FORUMS: list search recent posts

Is Final Cut Studio O.K. for HD work?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Zeno Pierre
Is Final Cut Studio O.K. for HD work?
on Dec 26, 2009 at 8:00:27 pm

Hi,

I bought Final Cut Studio a while back. When I open Final Cut it says that I have Final Cut Pro not Studio. I wanted to do some work on HD footage. Do I need Final Cut Pro HD?

Thanks

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: Is Final Cut Studio O.K. for HD work?
on Dec 26, 2009 at 8:18:34 pm

What version of FCP do you have? Open the application and click on Final Cut Pro>>About Final Cut Pro to find that information.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Scott Davis
on Dec 26, 2009 at 8:19:54 pm

Final Cut Pro is part of Final Cut Studio. What version are you on? What flavor of HD? FCP has been able to work with HD since v4 I believe.

Scott Davis
View Scott Davis's profile on LinkedIn

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Dec 26, 2009 at 8:26:24 pm

There is only one version of final cut pro. Therefore your software is capable of editing anything you want. Your hardware may be a different story.

Final Cut Pro is one piece of software in a larger package called Final cut studio.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Dec 26, 2009 at 8:40:17 pm

[Bret Williams] "There is only one version of final cut pro."

Bret,

What? The current version of FCP is version 7, so how do you figure that there is "only one version," and how could you possibly know which version Zeno has?

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
Los Angeles

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Dec 26, 2009 at 11:30:35 pm

no -
you must have a Quantel Pablo to work in HD. If you don't have half a million dollars to work in HD, you can't do HD. All the people that you see on these forums discussing HD are all rich people. If we win the lottery, we too, will be able to edit in HD.

So, there is only one version of FCP ? Exactly what version is this ?

God, this is a great forum.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Adam Smith
on Dec 27, 2009 at 1:36:43 am

[Bob Zelin] "So, there is only one version of FCP ? Exactly what version is this ?"

I'm pretty sure he meant "only one version" to mean "only one software package to pick from" as opposed to say Avid, with it's stratified product line.

But then I also assume he's not considering Final Cut Express in that count.

- - -
Video Photographer / Avid & Final Cut Editor

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Dec 27, 2009 at 2:22:16 am

[Adam Smith] "I'm pretty sure he meant "only one version" to mean "only one software package to pick from" as opposed to say Avid, with it's stratified product line. "

I'm not sure how you interpreted that meaning Adam? In any case, Bret certainly didn't clarify anything.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
Los Angeles

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Dec 27, 2009 at 4:21:07 am

Adam was correct of course. And I didn't mention express because it's not a version of final cut pro and didn't appear to be part of the poster's confusion. Of course it is a version of final "cut" but I don't think of it that way. There's no upgrade path is there?

Anyways, yeah, my wife would agree I'm not know for my clarity. If I could mumble on the web I would.

Return to posts index

Alan Okey
on Dec 28, 2009 at 4:38:22 pm

Yawn. HD is SO yesterday. I'm already editing Super Hi Vision on my 16.384 processor IBM Blue Gene/L supercomputer.

RED? Please. 7K is here, baby!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_hi_vision

Return to posts index

Mark Petereit
on Dec 28, 2009 at 9:40:20 pm

Maybe he needs Final Cut Server.

[Ducking...]

Return to posts index

J. Tad Newberry
on Jan 13, 2010 at 7:54:25 pm

oy, rabbi bob...had you had a bad Christmas? (or Hanukkah?) did you forget your pills?

: )

just sounded a little harsh, and it looks like the guy hasn't posted since - i would assume he figured it out...

have a great day everybody!

Thanks again!

J. Tad Newberry
Big Ya Productions
Mac Pro 2.66 GHz Quad-Core
3 GB RAM
http://www.bigya.tv

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Dec 27, 2009 at 4:16:17 am

Because I'm bright enough to understand his dilemma was not with version numbers and with the titling of the software. Read the post. He obviously thinks there is final cut pro and final cut studio. As I clearly explained there is only final cut pro and it is part of a larger package, final cut studio, which he has, which means he can edit hd. From my reading he was probably searchin the net and found reference to FCP HD from 2003 and figured there is another version called final cut hd which he needs to edit hd and that "studio" isn't enough.

