FORUMS: list search recent posts

problems Capturing DVCPROHD Firewire 800

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chad Tingle
problems Capturing DVCPROHD Firewire 800
on Mar 18, 2011 at 7:59:22 pm

I have used this procedure a million times yet I seem to be having a lot of problems I've never encountered before. My project was shot on the Panasonic HDX 900, I usually use the firewire 800 connector on the camera, connect it to my 8 core mac pro and capture non-controllable device DVCPRO HD 24. I get the occasional drop frames with this workflow but today it seems to be happening a lot more frequent. I've tried capturing to my internal raid ( which is 4 650 gig esta drives connected to an apple raid card striped at raid 5)I've also tried going to a Cal digit firewire drive. The project settings are 720p24 and my device control settings are set to DVDPROHD. I've double checked the footage on the tape and looked in the viewfinder of the camera and the footage is shot 72024p. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Chad Tingle
Producer/Editor

Return to posts index

Chad Brewer
Re: problems Capturing DVCPROHD Firewire 800
on Mar 19, 2011 at 10:46:47 pm

Hey Chad, (I've never said that to anyone except myself :))

I'm assuming the tapes you're digitizing don't have a gazillion timecode breaks which would affect the stream via firewire. If they do, then that is probably the issue.

My shot in the dark is that if you use your camera for playback this frequently, you could have dirty video heads that are contributing to compromised playback in which case you'll get stream interruptions via firewire that result in dropped frames...

You could try running a DVCPRO cleaning tape in your camera and see if that helps...

Just a guess...

Chad Brewer
Senior Broadcast Videotape Operator
TeleVersions, LLC - Chicago

Return to posts index

Chad Tingle
Re: problems Capturing DVCPROHD Firewire 800
on Mar 20, 2011 at 1:42:27 am

[Chad Brewer] "Hey Chad, (I've never said that to anyone except myself :))"

Chad.. it's not something I'm proud of LOL.. but it gets the job done. I have a Kona LHI card and it's great but my raid is not up to snuff so in the mean time it works. I got it to work by capturing in small increments but I'll heed the advice if I have to go this route again.. hopefully not too many more times.I love capturing with timecode because I can consolidate the projects with Media manager when I'm done and and rebatch If I ever have to visit them later. Thanks again

Chad Tingle
Producer/Editor

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]