FORUMS: list search recent posts

Yeah, another sync post

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Naveen Mallikarjuna
Yeah, another sync post
on Mar 2, 2010 at 7:19:00 pm

So, much like other people before me, I'm having a sync problem. I don't seem to see anyone else with the same specific problem though.

Basically, the audio drifts out of sync with the video once I go into other applications. If I go into Motion and come back into FCP, the audio is slightly ahead of the video.

However, sometimes the problem can occur without leaving FCP, usually once I've been working on a project for a while.

Quitting and restarting FCP seems to fix the problem.

Someone suggested to me that this is RAM problem. Anyone to second that thought? Any other ideas?

The specs: Intel Mac, Dual 3 GHz Quad Core, 8 GB RAM, FCP 6.0.6, Kona LHe.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Return to posts index

John Fishback
Re: Yeah, another sync post
on Mar 2, 2010 at 10:15:00 pm

Have you trashed prefs & repaired permissions?

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.8 QT7.6.4 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCS 3 (FCP 7.0.1, Motion 4.0.1, Comp 3.5.1, DVDSP 4.2.2, Color 1.5.1)

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO & 192 Digital I/O, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

Larry Asbell
on Mar 2, 2010 at 10:39:02 pm

I experienced this same problem on a system with Kona LHe card especially when editing 720 59.94 sequences. When I searched, I found lots of similar experiences with that card.

I followed lots of leads to improve this, in my case the thing that helped the most was getting the correct RAM configuration in the Mac Pro. There are a very specific directions as to how pairs of RAM are to be placed in the risers in a Mac Pro. Turns out I has misread them and was running with a less that optimum setup.

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1957

However it would seem from the frequency of posts, that the LHe card is especially sensitive to sync playback problems. I've never read that a solid fix has been arrived at. I still occasionally see the problem after my RAM fix.

Typically the sync of playback will go out after doing edits in the timeline and then playing through a section that has unrendered clips. Usually pausing for an instant then playing will cause it to catch up. If it is still out, I'll load any other sequence into the timeline, then switch back to the first one and the problem will be cured for a while. It's as if forcing FCP to rebuild its buffers clears things up for a while.

With everything rendered I don't experience the problem.

I've never experience this problem with my other system that has a Kona 3 card. Both are Mac Pros, with SATA RAIDs, 8 to 16 gigs RAM, Leopard.

Hope this helps,

Larry Asbell

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Mar 2, 2010 at 10:42:25 pm

Is all your audio 48Khz and uncompressed PCM (wav or aif? not aac or mp3?)

Return to posts index

Naveen Mallikarjuna
on Mar 3, 2010 at 5:37:47 pm

Thanks for the responses! I'll check these out and get back soon!

Naveen

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]