FORUMS: list search recent posts

Workflow between FCP 6 and FCP 7 (just bought a new MacBook Pro)

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Khashyar Darvich
Workflow between FCP 6 and FCP 7 (just bought a new MacBook Pro)
on May 22, 2011 at 10:02:45 pm

Hello Everyone,

Well... I finally did it.

My old HP PC laptop died, and I decided to get a MacBook Pro, which I can use for editing away from my editing suite.

I just ordered a 17" MacBook Pro Quadcore, and I know that it will serve me well.

I am documentary film producer-director, and have produced programs for TV and Theaters.

Up to now, I have been editing my projects on a Mac G5 Quad core (Mac processor, not Intel), which I bought new, and I find that my G5 Quad core still serves all of my editing needs.

I have been editing with FCP 6, which again, had served my needs up to this point.

But now, with my new MacBook Pro, I have the option of running FCP 7, or to run the next version of FCP, which I understand may be released sometime this year.

I want to be able to edit the same project between FCP 6 amd FCP 7

(for the record, although I like Apple and Mac products, and need them for film editing, I never liked Apple's business practices, and how they treat their customers in a heavy-handed way). For example, look how they handed the recent malware issue by telling their tech support reps to avoid acknowledging the issue with customers, as well as charging too much for their hardware, etc.

Anyway, back to topic.

My Question is:

1) Is there an effective workflow to edit between FCP 6 and FCP 7? How would one edit on FCP 6 in the office, and then edit the same project on FCP 7 while traveling, and then go back to editing the same project on FCP 6?

I know that FCP 7 has features that FCP 6 does not have, but if one can save a MSWord doc as a lower version of the file, I know that Apple could have done it if it wanted to.

I also know that I could set up my new MacBook Pro laptop in the office as the main editing computer as well, but at this time, I don't want to do this, because I have an AJA Kona installed on my G5, and like the output and monitoring features that it offers me.

At some point, I may get the new AJA i/o's for MacBook Pros, or get a new MAc desktop with an Intel processor, but I want to see if there is a workable alternative solution for now.

Thank you for your thoughts and feedback.

Khashyar

Return to posts index

Khashyar Darvich
Re: Workflow between FCP 6 and FCP 7 (just bought a new MacBook Pro)
on May 22, 2011 at 10:10:49 pm

Hello Everyone,

I was searching through some older Creative Cow posts, and I found this suggestion from Andy:

"If you need to log or edit in FCP 7 and then mail back something that will work just as seamlessly for your co-editor using FCP 6 then be sure to export your project as an XML v4 file (File menu > Export > XML... then choose Format: Apple XML Interchange Format, version 4). A project file in that format should open right up in FCP 6 (File menu > Import > XML...) and your colleague will be good to go."

If I do edit in FCP 7, would it be the best way of working between both versions to export a FCP 7 project as an XML v4 file?

How would that open in FCP 6? As an entire project, or as a sequence?

Thank you again for your thoughts and feedback.

Khashyar

Return to posts index

Khashyar Darvich
on May 22, 2011 at 10:25:18 pm

Hi Again,

I also found an older thread ( http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/8/1045814 ) where Shane mentions:

"I have successfully exported a project...full project...from FCP 7 to FCP 6 just fine...via XML. Easy as pie...or is that cake?

and he also says:

"none of the new ProRes codecs that come with FCP 7 will be backwards compatible....ProRes Proxy, ProRes LT, ProRes 4444"

and...

"so I can see them in the browser and QT, and play them..BUT...I cannot have a sequence with those settings. When I add them to the sequence I have a big RED render bar. This is apparently because QT contains the ProRes DECODER for all the ProRes flavors (I just played them on the reception iMac and they play too), but you cannot ENCODE to those formats...nor have timeline settings."

(So, does this means that nothing digitized/converted into FCP7 will work in FCP 6)? Or, just the Prores formats that do not exist in FCP 6?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on May 24, 2011 at 12:50:07 am

None of the ProRes codecs that are new to FCP 7 (Proxy, LT, 4444) will work all that well in FCP 6. So stick to what FCP 6 uses too.

And this isn't the greatest way to work. COnstant XML from FCP 7 to FCP 6 might cause errors over time. This might be fine for a one or two time trip. But daily? i wouldn't rely on it. Either run both machines on FCP 6 or FCP 7. Given one is a G5...FCP 6 will be the option.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Khashyar Darvich
on May 24, 2011 at 4:16:57 pm

Thank you for your feedback, Shane.

I think that I will take your advice and stay with FCP 6 on both machines for now, since it will make my workflow easiest.

Is it possible to install both FCP 6 and 7, as separate and distinct software, on the same Mac?

Regarding upgrading FCP, I believe that I will wait to purchase an upgraded version of FCP when the completely redesigned FCP X is released, which as I understand from what I'm reading, may be in the Fall.

At that time, I may also purchase a new MacPro desktop as well, so that I can run the latest software on both desktop and laptop.

Thank you again.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]