FORUMS: list search recent posts

Desperate forn ANY info.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Edward Neary
Desperate forn ANY info.
on Oct 24, 2010 at 12:06:55 pm

I have edited several weddings on my mac power book with snow leopard, FCP 7 and compressor. Shot with Sony Z7U & Sony EX1 at 1080i/60i. I have a Matrox Mini with Max attached to my computer as well. When I try to export in any form BIG, BIG issues occur. I export using Quicktime Conversion OR Quicktime and settings are current I also sent out the way I'v done over the past year and that doesn't work!! I also have QT 10 and added QT 7 several weeks ago.

Two days ago the movies would export and then crash in compressor when I try to downconvert to SD. Now they don't even export from my FCP timeline (taking 30 hours to export) and Compressor won't even recognize the .mov file (doesn't even attempt to compress). I have attempted to send out the file as Apple Pro Res from FCP, but the file gets very dark as a QT movie and I can't use it. I have trouble shot with Matrox and it hasn't worked.

I'm at y wits end because I don't want to uninstall FCP (have 4 versions from FCP one and up). Should I dump preferences in FCP or just throw my computer out the window!!!!

I am running out of time as my couples are getting VERY impatient.

Help!!!

Return to posts index

Gary Askham
Re: Desperate forn ANY info.
on Oct 24, 2010 at 1:00:02 pm

You have given us very little info. And some of the info is contradictory. Final Cut 7 and Snow Leopard don't run on a Powerbook. I'm guessing you have MacBook Pro. We know you have shot on HDV. But we don't know anything about how you captured the tapes or your sequence settings. Are you trying to make DVDs?

Trash your preferences using Preference Manager.

Can you export a QuickTime reference movie from FCP? Bring that into Compressor and make your DVD files? Bring into DVD Studio Pro and burn to disc?

------------------------
FCP and Avid Technical Support
Air Post Production
Shoreditch - London

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
on Oct 24, 2010 at 2:22:36 pm

You don't have every version of FCP still loaded do you?
Get rid of one QT.
Trash Prefs.

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta

Return to posts index

Edward Neary
on Oct 24, 2010 at 5:27:54 pm

What do you mean every version of FCP? When I purchased it I got FCP 5 and I've upgraded every version to where I am now.

I also shoot with the Canon 5D MKII and need QT 7 in order to do time lapses (QT 10 doesn't do that).

I use QT 10 for my HD movies to send out.

Trash all Prefs. or specific Prefs?

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Oct 24, 2010 at 6:05:44 pm

[Edward Neary] "I use QT 10 for my HD movies to send out."

QT 10 is a useless work in progress that should be used for nothing.

[Edward Neary] "Trash all Prefs. or specific Prefs?
"

Get Preference Manager from Digital Rebellion and let it trash prefs for you. It's free.

[Edward Neary] "What do you mean every version of FCP? When I purchased it I got FCP 5 and I've upgraded every version to where I am now."

Honestly, your post seemed to imply that you had numerous versions installed. You were clearly agitated when you wrote your your first post and it was confusing and unclear. See my other post about using proper and precise terminology here...

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

Colorist - UP IN THE AIR (electronic press kit) - nominated for six academy awards

A forum host of Creative COW's Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums. Formerly host of the Apple Final Cut Basics, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Edward Neary
on Oct 24, 2010 at 6:35:11 pm

Sorry about the confusion David. I've been trying to deal with this issue for 10 days and I'm in worse shape now than when I started.

I have 4 jobs I've edited and can't get on to regular dvd's because I am unable to get them out of FCP. Agitated would be an understatement!!

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Oct 24, 2010 at 6:45:49 pm

[Edward Neary] "Agitated would be an understatement!!"

Trust me, it's easy to see when people are starting to lose it... Their writing skills seem to be the first things to go south...

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
Los Angeles

Colorist - UP IN THE AIR (electronic press kit) - nominated for six academy awards

A forum host of Creative COW's Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums. Formerly host of the Apple Final Cut Basics, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Edward Neary
on Oct 24, 2010 at 5:23:32 pm

Yes, a 17' Mac Book Pro

Bring the files in using a compact flash cards on a usb card reader as Apple Pro Res 422.

For the most part I want to shoot, edit and export HD and downconvert in dvd studio to burn standard dvd's.

No, I can't export a quicktime movie, that's the problem.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Oct 24, 2010 at 5:59:50 pm

[Edward Neary] "No, I can't export a quicktime movie, that's the problem."

Edward,

Please, this is a business of precision, it does no good to discuss things without using the proper terminology here, as it can be very confusing for everyone and it leads to many, many extra back and forth posts, which is not fair to anyone here.

