FORUMS: list search recent posts

Exported QT movie opens in FCP

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kyle Davis
Exported QT movie opens in FCP
on Feb 25, 2010 at 6:24:35 pm

Hey, I know this is a bit of an odd noob question, but hey.

Whenever I export from FCP, the file defaults to be opened by FCP. I want MOV files I create in FCP to default to open in QT, like other mov files. Is there a setting I can change that will do this to all videos by default. I know how to change the player for a particular file, but it doesn't affect other FCP-created MOV files.

This may be a win/mac issue. If so, I'm sorry.
-Kyle

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: Exported QT movie opens in FCP
on Feb 25, 2010 at 6:41:57 pm

You could right click and open "Get Info" and change that, but I don't know anyone who does. I have no idea what, if any, ramifications there might be.

It certainly seems as the only difference in those self contained and reference files is the icon and where they are set to open, but who knows??? Why not be the guinea pig???

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Feb 25, 2010 at 8:13:01 pm

I make changes in the Get Info all the time for all sorts of things, never a problem. The files will still work in FCP when imported. To take it one step further you can select Change All and then it should always open these files in what you changed the Open With to (Quicktime). I have done this so what all .mov open in QT 7 instead of QT X.

Then of course if you have something you want to do differently you can right click on the file and do a Open with for a one time thing.

Return to posts index

Naveen Mallikarjuna
on Feb 25, 2010 at 6:41:59 pm

How are you making the QTs?

There are two basic ways:
File > Export > Quicktime Movie
File > Export > Using Quicktime Conversion

The first creates a reference movie, unless you select the checkbox "Make Movie Self-Contained" in the Save As dialog box. But both of these types of QT movies will be "FCP Quicktimes", for lack of a better term. You'll notice by the modified QT icon.

Use the second method for a movie that opens through QT.

Naveen

Naveen
contact@naveenmedia.com
http://www.naveenmedia.com

Return to posts index

Kyle Davis
on Feb 25, 2010 at 8:06:51 pm

Thanks Naveen!

I've been using Export to Quicktime Movie (self-contained). I'll try "using quicktime conversion" from now on. There's no difference between them (assuming I'm talking about self-contained)?

-Kyle

Return to posts index

Alan Okey
on Feb 25, 2010 at 8:14:07 pm

[Kyle Davis] "I've been using Export to Quicktime Movie (self-contained). I'll try "using quicktime conversion" from now on. There's no difference between them (assuming I'm talking about self-contained)?
"

Don't use Quicktime conversion unless you're transcoding to a different codec than your sequence. Exporting using Quicktime conversion will recompress your output even if you choose the same codec as your sequence, adding an unnecessary additional generation of compression.

Return to posts index

Mark Petereit
on Feb 25, 2010 at 8:00:37 pm

I always right-click on the .mov file, go to Open With... and select Quicktime.

Return to posts index

Alan Okey
on Feb 25, 2010 at 8:10:47 pm

What version of FCP are you using?

Return to posts index

Kyle Davis
on Feb 25, 2010 at 8:44:22 pm

I'm using FCP 6. If it recompresses, then I guess I'll just deal with the right-click->open with method that was mentioned, which is what I've been doing. I just thought there might be an easy setting change or something that would turn it off.

Return to posts index

Alan Okey
on Feb 25, 2010 at 10:41:09 pm

[Kyle Davis] "I'm using FCP 6. If it recompresses, then I guess I'll just deal with the right-click->open with method that was mentioned, which is what I've been doing. I just thought there might be an easy setting change or something that would turn it off.
"

That's not necessary. Go back and read Michael's post. You can set Quicktime to globally open all .mov files by showing the file info box (command-i) and following Michael's suggestion.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]