Sorry if I was confusing anyone. By that post or this one! :)

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Dec 27, 2009 at 4:34:01 am

[Bret Williams] "Read the post. He obviously thinks there is final cut pro and final cut studio."

Exactly Bret. Because there were standalone versions of FCP before the suite existed. The original post clearly stakes that Zeno only has FCP, not the full suite. That's why I asked which version he had and even told him how to check. If you had simply allowed him to answer my original question regarding his version we could have saved eight or nine useless messages.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
Los Angeles

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Dec 27, 2009 at 8:11:09 am

I read it quite differently. When someone says they bought Final Cut Studio, I assume they bought Final Cut Studio. Then when they are obviously confused by the fact that it calls itself Final Cut Pro when they open the program (instead of Studio) then I first address the fact that they don't understand that the program is part of a larger package called "fc studio" and that there is only one version of final cut pro (within the realm of studio I suppose). There is no version of fc studio with FCP HD included. He does not need to purchase FCP HD. Perhaps I could have expanded further and dug deeper into version numbers etc but it was obviously a newbie question simply wondering if they had a hd capable version of FC Studio and wondered if they needed FC HD instead.

I'm sorry if my interpretion of his question and my legitamate , but possibly unclear, answer bothered you so much but I don't think it prevented him from answering you. There weren't any replies when I started replying to the post. And your answer was certainly sufficient. I wouldn't have butted in if it had been there already. Just figured Id help since it's a little slow in here over the holiday. Of which I hope everyone is having a good one!

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Dec 27, 2009 at 12:51:32 pm

[Bret Williams] "Of which I hope everyone is having a good one!"

I'm having a great holiday Bret, thanks for asking! Hope you're having a great one too!

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

"Foul Water, Fiery Serpent" now in Post.

Creative Cow Forum Host:
Apple Final Cut Pro, Apple Motion, Apple Color, AJA Kona, Business & Marketing, Maxx Digital.

Blog!

Twitter!

Return to posts index

Gary Askham
on Dec 27, 2009 at 3:12:46 am

But what do you mean when you say that you want to edit in HD. Do you mean HDV or AVCHD? Or maybe DVCPro HD, XDCAM or Pro Res? Or actually Uncompressed HD? The latest version of Final Cut Pro can edit all these formats. Your computer however, may not be able to.

If any of these terms confuse you then maybe you should do a little research first.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Final_Cut_Studio

http://www.apple.com/finalcutstudio/

http://pro.sony.com/bbsc/ssr/micro-xdcam/

http://www.panasonic.com/business/provideo/app_hd.asp

http://www.avchd-info.org/

------------------------
FCP and Avid Technical Support
Air Post Production
Shoreditch - London

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Dec 27, 2009 at 4:41:37 am

[Zeno Pierre] "I bought Final Cut Studio a while back. When I open Final Cut it says that I have Final Cut Pro not Studio. I wanted to do some work on HD footage. Do I need Final Cut Pro HD?"

Final Cut Studio is a suite of applications, we are now up to Final Cut Studio 3. Final Cut Pro is the editing software and it's up to Version 7.

Yes, Final Cut Pro is perfectly fine for editing HD, especially any version that was included with the Studio suites. Now the type of HD editing you can do is wholly dependant on your system configuration and the version of Final Cut Pro you actually own.

DVCPro HD and HDV for example can be cut on pretty much any Mac. ProRes, which was first included with Final Cut Pro 6, can be cut on most Intel Macs. Uncompressed HD requires a desktop machine and an extremely fast hard drive array.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

"Foul Water, Fiery Serpent" now in Post.

Creative Cow Forum Host:
Apple Final Cut Pro, Apple Motion, Apple Color, AJA Kona, Business & Marketing, Maxx Digital.

Blog!

Twitter!

Return to posts index

david bogie
on Dec 27, 2009 at 7:22:12 pm

Can of worms.

You could do us a huge favor by telling us what you mean by "HD" and where you think your production output is headed. The various workflows for FCP and the many different and incompatible version of "HD" require much patience and research before you will know if "FCP is O.K. for HD."

bogiesan

Return to posts index

Mark Petereit
on Jan 14, 2010 at 3:11:56 am

[In my best cop voice]

OK folks. Nothing to see here. Let's move along.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]