FORUMS: list search recent posts

Cutting a project from ProRes 422 HQ

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Damon Packard
Cutting a project from ProRes 422 HQ
on Apr 29, 2011 at 7:27:25 pm

I'm in a bit of a fix, A client is sending me a project in the Pro Res 422 HQ format. Which I will likely not be able to cut (on my machine) without transcoding to a smaller format.
I'm still using a last generation dual 2.3ghz G5 PPC, it just doesn't have the processing power.

Suggestions? Can i cut it in a smaller format and create an EDL of some sort for the ProRes? Is ProRes 422 manageable on any and all intel macs?

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: Cutting a project from ProRes 422 HQ
on Apr 29, 2011 at 7:32:22 pm

Tell us more about said project and about your media drive setup... Your machine, though not ideal, can handle the codec, but it's capabilities will very much depend upon whether you have a hard drive RAID to feed it.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums. Formerly host of the Apple Final Cut Basics, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Damon Packard
on Apr 29, 2011 at 7:41:45 pm

Yea i have the project settings and have worked with "standard" ProRes before, which was incredible sluggish on this machine. (or maybe it was the G4 with the RAID) I don't know how big a difference between Prores and ProRes 422 HQ there is. No RAID card that I know of on this G5, just a standard SATA

Return to posts index

Zane Barker
on Apr 29, 2011 at 7:41:59 pm

[Damon Packard] "A client is sending me a project in the Pro Res 422 HQ format"

[Damon Packard] "I'm still using a last generation dual 2.3ghz G5 PPC, it just doesn't have the processing power."

Not just lack of processing power. The ProResHQ codec is part of FCP 7 which your computer cannot run because it does not have an intel processor.

So you will not even be able to play the footage on your machine.

Your ether going to need to get a newer machine and the FCP 7 or your going to need to have the footage converted on a different machine.

**Hindsight is always 1080p**

Return to posts index

Damon Packard
on Apr 29, 2011 at 7:53:58 pm

FCP 6.4 does have the Pro Res 422 HQ project settings, and I just took a small sample of some HDV and transcoded it to ProRes HQ (1920x1080) via Mpeg Streamclip, and it plays fine. I don't know if this is any different than what the client will be sending me, could it be? I know it will be incredible sluggish/near impossible to work with one way or the other on this machine. Sigh, if only I still had easy access to an Intel mac since my MacBook Pro was damaged and lost forever

Return to posts index

Damon Packard
on Apr 29, 2011 at 7:58:37 pm

i have read that ONLY FCP 7 can handle Pro Res HQ, but FCP 6.4 has the settings. are there different types of pro res 422 HQ codecs??

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Apr 29, 2011 at 8:04:07 pm

ProRes HQ is part of FCP 6. But it is a VERY HIGH data rate codec...higher than ProRes 422. You can't run this off Firewire 400 drives. You need either FW800 (not available on your machine), eSATA...or some other high speed drive connection. YOu really need to think about updating your system if you are going to deal with newer codecs and higher data rates. So you can have the processing power and connector types that will help with this.

YOu can always transcode to an offline codec, like DV. But then you'll have to redo any titles and graphics when you reconnect to the high res material.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Damon Packard
on Apr 29, 2011 at 8:08:51 pm

it's not a matter of "thinking" about updating it's a matter of some of us not having the money!

Return to posts index

Damon Packard
on Apr 29, 2011 at 8:09:59 pm

i appreciate the info though. Obviously i'm going to have to borrow access to an intel Mac

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Apr 29, 2011 at 8:27:32 pm

Your machine can cut dvcpro hd just fine. Transcode to that...take your final sequence to a more capable system...then reconnect to the original files (if necessary...DVCPRO hd might look just fine.)

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Apr 29, 2011 at 8:27:47 pm

[Zane Barker] "The ProResHQ codec is part of FCP 7 which your computer cannot run because it does not have an intel processor."
No need of Intel. FC6 runs on PPCs.
Is just about processing power.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Damon Packard
on Apr 29, 2011 at 8:37:30 pm

Yea the question on my mind is, are there different types of ProRes 422 HQ's? Cause the "Apple ProRes 422 HQ" (184mbs/s data rate) works fine on my G5. So whats to stop me from transcoding/converting the ProRes 422 HQ that will only work on Intel macs (apparently) to ProRes 422 HQ that will? and whats the big quality difference? Their both ProRes 422 HQ

Return to posts index

Damon Packard
on Apr 29, 2011 at 10:10:24 pm

just had the client send me a sample in the latest ProRes HQ 422 (highest data rate) it works fine on my G5 in FCP 6.4. So what's the deal? I thought you guys said intel FCP 7 only?

Return to posts index

Chris Borjis
on Apr 29, 2011 at 10:33:28 pm

[Damon Packard] "i have read that ONLY FCP 7 can handle Pro Res HQ"

that would actually be Pro Res LT

and as far as intel processors required....yes but only for capturing.

you cannot capture pro res hq in HD on even a quad G5.

I used to have one and it never worked even though apple said it would.

Return to posts index

Damon Packard
on Apr 29, 2011 at 10:41:47 pm

Oh ProRes LT, ok, well thats what I was trying to find out. So there is a major difference between Po Res HQ 422 and Pro Res LT. One will work on PPC machines, the other will not. The two formats should be clearly labeled and identified.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Apr 29, 2011 at 11:09:42 pm

FCP6 in FCS2 was the first version to have ProRes, it had two versions ProRes 422 and ProRes HQ.

FCP7 in FCS3 had four varieties of ProRes 422, HQ, LT, and Proxy.

They are each labeled accordingly.

That is all...

Zane made a mistake early on by butting in to say incorrectly that your version didn't have HQ, so that threw you off track for about twenty additional posts.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
Los Angeles

A forum host of Creative COW's Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums. Formerly host of the Apple Final Cut Basics, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Zane Barker
on Apr 29, 2011 at 11:11:51 pm

Yea for some reason I thought FCP6 only had one form of ProRes.

Sorry my bad.

Return to posts index

Damon Packard
on Apr 29, 2011 at 11:20:58 pm

really all those semi confusing labels and codecs and formats mean to me is, "stuff that will not work on your machine because you don't have thousands of dollars to upgrade your hardware"
:)

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Apr 30, 2011 at 8:10:40 am

[Damon Packard] "really all those semi confusing labels and codecs and formats mean to me is, "stuff that will not work on your machine because you don't have thousands of dollars to upgrade your hardware" "

Labels shouldn't be a problem when you know what you are looking for.
So spend some time and document your self about Prores (Google Prores White Papers).

You can READ any Prores flavor with just QT Pro 7, but to export to Prores you need at least FC.6.
You does't need any Intel Mac.

[Chris Borjis] "and as far as intel processors required....yes but only for capturing.

you cannot capture pro res hq in HD on even a quad G5.

I used to have one and it never worked even though apple said it would."

No problem with a G5.
When capturing through an ioHD, the burden of the processing is in the card. The computer basically just write the file in the HD. A HD fast enough is all what you need.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Apr 30, 2011 at 12:59:03 am

[Zane Barker] "Yea for some reason I thought FCP6 only had one form of ProRes.

Sorry my bad."

Actually, I apologize to you Zane. I'm sick with the flu and very, very cranky because of it.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
Los Angeles

Return to posts index

Zane Barker
on Apr 30, 2011 at 1:29:09 am

No worries I get the same way when when I'm sick.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Apr 30, 2011 at 5:39:49 am

DAvid, you left out ProRes 4444. FCP 7 has Proxy, LT, 422, HQ and 4444

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]