FORUMS: list search recent posts

Client has supplied interlaced DVD

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Neil Weaver
Client has supplied interlaced DVD
on Jul 14, 2010 at 11:42:07 am

Hey all,

Just wanted to check I've got this right. A client wants an update to an edit we did for them a few months back using their supplied footage.

This time, the new footage they've sent us is an authored DVD that hasn't been deinterlaced so there's combing all over it.

I've ripped the DVD using mpeg streamclip and attempted to deinterlace it in QT7, but as I suspected neither option has worked because the DVD was authored with the interlacing artifacts.

So the combing effects are in effect burnt on aren't they? - in the same way subtitles or a timecode might be burnt on? Or am I missing something?

Cheers!

Return to posts index

Jiggy Gaton
Re: Client has supplied interlaced DVD
on Jul 14, 2010 at 12:14:40 pm

sounds right to me...did you or they keep the original project with source footage? i think that's the preferred way to do an edit. We keep our projects archived forever just for this reason (using FCP project manager), although i do wish more of those clients would come back for editing :)
jigs

Phoenix Studios Nepal: A small A/V Production House in Kathmandu.

Return to posts index

Neil Weaver
on Jul 14, 2010 at 12:41:40 pm

That's what I thought.

We've got the original project archived, but this is new material we had nothing to do with either shooting or authoring.

I've told them they need to get me whatever movie the DVD was authored from or live with the interlacing.

Cheers!

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Jul 14, 2010 at 10:07:49 pm

DVD's are standard def so interlacing is normal. When you rip it, what codec are you going to? Perhaps you are changing field order by mistake.

Deinterlacing in Compressor will give you better control over this.

Return to posts index

Neil Weaver
on Jul 14, 2010 at 10:19:19 pm

I've tried both field orders and ripping to ProRes (SD) and Apple Motion Jpeg.

There's very little, in fact, nothing between them. I think the problem is that as the DVD has been authored from an interlaced source file, neither mpeg streamclip nor compressor 'know' they're even dealing with interlaced footage.

Oddly enough, there's a segment in the video which has clearly been shot or edited progressive as that has a lot of motion and no interlacing artifacts. (Basically it's a montage DVD for a presentation so the footage has come from a lot of different sources).

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]