FORUMS: list search recent posts

Have Final Cut Pro 7 as a file on our server plausible?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nicki Nørmark
Have Final Cut Pro 7 as a file on our server plausible?
on Dec 1, 2010 at 12:33:06 pm

Hey

We've just bought updates to all our Final Cut machines.
This is one of those things that might be more work than it's worth.
So I thought I would ask the experts :)

From what I've read I can download the installation if I assign the serial to my Apple account.
But do I get all the programs in one download?

Also I would prefer I didn't have to assign the Final Cut serials to my account.
Because one day I won't be working here anymore and somebody might need my account with the serials?

I'm unsure of how the installation would work from a downlaoded version. Is it even an issue that several FCP serials are assigned to my account? They/we have the serial on the boxes...

We basically just want to be free from the tedious installation with 7 CD's / DVD's

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: Have Final Cut Pro 7 as a file on our server plausible?
on Dec 1, 2010 at 4:03:52 pm

What you're asking about is called "software deployment," which is typically done by creating a disk image on a hard drive rather than via a network, simply because of the size of the entire suite. Deployment via hard drive is much, much faster than loading from the original DVD discs. You do it on each machine before registering, then put in the serial for each machine.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums. Formerly host of the Apple Final Cut Basics, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Alan Okey
on Dec 1, 2010 at 5:57:24 pm

[David Roth Weiss] "Deployment via hard drive is much, much faster than loading from the original DVD discs."

Amen to that. The first thing I do every time I get a new Final Cut Studio update (or any other monster multi-disk app suite) is to image all of the installation discs to my RAID. Then I mount all of the disk images simultaneously, run the installer and sit back and watch the magic. Sure, it takes a little extra time up front, but if you ever need to uninstall and reinstall anything, it will take just minutes instead of hours.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Dec 1, 2010 at 6:09:08 pm

[Alan Okey] "The first thing I do every time... ...is to image all of the installation discs to my RAID."

Is that accomplished with Apple Disk Utility???

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums. Formerly host of the Apple Final Cut Basics, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Alan Okey
on Dec 1, 2010 at 6:13:20 pm

[David Roth Weiss] "Is that accomplished with Apple Disk Utility???"

Exactly. You end up with a .dmg file of each of the installation DVDs. When you install the suite, you simply mount all of the .dmg files simultaneously, and the installer grabs whatever it needs from the available disc images. No disc swapping required!

Return to posts index

Andy George
on Dec 7, 2010 at 5:58:33 pm

Awesome tip. I just ripped the first install disk, went really fast and appears to work fine. Have 6 suites to upgrade this week and this will be a huge time saver. I also love the thought of having a backup of my software in a format that's not going to get scratched!

Thanks-

-Andy George
Senior Editor
http://www.chiselindustries.com

Return to posts index

Matt Campbell
on Jun 29, 2011 at 7:05:00 pm

I know this is old, but hoping you can help. Within Disk Utility, once you click New Image, what do you choose from the menus below? Do you choose compressed, Read only, CD/DVD Master, or read/write? I ask because I seen mixed results. Some say used compressed, others save CD/DVD master.

OS 10.6.3, Mac Pro 2 x 2.66 ghz quad-core intel xenon, 16 gb ram, with BM Intensity Pro card

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]