FORUMS: list search recent posts

Out Of Memory Error Message FCP 7 on Mac Pro with 14 GB RAM

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James Fortier
Out Of Memory Error Message FCP 7 on Mac Pro with 14 GB RAM
on Mar 16, 2010 at 11:24:51 pm

This problem just started after I installed additional RAM, I now have a set of 1 GB, and 6 pairs of 2 GB, total of 14 GB. The only way around the error message is to break clips into smaller clips and render them separately, I also noticed that the render time itself is ridiculously long. I'm running FCP 7 on a Mac Pro 2x 2.66GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon, with all latest updates installed. System Profiler indicates no errors with any of the RAM DIMMs. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: Out Of Memory Error Message FCP 7 on Mac Pro with 14 GB RAM
on Mar 16, 2010 at 11:29:59 pm

By all means, try taking out the 1Gb sticks and see what happens.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

EPK Colorist - UP IN THE AIR - nominated for six academy awards

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Scott Sheriff
on Mar 16, 2010 at 11:37:23 pm

I have to agree with David. It will probably run better with the 1 gig sticks removed. But I'm guessing there is something else going on. Did you recently upgrade your FCP, or OS? Download an update?

Scott Sheriff
Director
SST Digital Media
http://www.sstdigitalmedia.com

Return to posts index

Michael Sheehan
on Mar 16, 2010 at 11:46:54 pm

Hi James,
This might already be something you have considered, but until I got religion about it, the facility I worked for had the most incredibly unreal, hair-tearing bizarre FCP issues. Basically both risers have to have all the same DIMMs laid out the same way on each. 6 on each riser. I concur that adding the 1g DIMMS into the mix is not a good idea. Once I went in a reconfigure every machine to have evenly matched sets of DIMMS of the same type (3 2gs on each, 4 1 gs on each, etc) our problems disappeared.

Don't know if this will help. Hope so.
Cheers
Michael

Return to posts index

James Fortier
on Mar 17, 2010 at 1:32:40 am

turns out the two 1 GB sticks are labeled as 2 GB but showing up as 1 GB each in the system profiler, so clearly they are defective, I removed them, and so far no more error message, but rendering time still seems slow, I'll order one more set of 2 GB sticks and max this out at 16 GB evenly spread across both risers, thanks for the feedback.

Return to posts index

Bryan Banks
on Mar 17, 2010 at 5:26:13 am

I was getting this message yesterday when prepping my friend's sequence for color... it was a .jpg that was way too big (6k x 4k). scaled that down in PS and everything rendered fine after that.

-Bryan

Return to posts index

Mike Kahn
on Mar 17, 2010 at 5:02:42 pm

FCP can only use 2g of RAM no matter how much is in your machine. It is recommended that you have at least 4g to use uncompressed HD so that the machine has 2g and FCP has the full 2g.

This is because FCP is still a 32bit program and 32bit programs can not use more then 2g of RAM ever. Once FCP goes 64bit then all that RAM can get utilized.

Return to posts index

James Fortier
on Mar 17, 2010 at 5:32:25 pm

Interesting, I did not know that, thanks for the tip, I'll put off buying the additional set of 2GB Memory Sticks then.

Return to posts index

William Wonders
on Jul 11, 2012 at 6:16:40 am

that is for each project or all together

Return to posts index

Mike Kahn
on Jul 11, 2012 at 5:28:17 pm

This is for the application, not project based. And I was a bit off, 32bit applications can use about 3.5gig of ram, not 2 gig.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]