FORUMS: list search recent posts

Edit to Tape

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jay Whiteside
Edit to Tape
on Feb 17, 2010 at 8:43:36 pm

I'm unable to do an "Edit to Tape". When dragging the sequence into the edit to tape window the Insert, Assemble and Preview areas stay grayed out and I'm unable to "drop" into any of those options.

I can control the deck, use the black and code to "black" the tape, can set all the "Mastering Settings" and can preview tone to the deck.

In FCP I can view the seq through the deck to the monitor, I also see video and audio in the decks built-in monitor. Also no problem using "Print to Tape" (along with the mastering settings, Color Bars, Slate, Black etc). and doing a simple dump to tape.

Here's my info:
OSX 10.5.8
FCP 6.0.6
Matrox MXO2 1.6
Deck is a Sony DVCAM DSR-45
External black burst to the MXO2 and the deck

We film in DVCPRO HD 720p 24Pn and use the DVCPRO HD 720p24 setting.

My guess is Edit to Tape does not support this deck, any help is much appreciated. Thanks

Return to posts index

Chris Babbitt
Re: Edit to Tape
on Feb 17, 2010 at 9:42:12 pm

How are you controlling the deck? Firewire? If so, you can only do assemble edits.

Return to posts index

Jay Whiteside
on Feb 17, 2010 at 10:24:01 pm

Chris, I'm using 422 to control the deck and it works fine. Also I'm coming component video out from the MXO2 to the component in on the DSR-45.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Feb 17, 2010 at 11:40:50 pm

Is the deck switched to REMOTE? If not, you won't have those options.

If so...trash preferences and try again.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Jay Whiteside
on Feb 18, 2010 at 12:14:59 am

Shane, Yes the deck is in "remote" and I can control the deck within FCP. I tried trashing the prefs and still the same problem but I'll try it again tomorrow when I"m back in the office. Thanks. I'm also going to try the deck on one of our other FCP stations, we have three.

Return to posts index

Jay Whiteside
on Feb 18, 2010 at 3:53:34 pm

Ok, back in the office. I trashed the FCP prefs and no luck. Took deck to another FCP station, another Mac Pro running the same OSX, FCP version and MXO2 version and having the same problem.

Again the deck is in remote, controlling from FCP via 422. I have the "Video Playback" of FCP set to "Matrox MXO2 - 720p 23.98 YUV 8-bit (1280x720)", (audio coming out the MXO2 as well) connected to the DSR-45 via component and out of the DSR-45 via component into my monitor.

All is well with playback, scrubbing etc. in the timeline and seeing/hearing in the deck/monitor. And Print to Video works fine. Even Edit to Tape works except for dropping a sequence in, no Assemble, Insert or Preview. Its just grayed out.

By the way I'm just trying to do an assemble edit of a final "master" sequence. I was able to black the front of DVCAM tape via the Edit to Tape function of "Black and Code".

Thanks

Return to posts index

Joey Burnham
on Feb 18, 2010 at 7:22:07 pm

I don't have a Matrox, but is there any way to swap out your reference?
Joey

Return to posts index

Jay Whiteside
on Feb 18, 2010 at 8:54:30 pm

As I suspected, the DSR-45 is not capably.

This is from the Sony web site on the features of the DSR-45.

"The DSR-45A is equipped with the professional industry standard RS-422A 9-pin control interface. This interface allows the DSR-45 to be controlled as a player or feeder into linear and non-linear editing systems. (NOTE: The DSR-45 cannot be controlled as a recorder by RS-422A.)"

Just have to do a crash edit.

Thanks to all.

Return to posts index

Neil Sadwelkar
on Feb 19, 2010 at 3:39:50 pm

The DSR-45 is an SD deck. How come you are feeding 720p23.98 to it. The deck is expecting either PAL or NTSC (depending on your country).

Try with a SD sequence.

-----------------------------------
Neil Sadwelkar
neilsadwelkar.blogspot.com
twitter: fcpguru
FCP Editor, Edit systems consultant
Mumbai India

Return to posts index

Jay Whiteside
on Feb 19, 2010 at 8:12:34 pm

Neil,

I'm using the Matrox MXO2 to down convert HD to SD.

Everything works fine as I stated earlier and I can Edit to Tape using my BetaSP UVW 1800 but not the DSR-45 and after researching the deck doesn't support using it as a record VTR.

Thanks, Jay

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]