FORUMS: list search recent posts

Scratch Disks Full

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jake Huddleston
Scratch Disks Full
on May 24, 2010 at 2:59:16 am

Hi there. While I was trying to capture video from my camcorder into FCE, I got a pop-up message saying 'The current Capture Scratch drive(s) are too full. Please remove files from these drives or select a new capture scratch location.'

First of all, I am unfamiliar with Capture Scratch drives and if they are related strictly to Final Cut or if they are part of the computer itself. Also, the other information I've found on this subject has been quite vague. I hear a lot of people mentioning external hard drives, which I am planning on purchasing soon, but in the mean time, I do not have one at my disposal. Basically, I need to know if and how this problem can be fixed without an external hard drive. The error message mentions removing files from these drives. I have video I have captured into FCE that I am more than willing to get rid of to open up more space if need be. Thank you for your help!

Jake Huddleston

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: Scratch Disks Full
on May 24, 2010 at 3:17:29 am

Jake, if you are capturing to your system drive and the drive is reporting it is full, then you potentially have a very serious issue.

Firstly media should never be on the system drive. Secondly drives should never be filled. Some recommend 70-80% but never go beyond 90% or performance will be poor. Thirdly, if you don't understand how to set your scratch drive, read the manual. It is so basic that you shouldn't attempt to capture and edit without learning the basics of file management.

By filling your system drive, you run the risk of the whole system crashing or slowing down to a crawl. External drives are so cheap that not buying one immediately and moving your existing media to it to free up space is madness. While you are studying the manual, read about using Media Manger to move a project to an external drive.

Return to posts index

Thomas Morter-Laing
Re: Scratch Disks Full
on May 24, 2010 at 6:23:43 pm

Michael is correct, and to clarify further, the scratch drive is simply the hard drive you are importing (capturing) ur material onto. Ideally this shouldn't be ur Macintosh HD because it's a less safe way to do things and is marginally slower as well hence why an external HD is so useful, assuming it doesn't corrupt. DON'T buy a cheap one or it WILL die, go for a reputable brand like western dgital or lacie :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]