FORUMS: list search recent posts

How can I rip a DVD with Mpeg Streamclip and maintain broadcast quality for editing in final cut?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Fox
How can I rip a DVD with Mpeg Streamclip and maintain broadcast quality for editing in final cut?
on Nov 26, 2010 at 6:01:36 pm

How can I rip a DVD with Mpeg Streamclip and maintain broadcast quality for editing in final cut? Is ProRes 422 ideal? Eventually after editing in final cut, I intend on compressing, followed by creating a DVD in DVD Studio Pro. I've tried it with DV but when I did that, every time a person moved in the picture, there was this strobing which wasn't in the original master.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: How can I rip a DVD with Mpeg Streamclip and maintain broadcast quality for editing in final cut?
on Nov 26, 2010 at 6:16:43 pm

Hi Mike,
Being the DVDs MPEG-2 a 420/8b format, the best codec would be 8b Uncompress.
Prores would be the second best option, and the best if you have no much storage.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Mike Fox
Re: How can I rip a DVD with Mpeg Streamclip and maintain broadcast quality for editing in final cut?
on Nov 26, 2010 at 6:38:32 pm

Thanks Rafael. Where can I place the 8b Ucompress format? Do I go to file, export to quicktime or one of the other formats?

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Nov 26, 2010 at 8:05:40 pm

Yes, export as QT Movie.
Let everything (size, pixels, field order,..) as the original, so you just transcode.
rafael
PS: The DV option exports ".dv" (DV Stream) files; the native iMovie format.
Something to be avoided (no TC, 32Khz audio).

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Mike Fox
on Nov 26, 2010 at 8:12:34 pm

Thanks. I'll give that a shot.

Return to posts index

Paul Jay
on Nov 27, 2010 at 12:43:42 am

But still. You have to realize that footage on a DVD video already has been compressed to MPEG2.

So there already is loss in quality.

You can maintain the quality by converting it to 8 or 10 bit files but the original quality ( what the camera shot ) is gone.

If you can get your hands on the original tapes or footage that's best.

Return to posts index

Bill Willins
on Nov 28, 2010 at 3:18:18 am

Something we do with SD projects is take the picture directly out of DVD player with a DVI out cable into our camera. And then edit it as normal.

Return to posts index

Michael Phelps
on Sep 23, 2015 at 6:34:25 pm

[Rafael Amador] "Yes, export as QT Movie.
Let everything (size, pixels, field order,..) as the original, so you just transcode."

I know that this is an old thread, but it seems to be along the lines of what I am attempting to do...

It was mentioned to 'just transcode'. Great! But what settings do I select to keep the final file as interlaced? The DVD show as lower interlaced. How do I keep it as lower interlaced in the AppleProRes file?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]