FORUMS: list search recent posts

Any workaround for the horrific .MTS support in FCP ??

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jakob Mortensen
Any workaround for the horrific .MTS support in FCP ??
on Feb 27, 2011 at 6:29:50 pm

Hi

I have now been battling the horrific .MTS support in FCP. I have a bunch of .MTS files that i needed to work with. In the beginning they where not in the original folder structure but played fine with toast player. I could also work with them in toast.

The problem was to import them in FCP. I just cant understand why one of the top pro editing solutions out there is flawed on such a basic issue as supporting a file type. I tried varies workarounds but could not get it to work. Luckily i had the original files in the original folder and that worked through log and transfer. BUT its a major pain in the but. Even a consumer program like Toast supports this file time in a MUCH more fluid way. Thats just a joke when Apple tries to market them selves as a multimedia platform. I guess adobes systems does not have that problem ??

How do you go about this ?

Best wishes

Jakob

Return to posts index

John Pale
Re: Any workaround for the horrific .MTS support in FCP ??
on Feb 27, 2011 at 6:57:52 pm

http://www.divergentmedia.com/clipwrap/features

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Feb 27, 2011 at 10:23:27 pm

[Jakob Mortensen] "How do you go about this ?"

Usually by doing some research, starting with a search of this forum. You would find that this issue has been discussed before and third party software is readily available.

As to the point that FCP doesn't natively handle the hundreds of pro, prosumer and consumer formats and codecs, no NLE does. Is Adobe & AVID ahead in this, yes for the moment. In a few months they may or may not be behind FCP again.

Return to posts index

Bernard Newnham
on Feb 27, 2011 at 10:43:26 pm

I only ever seem to make one contribution to this forum. People seem to keep asking the same question all the time and I keep doing my bit - the answer is Clipwrap, though I too wonder why FCP can't cope with a file type that is now one of the major standards.

B

bernie

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Feb 27, 2011 at 11:24:36 pm

[Bernard Newnham] "I too wonder why FCP can't cope with a file type that is now one of the major standards."

Well, it seems the folks at Apple developing the forthcoming new version of FCP had a decision to make, either fix the old one or fix the new one. Since it seems so many want the new version sooner rather later that became the priority. Probably a wise decision in my opinion.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums. Formerly host of the Apple Final Cut Basics, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Feb 28, 2011 at 2:32:41 am

Read this and don't blame FC more than the cameras developers:
http://www.divergentmedia.com/blog/fullpost/h264_decoding_on_the_mac
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Isaac Brillant
on Sep 4, 2011 at 7:12:02 pm

Is there any loss in quality with ClipWrap? I have a lot of home movies that I dont want to transcode to Prores or AIC because of the size. I'd prefer to end up with a hi quality H264.

I thought of getting Clip Wrap though as an alternative, since then I could just wrap the original MTS files and watch them in QT. Also, then I assume I could bring the clip wrapped files into FCP to do some basic editing and trimming, and then export them through compressor as an H264. Or, if they dont require editing, just bring the clip wrapped files directly into Compressor.

Do you know if there'd be any additional loss in the resulting H264 compared to bringing the MTS files into something like Toast instead and converting directly to H264?

thanks!

Return to posts index

Martin Curtis
on Feb 28, 2011 at 2:37:18 am

Voltaic is another application that can do this.

This isn't so much a case of needing workaround as needing a way of integrating a new filetype into a workflow.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Feb 28, 2011 at 5:21:17 am

[Martin Curtis] "Voltaic is another application that can do this."

Voltaic allows pre-edit the stuff on the original codec, but in the end you need to transcode the footage if you want to bring it to FC.

ClipWrap would be a better solution if was able to re-wrap these .MTS and no to crash FC when trying to edit.
MTSs from some cameras works; with my JVCs MTSs, I get an "Error: out of memory" as soon as I drag them to the
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Martin Curtis
on Feb 28, 2011 at 11:43:48 am

[Rafael Amador] "Voltaic allows pre-edit the stuff on the original codec, but in the end you need to transcode the footage if you want to bring it to FC."

Voltaic also transcodes:

Since VoltaicHD for Mac supports any QuickTime format, exports can be made direct to Apple ProRes422, ready to edit in Final Cut Pro.

I tried Voltaic and Clip Wrap with my Canon AVCHD .mts files and both worked well converting files to FCP compatible Quicktime files. I never ended up buying either of them, because I know how to use Log and Transfer, though I did particularly like Voltaic's Preview function.

Return to posts index

Martin Phillips
on Feb 28, 2011 at 9:58:51 am

Hi Jakob,

Not sure I'm missing something, but as you mention,Log and transfer does this easily (and well), converting these AVCHD files to ProRes (which is a much better format for post anyway). You can just do a batch log and transfer of the whole lot at once on a 2nd system or during a lunch break (my method!). No need for any other workarounds.

Return to posts index

Rob Gutermuth
MTS in Toast/FCP
on May 1, 2013 at 3:31:16 pm

Hi Guys,

I have an issue with MTS files - PPC mac, so can't use Log and Transfer (right?) - so I use toast 10...

Here is my situation - I have a 50 min clip... when I look at the directory, the camera wrote 4 files for this one clip, at 15-16 mins at a time... why it does this? not sure, but maybe it's a memory thing - The card was 32gig, and enough for 4 hours at the highest quality setting.

In toast, I can see the four files, preview, edit in/out points, etc - they convert very nicely to HDV using AIC (should I use ProRes here?)

now, they all import fine in my FCP project, but when I butt end splice them together, they jump at the joined part, so there are either missing frames, or duplicate frames... but it's NOT seemless...

I know in Log and Transfer, the program "sees" an index track, and I guess makes everything all cool with those files as a single file when it's done? - I don't know...

anyone use toast to convert these? should I do them as an archive instead of just converting each separate file?

thanks,
Bob

Rob Gutermuth
Media Creations

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]