FORUMS: list search recent posts

Synching audio/video

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jim Bell
Synching audio/video
on Mar 30, 2010 at 1:33:54 am

My first pro project... do you think it could be simple? A one hour radio talk show interview... recorded with a direct line feed from the radio board. Problem! Line feed was fed into camera's mic input, signal too hot and sounds terrible. The interview was also recorded audio only via a PC and live web stream from the station using Audacity sound editing software. The MP3 sounds great. Converted it to .aiff and it too sounds great. So now, in theory, I should be able to synch these up and save the day.

Before I dive in... Does anyone have any tips, tricks or on how I might best ace this task? Or traps to avoid? Would it be best to do it in FCP or should I send it to Soundtrack pro and tweak it there? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Robb Harriss
Re: Synching audio/video
on Mar 30, 2010 at 4:42:44 am

Never sure why people are so freaked about editing sound. It's not like anything is going to explode.
Anyway. . . Just make sure everything is at the same frequency. 48, 44.1 whatever. Makes like simple. You can use MP3 especially in STP. How and what are you going to "edit?" Are you just syncing or actually editing the video? STP lets you move clips in subframe amounts, but don't obsess about it.

Non-linear: all the time and nothing but.

Return to posts index

Jim Bell
on Mar 30, 2010 at 6:58:57 am

When interview was shot camera broke for commercials sometimes and ran through others... so synching up numerous breaks and editing out commercials... then doing some motion work to simulate close-ups, etc.

on top of that there seems to be some difference in the clock of the audio capture device, for reasons covered in an earlier post it was not done with the camera... audio pulls ahead 5 frames or so every 10 minutes.... i've got the sound basics but am just wondering if there are any tricks to quickly lip synching around this... how do you best make up the missing frames? Do I just find an earlier point and bump the sound back? It works sort of but does not seem precise... a lot of time used eyeing it up...

I have not done a lot of it, so any technique to help me get it bang-on quick would be of help.

Thanks,

jb

10.6.1 Macbook Pro 17" w/express 34, G-Tech 2 TB GRaid, TC Electronic Impact Twin FW audio interface

Hindsight is always 1080p - Thanks to Zane Barker, this made me smile...you too?

Return to posts index

Itamar Kool
on Mar 30, 2010 at 11:36:33 am

For syncing you can also take a look at Plural Eyes from Singular Software. I also use it for syncing audiotracks that were recorded seperately from my camera

Kool En De Anderen
MAC Pro 8 core/OS 10.6.2/Kona LHe/Apple FCS 3/Adobe PPCS3/Huge fibrechannel
http://www.koolendeanderen.nl

Return to posts index

Robb Harriss
on Mar 30, 2010 at 12:55:21 pm

no, you have it right. It's just a matter of shifting it every little while. You're seeing drift. It's not that the whole track is 10f out of sync, the sync varies over time. Hop forward 1 min and adjust the audio 2 f. Not a big deal.
If you can actually "hear" the "bad" audio: one big trick is to put one source on one track and the other source on another. If they're in sync there's no echo out of sync there's an echo. So you bump the one track until there is no echo. That amount is your offset. CMX would let us do this live on tape sources. Could do it in a couple seconds (curse you Spock!). It's just like tuning a guitar and listening to the harmonics between the two strings. Adjust until the beat goes away.

Good luck

Non-linear: all the time and nothing but.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]