FORUMS: list search recent posts

Daisy chained external hard drives

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ned Weisman
Daisy chained external hard drives
on Jan 17, 2010 at 1:14:35 am

Does anyone know if there is a limit to how many external hard drives one can daisy chain together before functionality is affected?? I've got 5 hooked up now and it doesn't seem to be a problem. However I took one off, even after ejecting it properly, FCP thought it was a drive needed for autosave (it was not) and crashed.

Return to posts index

Will Salley
Re: Daisy chained external hard drives
on Jan 17, 2010 at 4:44:09 am

We need more info.

Primary System Info -
Mac Pro 2x3.2 Quadcore - 10.6.2 - QT 7.6.3 - 20 GB RAM - nvidia8800GT - SATA internal & external storage - Blackmagic Multibridge Pro - Open GL 1.5.10 - Wacom Intous2 tablet - AJA io

Return to posts index

Will Salley
on Jan 17, 2010 at 4:44:47 am

We need more info.

How are the drives connected? SCSI, Fibre, eSATA, Firewire, etc.
Are they Raided? If so what level?

Primary System Info -
Mac Pro 2x3.2 Quadcore - 10.6.2 - QT 7.6.3 - 20 GB RAM - nvidia8800GT - SATA internal & external storage - Blackmagic Multibridge Pro - Open GL 1.5.10 - Wacom Intous2 tablet - AJA io

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Jan 17, 2010 at 5:43:20 am

I think you can safely assume that he is talking about firewire drives, there are really the only type of drives that you are able to daisy chain.

Ned,

Personally as a practice I would never daisy chain drives and then if I had to I wouldn't do more then one extra drive on a chain. If you need to have several drives attached at the same time, get a FW card with extra channels.

For me the channel is to stay away from an edge as possible. I don't want to see how close I can get to a problem. I want to stay away. With editing you are always accessing the drives, unlike basic computer work where you read and write to a drive every now and then, for them you can daisy chain away, for us it just is not a good practice.

This is not a technical answer but my way of thinking.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Jan 17, 2010 at 5:42:13 am

Hi Ned,
The limit (guess you talking about FW) is some 16 devices, or so.
An small FW hub (30$) makes things easier when you need to unplug the HDs.
Rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]