Your first step should always be Export>>Quicktime Movie self contained, using current settings. Are you saying that this step doesn't work?

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
Los Angeles

Return to posts index

Edward Neary
on Oct 24, 2010 at 6:30:45 pm

No, it's not working.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Oct 24, 2010 at 6:43:34 pm

Then you either have a QT or FCP problem and you should try the following.

Are you up to date on all updates when you do Apple>>Software Updates?

If yes then...

1) trash prefs using Pref Manager.

test Export>> QT Movie to see if that works...

If not...

2) try uninstalling Quicktime (both 10 and 7), and uninstall the Matrox drivers as well. Then reinstall QT 7 from the extras folder on your FCS disc.

now test again...

If it works, reinstall the latest Matrox drivers... If not, you may be in for a reinstall of everything.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
Los Angeles

Return to posts index

Edward Neary
on Oct 24, 2010 at 7:02:38 pm

Hey David,

I'll do what you suggested and keep my fingers crossed!!

Thanks for the help.

Ed

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Oct 24, 2010 at 7:03:28 pm

Good luck my friend...

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Oct 24, 2010 at 4:08:31 pm

As I mentioned on your identical post on the Matrox Forum (don\'t double post in the future), your Matrox mini has absolutely zip, nada, nothing to do with DVD creation or exporting anything from FCP other than h.264 files. So, troubleshooting with Matrox is a complete waste of time in this situation for you and for every Cow member trying to help you.

So, now that that\\\'s out if yhe way, are you simply trying to make a DVD?

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
Los Angeles

Return to posts index

Edward Neary
on Oct 24, 2010 at 5:33:25 pm

Sorry about the double post, but I wasn't sure if this was a FCP issue or Martox issue.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Oct 24, 2010 at 7:05:52 pm

Open the sequence settings. Change the sequence compressor from HDV, or XDCAM, to ProRes 422. Rerender. Then export.

GOP sequence settings are very problematic.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Edward Neary
on Oct 24, 2010 at 7:08:52 pm

When I do that the video I've exported gets very dark.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Oct 24, 2010 at 7:11:41 pm

when you converted to ProRes it gets very dark? It shouldn't. You are doing something wrong. Or something else is wrong. This isn't normal.

Shane

Return to posts index

Edward Neary
on Oct 24, 2010 at 8:55:41 pm

Exactly, that's what I can't figure out.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Oct 24, 2010 at 7:31:32 pm

[Shane Ross] "Change the sequence compressor from HDV, or XDCAM, to ProRes 422. Rerender. Then export. "

He earlier said he had imported as ProRes...

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
Los Angeles

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Oct 24, 2010 at 7:37:52 pm

He said he "sent it out as ProRes." That implies converting while exporting, not that things were converted to ProRes or that the sequence settings were set to ProRes. He's being very vague about how he does things.

That's why I gave specific instructions. Change the sequence settings.

Shane

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Oct 24, 2010 at 7:45:22 pm

[Shane Ross] "He's being very vague about how he does things.

That's why I gave specific instructions. Change the sequence settings."

Yep, I agree. As you probably saw, I already got on him about the need for being more precise... Edward's multiple threads are already the longest on the Cow at the moment. When we finally fix him up he's gonna be able to know very well why we don't like vague.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
Los Angeles

Return to posts index

Edward Neary
on Oct 24, 2010 at 10:08:42 pm

Import:

Put Compact Flash Cards in my Image Mate All-in-one USB reader/writer by Sandisk. Use the Log & Transfer option in FCP 7.03 set to Apple Pro Res 422.

Once the video is imported I edit on the FCP Timeline with settings:
Frame Size: HD 1440X1080 (16:9)
Pixel Aspect Ratio: HD(1440X1080)
Field Dominance: Upper (odd)
Editing Timebase: 29.97

Quicktime Settings=== HDV 1080i/60
Quality 100%

Audio Settings===
Rate: 48kHz
Depth: 16-bit
Config. Channel Grouped

Once I edited and render the job I attempt to send it out from FCP.

Settings Are:

VIDEO:
Compression: Apple Pro Res 422
Quality: Medium
Auto Gamma Correction
Progressive
1440X1080 (1888X1062)
Filter: Brightness: 4

AUDIO:
Format: Integer (Little Endian)
Sample Rate: 48.00 kHz
Sample Size: 16-bit
Channels: Stereo (L R)

I just exported a 3 minute movie with the above settings and it looks good on my desktop. I attempted to add it to Compressor 3.5.3.

