FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP 7 on QT 7.6.9

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Isa Jacobson
FCP 7 on QT 7.6.9
on Feb 10, 2011 at 2:55:41 pm

Hi, I've done a search, so apologies if this has been answered.

I'm loath to mess with my system, but should I download the QT 7.6.9? Am on Mac Book Pro, OS 10.5.8, Intel Core 2, 2.53GHZ, FCP 7.0.2

Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

Richard Cooper
Re: FCP 7 on QT 7.6.9
on Feb 10, 2011 at 7:51:38 pm

Updating QT, as in the past, always has the "possibility" to really screw things up. and usually, if it does, there is no way to get back to where you were without wiping and re installing EVERYTHING from your OS on up. I have been through this and it is not fun.

We are running QT 7.6.3 (630) here and have no issues so I cant tell you if there are issues with 7.6.9. I would at least get confirmation from someone, that does video as a profession, and has made the update with success.

You could always clone your working (OS Drive) configuration as a back up then do the upgrade. Then if it throws Color or Final Cut or any other Pro apps into a tail spin you can easily get back to your stable config.

Good Luck!

Richard Cooper
FrostLine Productions, LLC
Anchorage, Alaska
http://www.frostlineproductions.com

Return to posts index

Isa Jacobson
on Feb 10, 2011 at 8:45:18 pm

Thanks so much. It's exactly why the risk isn't worth it unless some brave soul has tried it out. Glad I'm not just being paranoid. Will see if anyone responds. These update reminders always make me feel as if I might be missing out and then I land up regretting hitting that "yes" button.

Isa

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Feb 10, 2011 at 9:14:59 pm

Sorry, but both of you are unnecessarily running scared, and the solution to all of your fears is ridiculously elemental.

You will never be concerned about upgrading if you follow the basic tenets of safe and intelligent professional system management. It simply entails having a fresh bootable system clone on stand by, either on an external firewire drive or in one of the empty bays in a MacPro, at all times.

No one, especially a professional, should ever update the OS or FCP without having a fresh bootable system clone on stand by. It's that simple... You'll never need worry about how you update, what they update, or any of the myriad other bad things that could ever befall your system.

This is so simple on Macs that there's just no excuse for not doing it. Should Apple issue a bad update that fouls your system, or if something goes awry during an update, whatever, having a clone at the ready means that you can be back up and running in minutes.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums. Formerly host of the Apple Final Cut Basics, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Richard Cooper
on Feb 10, 2011 at 10:07:42 pm

"Sorry, but both of you are unnecessarily running scared,..."

Actually I never run scared... ;)

"No one, especially a professional, should ever update the OS or FCP without having a fresh bootable system clone on stand by. It's that simple..."

If you re-read my post this is exactly what I advised him to do, although not in so many words. As a working professional I learned this lesson early, and thankfully not "often"... I agree with you completely. A fresh clone of a clean working OS drive is essential to a professional shop staying online and making money.

Thanks David!

Richard Cooper
FrostLine Productions, LLC
Anchorage, Alaska
http://www.frostlineproductions.com

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Feb 11, 2011 at 2:30:05 am

[Richard Cooper] "I agree with you completely. A fresh clone of a clean working OS drive is essential to a professional shop staying online and making money.
"

I was just testing to see if you'd been listening Richard. You pass with flying colors...

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
Los Angeles

A forum host of Creative COW's Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums. Formerly host of the Apple Final Cut Basics, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Isa Jacobson
on Feb 10, 2011 at 8:45:37 pm

Thanks so much. It\'s exactly why the risk isn\'t worth it unless some brave soul has tried it out. Glad I\'m not just being paranoid. Will see if anyone responds. These update reminders always make me feel as if I might be missing out and then I land up regretting hitting that \"yes\" button.

Isa

Return to posts index

Isa Jacobson
on Feb 10, 2011 at 10:28:58 pm

Yes, I am backing up on Time Machine so you're right - no need to really be concerned. But am not going to bother unless someone has tried it and it works.

Isa

Return to posts index

Tony Silanskas
on Feb 11, 2011 at 1:00:35 am

[Isa Jacobson] "I am backing up on Time Machine so you're right - no need to really be concerned. But am not going to bother unless someone has tried it and it works."

I'd advise you look into a bootable clone backup software so that you can easily switch to the backup in case of an emergency. Time Machine does not make a bootable clone copy of your HD so you would have to restore it to your drive before you could be up and running again, and that is time wasted. Carbon Copy Cloner and SuperDuper are two good bootable clone making software choices.

tony

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Feb 11, 2011 at 2:37:09 am

[Tony Silanskas] "Time Machine does not make a bootable clone copy of your HD so you would have to restore it to your drive before you could be up and running again, and that is time wasted."

Tony is right, and moreover, Time Machine does not even backup the ProApps properly, so more often than not it cannot restore working versions of the ProApps at all. So, not only is it a complete waste for editors, even worse, it provides false comfort and false security when in fact you're completely exposed.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
Los Angeles

Return to posts index

Isa Jacobson
on Feb 11, 2011 at 6:18:18 am

Wow, thank you! I was running Carbon Copy on my old Mac. Will go back to this.

Isa

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]