Tutorial

Return to posts index

Bryant Coffey
on Jun 14, 2011 at 12:25:22 am

Thanks guys, this helps a ton. I probably will export uncompressed and try the Toast version. It's awesome to finally get some information on the Blu-Ray workflow out of Final Cut though. Appreciate the quick responses!

Bryant

Bryant Coffey

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]