FORUMS: list search recent posts

Exporting unmixed channels

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Naveen Mallikarjuna
Exporting unmixed channels
on Feb 25, 2010 at 5:43:52 pm

Sorry in advance for the long post. But I want to be clear because it feels to me I'm missing something obvious.

I have a sequence with audio on tracks 1 and 2. They are two mono channels. So, Track 1 contains Mono File A. And Track 2 contains Mono File B.

I want to export this to a stereo file, so that the Left Channel contains Track 1. And the Right channel contains Track 2. That way, Mono Files A & B don't get mixed.

How do I do this? It seems like it should be the default setting (as it is in, say, Premiere). But it isn't.

When I got to Export to AIFF and select "Channel Grouped", the resulting file is a stereo file, but both the Left and Right channels contain the same audio. It is Mono Files A & B mixed together.

Selecting "Stereo Mix" will obviously mix them.

The problem seems to be the panning in the Audio Mixer. Tracks 1 & 2 are set to "0", or Center. BUT, the only way to adjust this seems to be clip by clip. I have to move the playhead over each clip, and then change the panning to -1 or 1.

Isn't there any way to GLOBALLY effect the panning for the entire timeline? That way I don't have to adjust each individual clip?

The only way I can come up with is to select all the clips in Track 1, then go to Modify > Audio > Pan Left.

Is there a way to just set Track 1 to Pan Left, that way any new clips I add to the track will AUTOMATICALLY go to the Left Channel?

Naveen

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: Exporting unmixed channels
on Feb 25, 2010 at 5:56:46 pm

[Naveen Mallikarjuna] "The only way I can come up with is to select all the clips in Track 1, then go to Modify > Audio > Pan Left.
"

That's the way it's done in FCP Naveen.

Most people consider that an improvement over the way its done in other NLEs, because it give the editor more options running fewer tracks. The NLEs that assign all odd tracks as the left channel and all even tracks as the right channel force you to use twice as many channels as you might actually need, cluttering up the timeline excessively.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Naveen Mallikarjuna
on Feb 25, 2010 at 6:18:44 pm

Got it. Thanks!

I do wish though that you could set panning by Track level, rather than only by Clip.

That way, new clips added to a track would automatically pan Left or Right.

Naveen
contact@naveenmedia.com
http://www.naveenmedia.com

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
matthew bradshaw
on Feb 25, 2010 at 7:10:41 pm

You can of course pan one clip, copy and then paste that attribute to all the other clips on the track.
Matt.

Return to posts index

Joey Burnham
on Feb 25, 2010 at 7:14:00 pm

[Naveen Mallikarjuna] "I do wish though that you could set panning by Track level, rather than only by Clip.

That way, new clips added to a track would automatically pan Left or Right. "

Well, there kinda is. If you are capturing from tape, in the clip settings you can link the tracks by clicking the infinity looking icon to the left of the green buttons.
If you are working from file based media, just link the tracks,(higlight both tracks and hit Option+L)
This pans them correctly. Even if you unlink them after that, they still retain their pan. Test it and see by linking, unlinking, then clicking on the individual tracks and see what the panning is.
Best,
Joey

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]