FORUMS: list search recent posts

Problem, Wavy Edges on Moving objects

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Micah Alford
Problem, Wavy Edges on Moving objects
on Jul 19, 2010 at 4:43:25 am

Hey all,

Okay, so I am pretty new to Final Cut Pro 7 and I have search the Cow for answers, but I seem to be drawing a blank.

I have been working on a video in which I certain times, I have circle icons images (.tif) moving around, but when the do any movement, their sides become wavy. The faster they move, the larger the waves. But when I play them in the viewer, they move like they should with the waves.

I also have video that moves and a similar thing happens.

I have tried to full render, make their movement an even number, and change the format of the project, but I cannot seem to find an answer. If anyone knows how to fix this that would be great.

Return to posts index

John Pale
Re: Problem, Wavy Edges on Moving objects
on Jul 19, 2010 at 5:19:00 am

Your Canvas window is at 50%. What does it look like at 100%?

FCP is optimized to show the full quality image on an external video monitor, not the computer monitor..but setting your canvas at 100% will give you a better idea of what it really looks like.

Posting your sequence settings would be helpful also.

Return to posts index

Micah Alford
on Jul 19, 2010 at 5:31:49 am

Same thing happens with the canvas window at 100%. I have exported is, using various settings, and viewed it on other screens, but the same thing happens.

Not sure what the sequence settings you are looking for, but here is what i found.

Frame Size: 720 x 480
NTSC DV (3:2)
Pixel Aspect Ratio: NTSC - CCIR 601 / DV 720 x 576

If you need anything else, just let me knwo

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Jul 19, 2010 at 8:46:00 am

What are the field order settings for graphic, movies and sequence. DV is a horrible codec on computer playback. To judge quality you must be going to an external TV monitor.

Return to posts index

Kris Merkel
on Jul 19, 2010 at 11:39:44 am

Try moving your GFX in to Motion or AE. Make your moves there and export the comp with the animation codec. Then import into FCP and see if the problem persists.

Return to posts index

Stuart Simpson
on Jul 19, 2010 at 1:46:24 pm

They look like interlace lines to me. That would be perfectly normal if you're working on an interlaced preset. I take it you aren't connected to an external monitor?

-Stuart
7 MacPros - Kona 3, Kona LH & Kona LHi
1 G5 - Kona LH
xbox360, Wii, PSP, PS3
http://www.speak.co.uk

Return to posts index

Tim Tierney
on Jul 19, 2010 at 2:11:41 pm

I'm on FCP 6 using XDCAM EX footage and I too have a case of the "wobbles". Any vertical line gets kind of wavy. I have seen that others have this issue too. Forget panning, this camera only wants stationary shots. I see playback on the camera monitor and all is perfect but as soon as I go to ingest those wavey lines show up. I've been having a hard time trying to get to the bottom of this, two years worth of footage not used because of this distortion.
What am I missing here?

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Jul 20, 2010 at 2:48:47 am

Looks like field order error to me. Make sure the field order on the source material and the sequence match and view the result on an external monitor via an I/O card (Kona, Matrox, Decklink)

XDCam is perfectly capable of having panned images. If you are monitoring correctly and have the field order correctly matching, there is no reason not to pan this camera. Many video cameras including RED have issues with rolling shutter. I would bet though that this is field order.

(Apologies to Dave LaRonde who quite rightly points out that field dominance is the correct wording, however only old school curmudgeons like he an me know what that means so I defer to common usage, regardless of how wrong it is)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]