FORUMS: list search recent posts

Compressor settings for 1080i@60 going to DVD, getting jaggies

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Shirey
Compressor settings for 1080i@60 going to DVD, getting jaggies
on Dec 20, 2010 at 11:47:31 pm

Full disclosure: I'm a Vegas Pro and recently Premiere Pro editor, but we have a Final Cut Pro system here and the boss wants me to investigate why the DVD's it produces all have horrible jagged edges on the footage. Using the same 1080i@60 footage from Sony EX-1s, the SD DVD's we end up with from FCP just look plain bad. I don't know if it's an interlacing issue or what, but the DVD's we make in Vegas/DVD Architect and Premiere/Encore are both interlaced and they look fine. We're using the 90 minute best quality template, and on shorter programs have bumped up the average bitrate but that's clearly not the issue it's having. The problem is noticeable on every dvd player and computer we have in the office. Any suggestions on proper workflow for this type of footage.

We're setting in and out points in a sequence then submitting to Compressor directly. I found in the FCP FAQ here a post that said you should export a Quicktime file, either stand-alone or reference, and then put that in Compressor, and that the advantages to that are that you can keep editing in FCP while it renders. I'm wondering if that actually changes the quality though, especially if it's by reference wouldn't it be the exact same as sending it straight from the timeline?

Return to posts index

Dan Quintero
Re: Compressor settings for 1080i@60 going to DVD, getting jaggies
on Dec 20, 2010 at 11:54:19 pm

Pretty sure this has been covered...

Switch the field dominance in your final cut pro sequence settings to None and export a self contained Quicktime (something like, Pro Res 422 1080p30) then run that quicktime through compressor using your 90min DVD Compressor settings. I think the key here is changing your field dominance to none and exporting something at 30p and not 60i.

Go fly fishing.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Dec 21, 2010 at 6:59:12 am

I've had the same issues and no one has had an answer. All the DVDs I've made from HD footage OTHER than native XDCam sequences have been great. You're suggesting exporting native interlaced as progressive (no deinterlacing involved) and creating a progressive DVD as the solution? If someone purposely shot and edited 1080i, they would want 480i DVD, no?

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Dec 21, 2010 at 9:00:32 am

Try exporting a ProRes 422 quicktime, bring that into Compressor. Don't forget frame controls to get best resizing from HD to SD

Return to posts index

Chris Borjis
on Dec 21, 2010 at 4:52:33 pm

[Michael Gissing] "Don't forget frame controls to get best resizing from HD to SD"

That's what almost everyone does forget.

and the reason they look good out of Vegas is that it uses bicubic resizing when it exports footage, something final cut is sorely lacking.

Return to posts index

Tamaki Ueda
on Dec 21, 2010 at 5:29:08 pm

Hi David,

Here's my recipe when I edit 1080 60i and author SD DVD with FCP, Compressor and DVD Studio Pro.

1. Edit in Apple ProRes422
2. Export 1. as self-contained QT
3. Compressor: Encode 2. as Apple ProRes 422 720x480 Anamorphic (Resize: Better, Field Order: BOTTOM FIRST)
4. Compressor (again) : encode 3. as mpeg2
5. Author!

Please test this, I hope this works for you :)

Tamaki

Return to posts index

David Shirey
on Dec 21, 2010 at 6:43:51 pm

Thanks for that detailed process, it's great to know what is needed for best results. Unfortunately if we had to actually render out 3 separate files before making a DVD, the process would be so time-consuming it would be in our best interests to chuck the mac out a window and just build another PC for a third of the price. Our FCP guy is trying several methods posted here right now, so I'll have him try it your way also just to see what yields the best results, thanks!

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Dec 22, 2010 at 6:02:36 am

http://www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage/hdv_to_sd_dvd.html

OSX 10.5.8; MacBookPro4,1 Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5 GHz
; Camcorders: Sony Z7U, Canon HV30/40, Sony vx2000/PD170; FCP certified; write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Carl Rohumaa
on Dec 22, 2010 at 12:17:41 pm

Interesting. Are you totally sure that your media and your sequence are the same? If they are not then the final playback will not be able to de-interlace so you will get jaggies. Jaggies are where you no longer "see" the interlacing lines as they are embedded in the video forever. Check your media in the motion tab and make sure there is no scaling or under distort no aspect ratio setting. The aspect should be 0.
If they are not right you will have to make a correct sequence first and then cut and paste to it. The resultant video will be distorted so make a clip right (get rid of any scaling and aspect distortion) and cut and paste the motion and distort attributes to the other clips. This should be foolproof.
You should be able to go straight to compressor with no rendering or other export. In fact some delete all their render files before export to force a "clean" export especially with complex edits.
If this does not work then there is a serious bug to file in FCP. Don't make your mpeg from a reference QT export as Compressor uses your edits in the timeline as compression markers treating each clip individually.
FCP can be "clever" at making your media look OK in the timeline when it is really distorting it to fit. Obviously all clips that have had frame resize or speed changes etc will not de-interlace either so in the sequence these clips need to be de-interlaced.
Feel free to shoot me down in flames if this is wrong folks or if you have a better insight, or something else to say about it.
One day there will be no interlacing!?

Video Tech

Return to posts index

David Shirey
on Dec 22, 2010 at 5:18:29 pm

Well we did have all the sequence settings match the exact type of footage we were using. Of all the methods we tried, exporting a 1440x1080i prores quicktime file out of FCP then putting that into compressor seemed to work best. It still left smaller jaggies on some still scenes but it's way better than what we were getting. A 1080p file had absolutely no jaggies on scenes that were still, but created the worst warbled interlacing effects on anything with motion so obviously that's no way to go. Exporting 720x480 prores files from FCP then converting those to mpeg2 had awful results. Due to the extra time involved our ultimate solution is to just get another PC system, but it looks like we're going to keep this around so we can tweak projects that freelancers edit for us, so I appreciate everyone helping us fix this.

Return to posts index

Dan Quintero
on Dec 23, 2010 at 5:36:01 pm

I think there's a lot that wasn't covered and acknowledged in your workflow. I can vouch for exporting a progressive video from a sequence that defaults to i60 if you shot progressive... the whole 30p in a 60i container and what-not.

If you can give us some more details (it was shot at, captured at, etc.) we might be able to give you more solid advice.

Go fly fishing.

Return to posts index

David Shirey
on Dec 23, 2010 at 6:54:41 pm

I guess 1080i@60 is vague because it could be 1920 or 1440, but this footage is all 1440, and as I mentioned they were captured on Sony EX-1's, so I guess they were "captured" by importing the XDCAM footage into FCP through Sony's XDCAM Browser which as I understand just sort of rewraps the mp4 files into a Quicktime mov container. I don't know if that changes anything in terms of how to export it?

Return to posts index

Dan Quintero
on Dec 23, 2010 at 8:03:16 pm

Try switching the field order/output in compressor.

Go fly fishing.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]