FCP Crashing while in TRIM MODE

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Raul Alvarez
FCP Crashing while in TRIM MODE
on Oct 28, 2010 at 11:01:54 pm

Constant CRASHING!!!!!:
always in two situations:
1. WHILE previewing in TRIM MODE, Green screens in both viewer and canvas appear before the crash; Quite often!!!
2. Less often but frequent, when dragging a clip backwards over the timeline.

Nothing fancy, no EFX, no layers, plain simple editing.
It got less frequent when switching off thumbnails from sequences, but still in Trim Mode is a sure crash! QUITE ANNOYING & TIMECONSUMING

PLEASE ADVISE!!! if a solution can be implemented!!! I'm on a tight deadline!
raul.films@gmail.com

Thanks in advance

Mac Pro (early 2009)
Mac OS X 10.5.8
Final Cut Pro 6.06
Compressor: XDCAM EX 1080p (35 mb/s VBR)
1920x1080

Model Name: Mac Pro
Model Identifier: MacPro3,1
Processor Name: Quad-Core Intel Xeon
Processor Speed: 2.8 GHz
Number Of Processors: 2
Total Number Of Cores: 8
L2 Cache (per processor): 12 MB
Memory: 4 GB
Bus Speed: 1.6 GHz

Return to posts index

Andy Mees
Re: FCP Crashing while in TRIM MODE
on Oct 29, 2010 at 12:17:39 am

You might want to grab Jon Chappell's FCS Maintenance Pack demo (at his Digital Rebellion website) and use his Crash Analyser took to have a look at those crash logs to see if the problem is the codec or something more easily addressed.

If it is the codec then you are in god company. Lot of folks have reported stability problems with XDCAM and MacPro's in the past, whilst others seemingly get away with it scot free ... assuming you don't have the option of transcoding your media to less computationally intensive all I-frame codec (like Apple ProRes 422.) then you could try just switching your timeline compressor to that codec instead and see if that improves the situation (or not).

Hope it helps
Andy

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Oct 29, 2010 at 2:14:46 am

It is it XDCam EX footage? Have you tried copying and pasting into a ProRes timeline at full raster and matching frame rate?

Return to posts index

Paul Jay
on Oct 29, 2010 at 3:10:10 pm

Trash your finalcutpro plist/preferences/caches.
Copy pasting in new timeline ( prores or native) also helps a lot indeed.

Return to posts index

Jim Blokland
on Oct 29, 2010 at 4:37:08 pm

I've also been experiencing similar issues on an XDCAM feature I'm cutting. At first I thought it might have something to do with the Matrox MX02 mini drivers, but now I'm thinking it's the same thing you're experiencing.

I did find a noticeable improvement by trashing the Thumbnail and Waveform caches. Seems to help to do it periodically. (BTW, I'm running on a Westmere Octo...)

If I copy/paste into a ProRes timeline, will I have to render all the 'RT' green bar stuff on output? (I already have FCP set to render in ProRes for any FX, anyway...)

Thanks for any advice.

Best, JIM.

Snow Leopard 10.6.4
Mac Pro Octo Westmere
14 GB RAM
ATI Radeon 5870
Matrox MX02 Mini
Seritek 4 TB RAID
AVID MEDIA COMPOSER 5 // FCS3

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Oct 29, 2010 at 4:44:17 pm

[Jim Blokland] "If I copy/paste into a ProRes timeline, will I have to render all the 'RT' green bar stuff on output?"

Yes, but it's better than to dreaded "conform" process. Use a ProRes timeline, you will be much happier (in my experience).

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Jim Blokland
on Oct 29, 2010 at 4:48:25 pm

Hey Jeremy:

Thanks for your quick response. One question: what exactly is the 'dreaded conform' process? I'm cutting full-res XDCAM EX (with some ProRes elements in the same timeline), and at the end of the day I will either a) output to 444 ProRes QT for colour correct, or do that after I do the CC myself in Color. What issues am I looking at?

Thanks in advance.

Best, JIM.

Snow Leopard 10.6.4
Mac Pro Octo Westmere
14 GB RAM
ATI Radeon 5870
Matrox MX02 Mini
Seritek 4 TB RAID

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Oct 29, 2010 at 4:51:45 pm

[Jim Blokland] "One question: what exactly is the 'dreaded conform' process?"

With long GOP material, FCP has to recreate I_Frames based on the edit. The conform process (upon exporting from FCP) is the creation of those I-Frames. It can take a long time. When using a ProRes sequence, FCP just renders straight to the I-Frame ProRes and there's no conform. No reason to go 444 either unless you have to.

ProRes timelines add stability to XDCam projects.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Jim Blokland
on Oct 29, 2010 at 4:54:27 pm

Wow, those are definitely compelling reasons. Thanks again Jeremy for your knowledgeable replies. I'll give it a go!

Best, JIM.

Snow Leopard 10.6.4
Mac Pro Octo Westmere
14 GB RAM
ATI Radeon 5870
Matrox MX02 Mini
Seritek 4 TB RAID

Return to posts index

Jim Blokland
on Nov 2, 2010 at 5:22:10 pm

Hey Jeremy:

One more question re ProRes flavours: one post suggested going all the way to an offline ProRes proxy. This has eliminated the crashing bug for him. I'm wondering if I need to go that far, or whether you would recommend ProRes 422 or even ProRes HQ, so I just do the transcode, then link up and forget about the XDCAM forever and ever amen...

I've also read that anything over ProRes 422 is overkill for XDCAM originated material.

What's your take?

Thanks in advance.

Best, JIM.

Snow Leopard 10.6.4
Mac Pro Octo Westmere
14 GB RAM
ATI Radeon 5870
Matrox MX02 Mini
Seritek 4 TB RAID

Return to posts index

Raul Alvarez
on Nov 19, 2010 at 7:37:48 pm

Thank you ALL for the responses and suggestions. It has been kind of hell to meet the deadline, switching my timeline over ProRes which has eaten all my Hard Drive space available after rendering and now that I'm back at the edit, it continues crashing the same every single time I use the trim mode or even if I drag a clip within the prores timeline. The only way to "edit" if you might call it like that is to "cut" the clips and "moving" the entire sequence forward to open spaces to paste the desired clips in the desired position. It has even crashed when overwriting or inserting a new source clip from the source monitor.

Does anybody know if apple has addressed this issue in the new version 7?

Thank you all again for any hopeful solution to this!

(Thinking about going back to AVID again!!)

Return to posts index

Tom Brooks
on Jan 8, 2015 at 12:12:35 pm

I have similar issue. Only happens when A/V output is active. If my AJA IOExpress is deactivated in FCX, it's OK. I'm working with AJA right now, but I suspect it's not the fault of the AJA box or driver. I can at least trim if I turn off A/V output.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]