FORUMS: list search recent posts

Drobo pro connected via iSCSI

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Phil Bucci
Drobo pro connected via iSCSI
on Mar 4, 2010 at 5:47:02 pm

I am looking at the Drobo pro and other RAID systems. I've herd on here a lot of problems with the speed of editing off of the drobo pro but most then say they are trying to edit HD only using the FW800 connection. Is any one hooked up using the iSCSI (utilizes Gigabit Ethernet)² connection and does this solve the speed problem?

Thanks
Phil

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Drobo pro connected via iSCSI
on Mar 4, 2010 at 6:29:53 pm

The drobo is an archive/backup/slow storage device. I would not use it for editing.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Rob Grauert
on Mar 4, 2010 at 6:30:56 pm

We have a couple Drobos at my work. They are a nuisance.

First of all, they don't consistently connect via iSCSI. We've contacted Drobo a few times about this and all they're really said is, "yea, you could try buying another ethernet board." So FW800 is the only connection that works consistently...most of the time.

Also, Drobos aren't meant for editing. In fact, the discs slow down when they are filled to a certain capacity and get slower as you keep filling them. So even if you do get the iSCSI to work, you still may not achieve the speed you desire.

If you need performance, buy a RAID built for it. Drobos are made more for back up...at least that the impression I have.

Robert J. Grauert, Jr.
http://www.robgrauert.com
command-r.tumblr.com

Return to posts index

Don Walker
on Mar 4, 2010 at 8:14:10 pm

Save yourself the hassel..... DO NOT BUY A DROBO! I bought one last summer for archive only and it still has a disk go missing from time to time........ Customer non support was no help.
Don Walker

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Mar 4, 2010 at 9:04:19 pm

I was given a project on a Drobo once. Once was enough. I had all sorts of trouble getting it to reliably connect via FW800 and although running HDV codec, I had to render as ProRes on my internal RAID as it wasn't fast enough to play ProRes 1920 x 1080 which I can comfortably do with Lacie and WD FW800 drives.

Big thumbs down here for speed and connect-ability.

Return to posts index

Zane Barker
on Mar 5, 2010 at 5:58:10 am

The Drobo is a GREAT product for backups, NOT for editing.

The redundancy features are AMAZING, but they are slow to wake from sleep and the data speeds are slow compared to other other FW800 devices.

I didnt buy my Drobo for editing I got it to store my large itunes library on and to use for time machine, and to archive finished videos on. For those things its great.

Hindsight is always 1080p

Return to posts index

Phil Bucci
on Mar 5, 2010 at 9:02:57 am

Alright thats a resounding stay away. Thanks for the advice all. I will stay away.

Return to posts index

Rocky Robinson
on Mar 5, 2010 at 9:51:29 pm

We've had a Drobo Pro hooked in via iSCSI on our MacPro since December. Awesome storage capability. No so much as an edit drive. I use it to make space available on our CalDigit HDPro for real editing, and as an archive device.
So far, so good. We're dealing with DV and DVCPRO-HD compression mostly.

I have used it to put small files (Like archived spots and IDs), on the timeline, and haven't seen any out of ordinary hiccups yet. But when I used it once as a device to render to, there was a huge speed difference (slower). But it still worked.

So here it's used as designed, as a backup/arhcive drive.
My only complaint is that I'd rather it cost half as much.

Return to posts index

Mark Fuccio
on Mar 11, 2010 at 7:53:30 pm

Hello, Mark Fuccio from Drobo here.

Some comments. First, there are several model Drobos, and they have *very* different performance characteristics.

The 4-drive Drobo has FW800 and USB connections. Good fit for bulk storage or backup. Not recommended for editing HD.

DroboPro is an 8 drive system that uses iSCSI/Gigagit ethernet. Its fast. Perfect for editing. Using Blackmagic's Disk Speed test rates it 90MB/sec read, 80MB/sec for writes. iSCSI support requires OS X 10.5.6 or later. I wonder if Rob, the poster above, might have used an unsupported version of OS X.

DroboElite is an 8 drive system with twu iSCSI/Gigabit ethernet ports. Rich Harrington, who has a large presence here, uses one in his studios at RHEDPixel and has 3 editors doing multicam work on it almost every day.

Return to posts index

Rob Grauert
on Mar 11, 2010 at 9:06:50 pm

"iSCSI support requires OS X 10.5.6 or later. I wonder if Rob, the poster above, might have used an unsupported version of OS X."

Nope. I've got 10.6.2 on my Mac.

Robert J. Grauert, Jr.
command-r.tumblr.com

Return to posts index

Mark Fuccio
on Mar 11, 2010 at 11:14:23 pm

Do you have a case number, Robert? I can talk to the support team and have them reopen it. What version of Drobo software are you using?

Return to posts index

Rob Grauert
on Mar 12, 2010 at 1:51:14 pm

Mark,

For Dashboard we are on 1.6.8 (we updated the other day because we were having problems again) and for our Drobo Pros we are on 1.1.5

I appreciate your offer to help, but my boss has already decided a few days ago that he's going to look for a new solution. We've contacted tech support many times for many different problems (connecting via iSCSI has been the least of our problems), but the Drobos never seems to work any better.

