FORUMS: list search recent posts

Capture to Two Scratch Disks Simultaneously

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Christopher Hill
Capture to Two Scratch Disks Simultaneously
on Apr 1, 2010 at 9:26:02 pm

We have an upcoming project where instead of capturing to SXS cards we'll be capturing directly to a Mac Pro via SDI. We like to have backups of all our source files as well as with this project we're handing off a lot of our source files to contract editors.

Typically we would just spend time copying each of the captured files to other drives, but this can be time consuming, especially with the amount of content we're filming. So, is it possible to set multiple capture scratch drives and *force* Final Cut to capture to all specified drives? Rather than using the other set drives as the overflow?

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: Capture to Two Scratch Disks Simultaneously
on Apr 1, 2010 at 9:31:13 pm

I know one way to do it...

If you set up your drives as RAID 1, this will mirror everything going onto one drive to the other.

There might be other solutions, but I kinda doubt it.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

EPK Colorist - UP IN THE AIR - nominated for six academy awards

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Christopher Hill
on Apr 1, 2010 at 9:48:35 pm

Raid 1 would be nice strictly for backup assurance, but I'm hoping for a solution that would leave the drives independent so that I can send the extra drives off with our contracted editors.

Essentially I would like to capture 1st-To our main Raid, 2nd-To a backup Drive (non-raid) and 3rd-To and external or hot-swap drive for our Editors; all at the same time. Otherwise I end up capturing to our Raid and then copying the captured files over to the backup and external drives. Not the end of the world, just one more step I'd like to eliminate if I can.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Apr 1, 2010 at 10:07:52 pm

[Christopher Hill] "Essentially I would like to capture 1st-To our main Raid, 2nd-To a backup Drive (non-raid) and 3rd-To and external or hot-swap drive for our Editors; all at the same time."

Sorry, you can't do that. You are asking the computer to send the signal to 3 drive sources simultaneously, and write to them simultaneously. And no NLE does that.

The RAID 1 solution is a slick one, as you can separate the drives and use them as stand alone drives. The CalDigit VR allows for this. I know someone who does that, and sends one drive from location to the shop...they have the VR chassey in each location.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Chris Borjis
on Apr 1, 2010 at 10:10:06 pm

or have 3 separate systems on site doing capture now, all being fed the SDI connection through a multiplexer/router.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Apr 1, 2010 at 10:20:17 pm

[Chris Borjis] "or have 3 separate systems on site doing capture now, all being fed the SDI connection through a multiplexer/router. "

Hey, now there's a cost effective solution that beats the heck out of just copying the files to another drive.

NOT!!!

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

EPK Colorist - UP IN THE AIR - nominated for six academy awards

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Arnie Schlissel
on Apr 2, 2010 at 3:09:11 am

[Chris Borjis] "or have 3 separate systems on site doing capture now, all being fed the SDI connection through a multiplexer/router."

You don't actually need the computer systems. You can use AJA Ki Pro recorders, or Convergent recorders.

Arnie

Post production is not an afterthought!
http://www.arniepix.com/

Return to posts index

Chris Borjis
on Apr 2, 2010 at 4:17:32 pm

even better.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]