FORUMS: list search recent posts

Tips from the hinterland...

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jiggy Gaton
Tips from the hinterland...
on Jul 28, 2010 at 1:14:50 pm

I don't know how you all are doing this (below) but here are two things that I have found useful during heavy editing work in FCS3:

1) A lot has been said about the no-need to defrag drives on a mac. Well, in my experience when my external firewires get over 65% or so full, I start getting beachballs in FCP and Motion a lot. So what I do instead of using some crazy tool like Drive Genius to defrag (not recommended, as I seen this tool destroy data) is that I just create a Carbon Copy Cloner (CCC) backup - as I do everyday - and then erase the fragmented drive, then use Block copy in CCC to put everything back on the freshly erased drive. Bingo, less beachballs for a good while. And it's totally free and safe.

2) When find myself doing lots of keyframing for effects and whatnot, I ditch FCP and send the segment to Motion using the Send To option. The keyframe editor in Motion is far superior and easier on the eyes. All the same filters installed in FCP are available there, albeit a certian few will not work as advertised there. I pray for the day that motioning in FCP becomes as easy and intuitive as in the Motion interface.

Well, that's all I have for the day...happy editing!
Jigs

Phoenix Studios Nepal: A small A/V Production House in Kathmandu.

Return to posts index

Jason Brown
Re: Tips from the hinterland...
on Jul 28, 2010 at 2:34:01 pm

Thanks for the ideas...here's one for you. How in the world do you listen for an incue on a sot in fast forward? The audio is so broken...I cant understand it. I don't see the point of having scrub if you cant understand what ur scrubbing.

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Jul 28, 2010 at 2:57:02 pm

[Jason Brown] "The audio is so broken...I cant understand it. I don't see the point of having scrub if you cant understand what ur scrubbing."

Depends on how fast you're scrubbing. I can understand just fine at quad speed audio, that's two taps on the "L" key. Sometimes I can understand at the next speed depending on whether there is any background noise.

You have to develop an ear for fast forward audio scrub, even when the audio breaks up. At CNN that's all we did all day, everyday when cutting stories. You had to be able to listen to the audio in high speed, even when it was breaking up, to pull the SOTs and make air.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author, Chef.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

"Foul Water, Fiery Serpent" featuring Sigourney Weaver coming soon.

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

Jiggy Gaton
on Jul 28, 2010 at 3:02:18 pm

Assuming you mean in motion for broken audio...it is here too for any video inside motion. I just ignore it and like Walter says, u let your ear be ur guide even though the audio is trashed. I assumed it was my hardware (slow) that was killing the audio in Motion, but maybe not:)

Phoenix Studios Nepal: A small A/V Production House in Kathmandu.

Return to posts index

Jason Brown
on Jul 28, 2010 at 3:08:01 pm

On my machine with my matrox MXO2 running XLR out to my Mackie 1202 I can't interpret it at 2x speed. I'm curious if I would experience something different with a KONA card?

I cut news for years and EVERY system I've ever worked simply speeds up audio. I've gotten into the habit of scrubbing in high speed through my footage in XDCAM transfer because it simply speeds up the audio...it doesn't break up like in FCP. I hope they could fix this in an upcoming version...I've submitted it as a "feature request".

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Jul 28, 2010 at 3:08:40 pm

[Jason Brown] "On my machine with my matrox MXO2 running XLR out to my Mackie 1202 I can't interpret it at 2x speed. I'm curious if I would experience something different with a KONA card?"

I don't know about the MXO2 but all our systems run Kona 3 cards.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author, Chef.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

"Foul Water, Fiery Serpent" featuring Sigourney Weaver coming soon.

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]