podcasts

Mini DV Workflow

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jake Deeds
Mini DV Workflow
on Jul 2, 2010 at 12:37:22 am

Hey guys, my first time posting,

So I just finished shooting a project on mini DV. I captured the footage at best quality DV DVCPRO NTSC. The final project will need a lot filters, graphics, and color correction. So my thought was to work in a ProRes timeline.

My question is, should I transcode all of my captured footage to ProRes before I start to edit in the ProRes timeline? Or can I edit in a DVCPro timeline, then copy and paste the sequence into a ProRes timeline when I'm done editing and simply render?

Or is there a completely different path I should be taking?

Thanks,
Jake

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
Re: Mini DV Workflow
on Jul 2, 2010 at 1:17:23 am

If you are going to do that much to the DV footage you may want to look at some of the Natress Filters. They have a chroma sampling filter that will help with the step up.

Return to posts index

Jake Deeds
on Jul 2, 2010 at 1:32:17 am

So are you saying going to a ProRes sequence would be pointless, I should just work in a DVCPRO sequence?

Return to posts index

Alan Okey
on Jul 2, 2010 at 2:45:25 am

[Jake Deeds] "So are you saying going to a ProRes sequence would be pointless, I should just work in a DVCPRO sequence?
"

No, quite the opposite. The chroma smoothing filters won't be of any use unless you edit in a sequence that uses a 4:2:2 codec like ProRes.

The simplest thing to do is just open the sequence settings of your DV sequence and change the compressor setting to ProRes 422. There is no need to transcode the footage prior to editing.

Return to posts index

Jake Deeds
on Jul 2, 2010 at 2:53:38 am

That's it, just change the compression of the sequence to ProRes 422? I wont run into any problems being that the footage was captured using DV/DVC Pro NTSC?

Awesome, almost sounds too simple.

Return to posts index

Alan Okey
on Jul 2, 2010 at 3:05:55 am

[Jake Deeds] "That's it, just change the compression of the sequence to ProRes 422? I wont run into any problems being that the footage was captured using DV/DVC Pro NTSC?

Awesome, almost sounds too simple. "

It really is that easy. Enjoy!

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Jul 2, 2010 at 3:33:26 am

But you don't have ProRes footage, you are still applying everything to a 4:1:1 clip. Graphics and text will look better. But this is not a magic step to 4:2:2.

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Jul 2, 2010 at 3:47:00 am

Also remember, all the benefit of doing this will be lost if you record your edit back to DV or DVCPRO tape. The VTR will apply the DV compression all over again.

Output to Digital Betacam and all will be well.

Return to posts index

Joe Severino
on Jul 6, 2010 at 12:28:56 am

Does that mean that FCP does not resample the clip in the timeline? it just lays the ProRes codec over everything?

Mac Pro 3.2 GHz Dual Quad Core
14GB RAM
NVIDIA 8800 GT
Blackmagic Intensity Pro
OS X 10.6.3 (Clean Instal)
Final Cut Studio 3 (Clean Instal)
Logic Studio (Clean Instal)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]