FORUMS: list search recent posts

flickering in motion graphic

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Brown
flickering in motion graphic
on Apr 22, 2010 at 3:42:02 pm

I’m getting very fine flickering in sequences when zooming, panning and tilting, most noticeably in the latter. Mostly in high contrast and brighter areas of the image, such as water reflections. It’s like a fine shimmering, making a river look like it is flowing!

My project is a motion graphics video in Final Cut Express, working from still photos from photoshop, in TIF format, at 1:1 ratio, image to projector resolution, when viewing a portion of the image at the maximum enlargement, and about 3:1 when looking at the whole image. The problem remains when I convert it to Final Cut Pro.

I have played with different rendering settings and interleavings, with no luck. Working in Apple HD intermediate codec, 1080i.

I believe this to be a result of rounding errors from interpolations during rendering, in which adjacent light-dark pixels flash back and forth, not knowing which to be during the pan/tilt/zoom. I have had some success applying a gaussian blur and a “defliickerator 4.atn” action I downloaded to the file in photoshop, before importing it into FCE. But not good enough.

I am wondering if anyone has had a similar problem, and has explored the problem more fully, and has a good solution.

Thanks, Chris Brown

Return to posts index

Christina Rodriguez
Re: flickering in motion graphic
on Jul 8, 2010 at 1:40:22 am

Are you by chance using shadows in FInal Cut...

I was having similar issues, turns out I should not be adding shadows in FInal CUt to transparent objects (especially without well defined edges) like smoke, etc... I am adding them directly in Motion, and that really helps tremendously.

C.R.

Return to posts index

Chris Brown
Re: flickering in motion graphic
on Jul 8, 2010 at 1:41:29 pm

Nope, not using shadows. I think the problem is with a high contrast subject combined with motion, creating rounding errors in rendering with FCE. I have been advised that this kind of work needs After Effects.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]