FORUMS: list search recent posts

Audio Shift Low Resolution Limit

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gabe Krause
Audio Shift Low Resolution Limit
on Mar 19, 2011 at 8:33:14 pm

We have a poor quality reference audio track synced to our video (from the built-in camera mic). We have imported our high quality audio and are now trying to sync it perfectly to the reference.

It appears that FCP will only allow you to shift audio by increments 1/10 of a second (shown by the tick marks on the timeline). Is there any way to increase this resolution or prevent it from snapping to every 1/10 of a second? Because with this 1/10 of a second snap, we can't perfectly line up the slate with the high def audio.

Generally as in most audio editing software, one would simply shift the audio into the correct alignment using the wave forms as our visual que (zoomed in). And the amount of time shifting is only limited by the sampling rate. Our sampling rate is 48kHz.

A 1/10 of a second shift is audible in some cases. How can we get our sound aligned precisely?

Return to posts index

Chad Tingle
Re: Audio Shift Low Resolution Limit
on Mar 20, 2011 at 2:22:44 am

hit N to toggle the snapping on and off.

Chad Tingle
Producer/Editor

Return to posts index

Jeff Greenberg
Re: Audio Shift Low Resolution Limit
on Mar 20, 2011 at 2:58:16 pm

Two ways:plural eyes should do this magically for you - I mean really automate this syncing of separate sound. It's 'the' workflow for DSLR uses.

Method two (this should blow your mind.) When you get close to the spot...hold down the shift key while you drag the playhead - FCP will move in smaller (still not sample sized) increments - I think it's 1/100th. You *must* then mark an inpoint and the audio will slightly shift.

Last: honestly? A sub frame out of sync issue can't truly be seen. Has to be at least two plus frames out for it to be noticed.

Best,

Jeff G

Apple Master Trainer | Avid Cert. Instructor DS/MC
Come See me speak at NAB!
Compressor Essentials from Lynda.com
(older but still good) Marquee, Media Composer (3.5) and Basic/Advanced Color DVDs (1.0) from Vasst.com
Contact me through my Website

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]