What difference is it going to make if our case is reopened? What will tech support tell us that they haven't told us already? We've been through all the troubleshooting that is listed in the manual, which always seems to be what your Tier 1 tech support wants to do. We've given many diagnostic reports to your Tier 2 tech support guys. I think I've even been in contact with someone who said he was on Tier 3.

We're not mishandling our Drobos. We know to shut them down with Drobo Dashboard or by shutting down the computer.

On paper the Drobo sounds like a great solution, and I wish it worked, but in the real world it just doesn't.

I'm not just trying to be a jerk by bashing on the Drobo Pro. Like I said, I appreciate your offer to help. I just don't see how reopening our case will suddenly help us.

Thanks anyway though, Mark.

Robert J. Grauert, Jr.
command-r.tumblr.com

Return to posts index

Andy Mees
on Mar 12, 2010 at 3:07:39 pm

I always though the Drobo Pro/Elite held great potential for small edit operations, with the iSCSI connectivity good for nearly Firewire800 speeds. Have recommended it as such often, so its a real shame to hear such negative feedback.

Return to posts index

Rob Grauert
on Mar 15, 2010 at 8:53:16 pm

ha ha...the footage on my Drobo is suddenly littered with digital hits, Every video file i have looked at so far has digital hits.

great.

Robert J. Grauert, Jr.
command-r.tumblr.com

Return to posts index

steve knattress
on Jul 28, 2010 at 3:37:40 pm

Hi All,

I have a drobo pro at home to use as general backup and somewhere to transfer hours of cycle head cam footage.
I have a fw800 g-raid2 and small sata raid 5 array for "real" editing on my macbook pro.

The drobo pro was successfully connected to my macbook pro using iscsi on my home network ( iscsi and internet via a time capsule. In a separate room),
I gave the Drobo a manual Ip address outside those allocated by the TC)
I was able to edit DV from the drobopro without any problems over my home wired network.

until.. I loaded drobo dashboard onto my wifes's imac, to do a backup via isci
Now the drobo pro is reluctant to connect to my macbook pro. (does not connect when my wife's mac is on. (drobo dashboard (which was given same drobo ip address as mbp, )is NOT being run on boot. more often than not will not connect when the imac is off.)
How do I select which of my computers on my network talks to the drobo pro via iscsi. (I know its not NAS and that only one computer at a time can be "connected" by iscsi

I assumed that the drobo would connect to the machine that had the drobo dashboard running ( I assume this is what loads the iscsi mac agent? ...but this does not seem to be the case.

A lot of assumptions I know. Has any one else experienced this?

Thanks Steve

Return to posts index

Volo Ganca
on Jul 4, 2011 at 10:04:01 am

Hi Mark

I am currently editing off a Drobo. My boss keeps getting frustrated because of Dropped Frames in FCP affecting his viewing of our video's, could this be the Drobo's fault? I am using the 4drive drobo.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Rob Grauert
on Jul 4, 2011 at 3:58:07 pm

[Volo Ganca] "could this be the Drobo's fault?"

It could be since Dropped Frames are caused by FCP not being able to retrieve data fast enough from the storage device.

We only use our Drobos for storage/backup, we don't edit off them. Use something like a G-RAID or G-Speed for editing.

Rob Grauert, Jr.
command-r.tumblr.com

Return to posts index

Dan Herrick
on Dec 7, 2011 at 5:35:05 am

The DroboPro has been a disaster for me. I am on my second DroboPro in 1.5 years. I thought the system would be great as I am no techno guru. Unfortunately I have spent more hours searching for solutions on how to fix it than I can count.

The first DroboPro was running very slowly even though all the propaganda online said that it was perfect for HD video editing. When a new firmware update came out the DroboPro crashed hard. No problem I thought a quick call and I will get tech support to help me out.

2 hours later I was told there was nothing I could do. Just give them my credit card number and they would ship a new one out in 2 weeks! AGGHHHHH Having 8 drives of redundancy doesn't help when they are not in the machine!

I ranted and raved at the store I bought it from (and bought an in-store warranty thank goodness) and they managed to get one in 5 days. I put the drives in and there were my files!

I have since had problems with the DroboPro cycling off and yesterday when a drive was humming I took it out to be safe. Now the DroboPro is unable to protect the data as it rebuilds the drives. No problem except that it has been 24hrs and it says it need 50 hours more! Until then I don't touch my computer!

I know it is my fault as I am new to video production and the advice I received about this product was flawed so I warn others. GO AND GET A PROFESSIONAL STORAGE SOLUTION

DroboPro
iSCSI

MacPro
2x2.8GHz Quad Core Intel
10GB Ram
Adobe CS5

Recording DVCPRO-HD

Dan Herrick
Creative Director
Sleepingbeagle Studios
(780) 700-0937
Edmonton, AB