FORUMS: list search recent posts

HDTV monitor calibration?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeff Carbonneau
HDTV monitor calibration?
on Jan 25, 2010 at 4:35:09 pm

Can anyone suggest how I'd calibrate my Samsung T260. I'm using it for video playback. I know I know. I won't get dead on accurate colors without the pricey HD monitors, but when I compare it to my NTSC monitor, my whites look more creamy and my magenta is off. I've been trying to tweak it using the NTSC calibration method but it still seems a bit off. Does anyone have a suggestions for calibrating an HDTV for editing?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: HDTV monitor calibration?
on Jan 25, 2010 at 5:08:58 pm

How is it connected to your edit system? Not that I know how to balance HDTVs, just curious. The Matrox MXO2 line has the proper monitor calibration tools built into the software, for monitors connected via HDMI. Not sure how to balance consumer sets with their consumer controls.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Jeff Carbonneau
on Jan 25, 2010 at 5:10:53 pm

sure... it's connected via Blackmagic Multibridge Pro HDMI out

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jan 25, 2010 at 5:11:49 pm

I could very well be mistaken, as I haven't used Decklink products in a while, but doesn't their software offer monitor calibration tools via HDMI??

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Jeff Carbonneau
on Jan 25, 2010 at 5:22:20 pm

none that i can find

Return to posts index

Chris Borjis
on Jan 25, 2010 at 5:38:11 pm

I think the HDMI is not adjustable, but it is if you use component outputs.

then just tweak the lookup tables (LUTS)

Return to posts index

Bill Stephan
on Jan 26, 2010 at 5:57:26 pm

If this is a consumer-level flat-screen TV and not a professional monitor, first set the color temperature as close to 6500 deg. as possible (usually one of the "warm" settings). Then I would tweak further using a Blu-ray monitor calibration disc. There are at least 8 or 10 of those on the market. Look on Amazon. They sell most of them.

Inexpensive TVs may not have many adjustments, while more expensive sets have a multitude of adjustments to allow full calibration to be done in the field.

Bill Stephan
Senior Editor/DVD Author
USA Studios
New York City

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
on Jan 25, 2010 at 5:38:20 pm

You can't set it up to bars, however you can use your eyes... If you have a calibrate-able SD monitor you can feed the same signal to, you should be able to get very close matching the HD monitor to the SD's picture...

But as far as I know, the only way to really setup a consumer TV set with bars and a proc amp control set is with matrox's MXO2 via HDMI, or an MXO through analog HD outputs.

I had my consumer TV actually calibrated by a professional when I bought it, and I can really dial it in better... but it's about $300 to have this done. Still have to adjust it for bars, but they dial right in now.

Jerry

Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski.

8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17" MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX Cinema Displays

Return to posts index

Jason Porthouse
on Jan 25, 2010 at 6:31:50 pm

Another vote for calibration. Do a search for ISF calibrators in your area. They'll be able to get in to the engineering menu of your monitor and tweak the grayscale and color points to as near to REC709 as your monitor will allow. Should make the picture far closer to a 'reference' - with all considerations of price, non-broadcast kit etc. taken on board. Some of the new HDTVs get pretty close to REC standard.

Make sure you get a good calibrator though, who understands what you need it for. They'll tell you how tweakable yours is; no point throwing money at it if there's no hope getting it near, like some of the units out there

Jason

Before you criticise a man, walk a mile in his shoes.
Then when you do criticise him, you'll be a mile away. And have his shoes.

*the artist formally known as Jaymags*

Return to posts index

Eric Stinemates
on Jan 25, 2010 at 11:13:21 pm

In the picture adjustment menus of the T260, is there any option for a "blue only" mode.

I have a Samsung A500 series LCD TV that has has a blue only mode (never seen one on a consumer TV before) though I haven't hooked it up to my edit system since I lack the proper HDMI output card. I don't know if that feature is found in their less expensive and smaller monitors.

I've always wondered just how accurate the consumer TV could be in that mode if fed a decent HDMI signal or if anybody's tried to calibrate it without running it through a box like the MXO2.

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
on Jan 26, 2010 at 1:29:08 am

Tell me more about the Samsung TV you have with the blue only display. Is there a more current model now or?

There used to be a way to calibrate to bars with a blue jell over the screen... it's the same four adjustments all TV's have Color, Bright, Black or Contrast, and Hue. I"m sure you need a specific jell number though to be really on it. Might google that..

Jerry

Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski.

8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17" MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX Cinema Displays

Return to posts index

Eric Stinemates
on Jan 26, 2010 at 2:00:34 am

It's a 40 inch Consumer LCD model LN40A550 (I think many of the higher end Samsungs include the feature). It looks as good as a sub $1000 consumer TV can look but obviously has all the dynamic contrast and extra processing going on which makes me wonder if it could even remotely work as a monitor. I'd rather have something smaller in the production suite anyway.

I havent hooked my NLE into it as it's in a different room from my production suite. My EX3 will only connect via analog component (damn, no HDMI out) and there's no way to get scopes onto it to verify color accuracy.

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
on Jan 27, 2010 at 10:34:00 pm

I'll look for this next time I'm in Costco! They sell Samsung TV's

So there is a blue only button on these TV sets? Is it in the manual?

Jerry

Return to posts index

Eric Stinemates
on Jan 27, 2010 at 10:41:43 pm

There's no button, it's buried deep in a submenu in the picture adjustment menu. Like any TV these days, it's all menu driven with no physical controls which makes adjustment a hassle of course.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]