Settings in Compressor:
I added the .mov file to the Batch Window
I added DVD Best Quality 90 minutes
Target
Destination
desktop submit
submit the job for compression
nothing happens in history, no ETA, no progress on the video. It doesn't seem to be doing anything now.

Also, The video plays in the preview window, but it's not showing progress in the history section. Nothing is happening

Not sure what other info. you require, but tried to be as clear and specific as possible.

In the history section it's waiting and not working. Have no idea what that's about.

Any thoughts?

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Oct 24, 2010 at 10:27:14 pm

You're using Log & Transfer to import as ProRes and then editing in a sequence that's HDV. That's a huge problem.

Rather than set the seq. settings yourself, just open a new seq. and drag a clip into the timeline and let FCP match the settings for you.

And, when exporting use Export>>Quicktime Movie at current settings.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
Los Angeles

Return to posts index

Edward Neary
on Oct 24, 2010 at 10:58:35 pm

Crap, I forgot to mention that when I add a clip from the browser to the timeline I get this message:

"For best performance your sequence and External video should be set to the format of the clips you are editing. Change sequence settings to match the clip settings?" I always say YES.

Also, What about the Compressor Issue? When trying to send the file to my destination in compressor the status menu says it's waiting, waiting for what? How do I get this to process my job?

Thanks for your help today.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Oct 24, 2010 at 11:22:19 pm

Sorry Edward, but there's "pilot error" somewhere, as your clips are not coming in as ProRes as you've informed us, because your Sequence Setting says "Quicktime Settings=== HDV 1080i/60." That tells us you are capturing as HDV.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
Los Angeles

Return to posts index

Edward Neary
on Oct 24, 2010 at 11:45:31 pm

Hey david,

Interesting, because I look at my Log & Transfer settings and under the Import Preferences section it says Apple Pro Res 422.

I'll check my setting s and make changes.

I also used Compressor Repair from Digital rebellion and compressing works now.

Thanks,
ED

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Oct 25, 2010 at 12:05:16 am

[Edward Neary] "I look at my Log & Transfer settings and under the Import Preferences section it says Apple Pro Res 422."

Well, if FCP is matching the settings to the clips the Quicktime Settings would say ProRes. Just look at the clips in the browser over to the right side and check the column that says "Compressor."

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
Los Angeles

Return to posts index

Edward Neary
on Oct 24, 2010 at 9:56:24 pm

Import:

Put Compact Flash Cards in my Image Mate All-in-one USB reader/writer by Sandisk. Use the Log & Transfer option in FCP 7.03 set to Apple Pro Res 422.

Once the video is imported I edit on the FCP Timeline with settings:
Frame Size: HD 1440X1080 (16:9)
Pixel Aspect Ratio: HD(1440X1080)
Field Dominance: Upper (odd)
Editing Timebase: 29.97

Quicktime Settings=== HDV 1080i/60
Quality 100%

Audio Settings===
Rate: 48kHz
Depth: 16-bit
Config. Channel Grouped

Once I edited and render the job I attempt to send it out from FCP.

Settings Are:

VIDEO:
Compression: Apple Pro Res 422
Quality: Medium
Auto Gamma Correction
Progressive
1440X1080 (1888X1062)
Filter: Brightness: 4

AUDIO:
Format: Integer (Little Endian)
Sample Rate: 48.00 kHz
Sample Size: 16-bit
Channels: Stereo (L R)

I just exported a 3 minute movie with the above settings and it looks good on my desktop. I attempted to add it to Compressor 3.5.3.

Settings in Compressor:
I added the .mov file to the Batch Window
I added DVD Best Quality 90 minutes
Target
Destination
desktop submit
submit the job for compression
nothing happens in history, no ETA, no pregress on the video. It doesn't seem to be doing anything now.

Also, The video plays in the preview window, but it's not showing progress in the history section. Nothing is happening

Not sure what other info. you require, but tried to be as clear and specific as possible.

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on Oct 25, 2010 at 12:35:00 am

[Edward Neary] "Put Compact Flash Cards in my Image Mate All-in-one USB reader/writer by Sandisk"

Make a disk image or use Shotput pro to create a duplicate copy of your CF cards.

May I suggest you study Shane's Tapeless workflow for FCP 7 and follow the instructions. Repeat watching Shane's video.

Once you have your footage on your ProRes Timeline, edit away and export QT Movie. Drop that into Compressor and choose your DVD setting.

If you insist that export QT Movie does not work, do a complete reinstall.

If all else fails, hire someone to edit your wedding videos.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Edward Neary
on Oct 25, 2010 at 3:23:00 am

After this wonderful experience I might just hire someone to deal with the technicals aspects of FCP/Comp/etc.....and I'll just edit.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]