FORUMS: list search recent posts

GoPro HD in 24p FCP workflow

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bryan Rill
GoPro HD in 24p FCP workflow
on Apr 26, 2010 at 3:45:09 am

I`m new to posting here but I`ve been reading the COW forums for quite some time. Given the good advice, i think the veterans here might be able to address my current issue. Thanks for the time.
I use a Canon HG20 in 1080i24p mode, then remove the pulldown and convert to ProRes422 for my FCP workflow. Lately i got a HERO HD, and i have been shooting in two modes to test them. The 720p 60fps has the best motion, and on my monitor i can`t see any difference in clarity between that and the same footage shot at the 1080p 30fps (in which the motion is still good, but not as smooth). My MOTION here is hiking some intense trails in Japan.

I am trying to decide which is best for my project. Right now i am envisioning a Blue Ray DVD release, with the possibility of ethnographic film for film festivals. Hence, one of my first questions is how will the lower resolution look if projected on a big screen in comparison to the 1080p?

If it will look good, then how can i use that footage in FCP? I can use MPEG Streamclip to convert to Prores, but what about the different frame rates? If i don`t want slowmotion, do i need to convert from 60fps to 24? How will leaving it at 60fps look after final rendering?
A similar question for the 30fps footage at 1080p. If i use this, do i leave it the same or convert somehow to 24fps? In both cases, what issues am i facing?

Third, if i must go with the higher resolution to match my current project resolution (full 1080), how well can the motion smoothing in FCP make the motion more fluid (like the 720p)?

Any and all ideas are welcome.

Return to posts index

Eric Hansen
Re: GoPro HD in 24p FCP workflow
on Apr 27, 2010 at 4:54:23 pm

use MPEG Streamclip to create ProRes (or whatever your editing codec is).

as far as 720 vs. 1080, the native size of the Hero HD sensor is 1280x960p, which is 4:3. it's an odd ratio and resolution, but thats what the GoPro guys told me at NAB. this gives you the widest angle and it also allows you to move the image up and down in FCP to select the best framing for your shot. when you select the 1080 setting, it's cropping the sensor (ironically) and upressing in camera. since the 960p setting gives you more sensor info, i would go with that, and upres later.

60p seems smoother because its more frames per second. if you want to take 60p to 24p in real time, then you need something like Twixtor. if you just drop the 60p clip into a 24p timeline in FCP, it will throw out the extra frames and it will have choppy playback. Twixtor will smartly blend frames and you can add motion blur to make it seem like it was shot at 24p. i've used the Heros quite a bit and we run everything through Twixtor to get 24p. if we want to slow things down (which is what a lot of the test footage on GoPro's site is), we retime using Cinema Tools. we only shoot 60p if we know we're going to slow the footage down.

MPEG Streamclip is the fastest transcoder we've found. it also has a surprisingly good scaler.

as far as how good it will look on a big screen? as i explained above, you won't see a difference in quality between the 720p and 1080 out of the camera since the sensor isn't 1080. if you want the 170 degree view that the camera is capable off, then you need to select 720p anyway. due to the bend in the image from the fisheye, we usually take the 1280x960p image and stretch it to 16:9 and blow it up to 1080 (instead of changing the framing as i mentioned above) and get good looking results. but remember, this is a $300 camera. if you want it to look good on a big screen, make sure you're shooting compelling content.

e

Eric Hansen - http://www.erichansen.tv

Return to posts index

harrison Schaaf
on Dec 31, 2010 at 10:26:04 am

great info eric -

when shooting 60p for slow motion, can you transcode to .mov with mpeg streamclip and then import to fcp without losing frames?

just tried that and it looked like good old 60p slomo in a 24 timeline - what does the cinema tools step add?

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Dec 31, 2010 at 12:48:05 pm

[harrison Schaaf] "when shooting 60p for slow motion, can you transcode to .mov with mpeg streamclip and then import to fcp without losing frames?"
Yes. If you don't put any value on "Frame rate", the exported file will keep the original time-base.

[harrison Schaaf] "just tried that and it looked like good old 60p slomo in a 24 timeline - what does the cinema tools step add?"
The "Conforming", changes the file meta-data so your p60 file is played at 24 fps.
This is great because doesn't implies any rendering or processing.
The conformed file keeps pixel by pixel the original quality.
BE CAREFUL because this process is not 'undoable".
Do it on duplicated files.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Jan Oeding
on Jan 2, 2011 at 2:58:27 pm

[updated link]

Hi

Here's a little step-by-step tutorial on using MPEG-Streamclip to convert GoPro HD footage for Final Cut Pro.

http://oeding.com/tutorial-how-to-convert-gopro-hd-footage-for-editing-in-f...

I hope that helps

Cheers
Jan

Return to posts index

Paul Hillman
on May 5, 2011 at 9:56:25 pm

Hi, and thanks for spelling out best practices in MPEG Streamclip. I tried transcoding GoPro footage to ProRes-LT, ProRes-Proxy, and ProRes 422. When playing the LT and Proxy clips back in Final Cut Pro, there is a weird effect where the clips seems to playback fine, but once playback is stopped, the still frame of the video in the viewer (or canvas) turns really contrasty and somewhat pixelated. This same effect does not happen with the ProRes 422 clips.

I also played back all 3 clips in QuickTime, and the issue was not there, so seems to be a Final Cut Pro thing--verified on a laptop, my main workstation is a MacPro. My worry is that this issue will manifest itself into something horrible later on. However, I also don't want to make ProRes 422 clips for all the GoPro media, since the files get 10x bigger from native GoPro to ProRes 422. LT and Proxy files are only 3-4x bigger, so that's more manageable, but this contrast/pixelation issue in the FCP viewer is troubling.

any tips?

Return to posts index

George Notaras
on Jan 29, 2011 at 5:12:06 am

Hi Eric:

I stumbled upon this because I too am using the GoPro as part of my bag of tricks. Like you suggested, I am using MPEG Streamclip to convert the files for FCP. That said, it takes an OBSCENE amount of time to convert these files. Figure of an hour for 20-30 minute clips. In your experience, is this normal?

Also, does anyone know of any plug ins or work arounds to get the GoPro footage work within FCP Log and Transfer like the Canon EOS Plug in does (also a very slow conversion process).

Thanks in advance,

George

Sony EX1
Canon Rebel T2i
Canon 7D (Sometimes)
Final Cut 6.0.6

Return to posts index

James Haefner
on Feb 20, 2011 at 1:55:13 pm

hey Guys,

thanks for this GoPro Hero HD discussion

I have also been field testing -- and I still have a few lingering Questions & Concerns:

* My camera setting is Stuck - yes, stuck -- in TimeLapse mode -- read some other forums seems to be an epidemic -- have not heard back from the GoPro folks, yet -- any suggestions?

* What is the best FCP Project/Sequence Setting? I want my footage to be 16:9 and in some cases match some other HD footage/aspect ratio -- was really surprised when my footage still appeared 4:3

any and all comments, suggestions -- thank you

Return to posts index

Sean Kapleton
on May 14, 2011 at 3:23:44 pm

Just did a search for GoPro and came across this thread - I need to Uprez my 1820x720 GoPro footage to 1920x1080 and was going to do this in Compressor.

Does any one have some exact settings advice for doing this in Compressor?
cheers
sean

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]