FORUMS: list search recent posts

Can Compressor become a render farm?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jiggy Gaton
Can Compressor become a render farm?
on Jul 12, 2010 at 8:23:26 pm

Hi all, I've been working in C4d for a bit this week and installed Net Render, and it's really cool. I remember seeing some compressor settings that would allow other machines to join the render/compression fun yes? Is there a way to batch off some FCP jobs to other machines just sitting there doing nothing all day? If so, is there a fireproof tut...I have not touched the compressor/qmaster settings in fear of breaking it (in v6 I was down for days for being so foolish). Cheers!
jigs

Phoenix Studios Nepal: A small A/V Production House in Kathmandu.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Can Compressor become a render farm?
on Jul 12, 2010 at 8:43:48 pm

You can use QMaster and setup a cluster, but your mileage may vary.

You can't send straight from FCP though, you have to use reference or self contained movies.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Jiggy Gaton
on Jul 12, 2010 at 9:13:28 pm

Thx for that Jeremy...yes, clusters...that was it. But why can't you do a "Send to Compressor" right from the timeline? In v7 it releases the job right away so you can still work, unlike before. Anyway, I guess I can google clusters now that you reminded me of the right word:)

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jul 12, 2010 at 9:18:40 pm

[Jiggy Gaton] " But why can't you do a "Send to Compressor" right from the timeline?"

Clusters don't work with the "send to" command.

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1099

Return to posts index

Matt Lyon
on Jul 12, 2010 at 11:01:25 pm

I'm guessing this is because Qmaster needs a discreet file on disk (be it "self contained" or "reference") in order for it to be properly segmented and sent to the various clusters.

When you send a file directly from FCP, Compressor has to call on the FCP software libraries... which seems to be the limiting factor here.

Maybe 64 bit FCP will correct this?

Matt Lyon
Editor
Toronto

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Jul 12, 2010 at 11:15:01 pm

Send to (and the old Compress With) has FCP sending one frame at a time. Before it sends it to compressor it uncompresses the frame brings it into 4:4:4 color space. The extra time that it takes is this step. So making the compression faster would make the bottle neck go away.

Return to posts index

Jiggy Gaton
on Jul 13, 2010 at 2:43:20 am

thx guys, and matt, what u say makes sense-sorta. it seems Apple should automate "send to" to do just that anyway, as I noticed that while "send to Compressor" no longer locks FCP like it used to, u can't close the app while compressor is working on the job. that's a really silly design eh.
jigs

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Jul 13, 2010 at 9:54:19 pm

[Jiggy Gaton] "u can't close the app while compressor is working on the job. that's a really silly design eh. "

won't that be like expecting Motion or AE to keep exporting after it was closed. Send to is feeding the frames. Your work flow is there in the export a movie.

But It would be nice to have the export movie automated to where you set up the Compressor settings that automatically start once the entire movie is saved and that the exporting can happen in the back ground also. That would be the best of both worlds and maybe we will see that in FCP8.

What most people don't realize is that compressor doesn't actually do anything either, it is just a way to setup the encoding engine, which is who knows where. If you are encoding from a file, you can close compressor as soon as you submit the batch, it's job is done.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jul 13, 2010 at 10:32:17 pm

[Michael Sacci] "But It would be nice to have the export movie automated to where you set up the Compressor settings that automatically start once the entire movie is saved and that the exporting can happen in the back ground also. "

Watch folders for Compressor would be awesome. I think it's a very often requested feature.

you can setup droplets and get something close to a watch folder, but it's not really a watch folder.

Return to posts index

Jiggy Gaton
on Jul 14, 2010 at 5:08:08 am

Great comments all! So I guess the answer is really "not yet, stay tuned..." cheers,
jigs

Return to posts index

Neil Sadwelkar
on Jul 14, 2010 at 11:30:34 am

Also, note that the render farm machines all need access to the media that's being compressed. So you'll need to mount that drive/s in all these machines.

-----------------------------------
Neil Sadwelkar
neilsadwelkar.blogspot.com
twitter: fcpguru
FCP Editor, Edit systems consultant
Mumbai India

Return to posts index

Jiggy Gaton
on Jul 14, 2010 at 12:11:33 pm

thx for that! understood. We already have a lan that is working for 3d render farm... I just wish compressor was that easy...
jigs

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jul 14, 2010 at 1:26:21 pm

Compressor/QMaster is kind if ready for this as it has preferences to copy media to the cluster if needed.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]