FORUMS: list search recent posts

Quality of ripped DVD file

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Atticus Brady
Quality of ripped DVD file
on Nov 27, 2010 at 3:47:53 am

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

I recently ripped a DVD of an old movie with the Handbrake software and then ran the resulting m4v file through Compressor. I applied a Quicktime Apple Pro Res 422 HQ setting and came out with a Pro Res file which I then imported into Final Cut. When I play the clip in the Viewer it goes out of sync. When I cut a piece of it into the sequence, it retains sync but the image is a bit pixelated and jerky, not very good quality. Is there some other setting I can apply to make the import better quality? FYI, the m4v file created from the original rip plays perfectly well in iTunes.

Thanks for any help!

Atticus

Final Cut Studio 3
Mac Pro 8-core
12 gigs RAM
2 x 2.26 Ghz
ATI Radeon HD 4870

Return to posts index

Zane Barker
Re: Quality of ripped DVD file
on Nov 27, 2010 at 4:18:01 am

Your converting the file 2x before even starting to edit in FC. That's no the best workflow.

Questions like yours about DVD footage come up all the time. A search of the forums will yield plenty of info.

All I'll say is mpegstreamclip.

**Hindsight is always 1080p**

Return to posts index

Patrice Freymond
on Nov 27, 2010 at 8:14:59 am

1) DVD footage is not a broadcasting format or destined to be edited

2) iTunes... are you monitoring this on a proper broadcast monitor or just on your computer?

3) What are you tryng to achieve? Best workflow to preserve whatever quality is there will depend on this too.

patrice

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
on Nov 27, 2010 at 12:57:01 pm

Use MPEG streamclip (free) to rip the DVD
Rip the file to dv50
Import into FCP.

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index

Atticus Brady
on Nov 27, 2010 at 5:02:29 pm

Thanks everyone for the prompt responses. Chris, here's what happens when I try using MPEG streamclip: I open the DVD and I get a "File open error: the first part of the file is not valid" error message. I choose to "open anyway". I apply the settings you recommended (export to QT - Apple Pro Res - 720x480 - lower field first, frame blending, interlace scaling - uncompressed stereo audio, etc. Upon saving to an external FW drive, it got about 8% and then stopped, giving me a "could not convert sample rate" error message. When I opened the small file that was produced, it was just a thick green bar passing through the frame.

Any sense of what is going on here or if there's anything I'm doing incorrectly?

Thanks,
AB

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
on Nov 27, 2010 at 10:14:07 pm

What I do is open the DVD in the Finder and drag the track(file) off the disc and onto the open ap - mpeg streamclip.
Choose repair time-code breaks or what ever it says. CMD F will force it. Try this and see if it makes a diff.
Let us know.

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index

Atticus Brady
on Nov 28, 2010 at 10:45:55 pm

Hi Chris - I opened the DVD in the finder and moved the VOB video files onto the open app. This time it asked me "Do you want to open this stream as a DVD?" I experimented with both yes and no, forcing it to fix the timecode breaks in the stream...but got the same result: it exports extremely slowly, gets about 12% then conks out, giving me that "sample rate" error message as it did earlier.

I'm not one to give up, but I am tempted to have the DVDs converted to XD, then bring the XD files into my system with a BARE drive. If you have no other suggestions, do you think this is a respectable alternative?

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
on Nov 29, 2010 at 1:11:46 pm

Wow, sounds like that disc is corrupt or something.
I don't know anything about XD.

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]