FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sync issue FCP to BetaSP

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dane Henry
Sync issue FCP to BetaSP
on Dec 4, 2009 at 5:58:32 pm

1st off...not real happy about having to use BetaSP in the 1st place but the studio that broadcasts a show we provide content for still plays the entire show off beta. Same workflow for the past 15 years...with out ONE upgrade...and yet they make a huge sum of money each season! Can't wait until I get to "Office Space" this deck! (Think...Slo-mo & baseball bats...hmmmmmm, get a smile just thinking about it)

Anyways, thats my rant, here is my question. We sent our BetaSP Deck (PVW-2800) out for a repair, error code 09, got it back and I seem to be having an issue holding sync after I reconnected the deck. I'm guessing this is operator error as the last time I connected it was over 2 years ago and everything had been working great then. The machine connected to the deck is a Mac Pro, with an AJA KonaLhe, we give it a ref black signal with a BM mini converter sync generator.

Here is my problem. After we have layed video to tape, when we playback the tape we are getting some bumps and partial flips in the video for the 1st 3-5 seconds. We also have played other studios betaSP tapes & tapes that we layed off in our previous season in the deck and get a bump/flip for just the 1st second. It's there, but not as bad as our tapes we have recorded on the deck.

Please correct my setup where you see any issues:
1. I am sending the deck the Video through the componant out of the Kona

2. Giving the deck sync from the BM sync Gen to the Ref Video input with the Ω75 turned ON. Is this correct?

3. I have the Ref. IN of the Kona card connected to the BM sync gen.

4. On the BM sync gen I have the tabs set to what I think is NTSC. ALL 8 tabs UP? The graph on the back of the unit shows that 4-8 should be down in the OFF row. BUT on the actual tabs down is ON. I have tried it also with 4-8 in the ON position to match the look of the graph but still gets the same bumps & fliping effect.

The machine the deck is connected to:
Mac Pro 2.66 4core
FCP 6.0.6
AJA Kona Lhe

I appreciate any help, please forgive my ignorance with this giant dinosaur that takes up way to much room in the suite. Feel free to smirk, yell, & belittle...just follow it up with some suggestion. :)

Thanks again,

Dane

Return to posts index

Dane Henry
Anyone?
on Dec 4, 2009 at 7:19:24 pm

Hope my query was understandable. Searched the relative forums with no luck.

Biggest question has to do with the BM mini converter sync generator proper NTSC setting (as the BM's documentation is pretty much non-existant, No directions, just a graph on the back of unit that is not even the same as the physical switches). Also the actual way to send ref IN to the deck.

Thanks again in advance for any advice.

-Dane

Return to posts index

Matt Lyon
Re: Sync issue FCP to BetaSP
on Dec 4, 2009 at 7:29:27 pm

Hi Dane,

75 ohm termination should be turned ON, unless you are looping out the signal to another device. Make sure you set the software control panel genlock for the KONA to REF IN.

The AJA control panel should tell you what kind of REF signal it detects (at least my KONA2 here does, not sure about the LHE). Do you have a 'scope you can feed the signal in to check it?

I don't have any experience w/ the BM sync gen, so I can't help you there, sorry.

Matt Lyon
Editor
Toronto

Return to posts index

Dane Henry
on Dec 4, 2009 at 8:27:45 pm

Thanks for the response. The AJA control panel is showing 525i29.97...guessing that's what it should be.

Argh!...beta!

-Dane

Return to posts index

Matt Lyon
on Dec 4, 2009 at 8:41:54 pm

Yeah, that's what you want to see (wait, you are doing NTSC, right?). Have you tried posting to the KONA forum?

In a pinch you could also try setting the KONA to freerun, and patching a composite signal out from the LHE to the ref in on the beta deck (although I can't recall if the LHE can do composite and component at the same time). Kinda kludgy, but it might work. If you problem is confined to the first 3-5 secs of your program, could you just put a 10 sec black slug of preroll at the head of your program?

Matt Lyon
Editor
Toronto

Return to posts index

Bob Flood
on Dec 4, 2009 at 8:59:13 pm

Hey Dane
I have an LHe as well as a uvw 1800 so
from one dinosaur rider to another heres my 2 cents:

Both the the kona and the beta only want to see Black ie Composite video and 7.5 ire Black, so make sure thats what the BM is making, as opposed to Sync AKA Horizontal Sync, or Subcarrier. Loop the ref signal, Black, from the sync generator through the composite video in of the beta, then terminate at ref in on the beta. "Sometimes the Beta decks are picky about where they get sync."

If the BM has multiple outs, send a separate ref signal to your Kona

double check that the menu settings on the beta are set correctly (i think you have a menu choice as to whether the beta gets External Reference from Video In or Ref In)

You might see some rolling when the deck first starts which is normal.

THe way to tell if both the card and the deck are "in sync" is to watch the video output of the deck on a broadcast monitor while printing to tape. If the picture starts to slowly roll up, something is amiss. If the picture stays put and does not roll or shift up or down, then you are good to go.

hope this helps

"I like video because its so fast!"

Bob Flood
Greer & Associates, Inc.

Return to posts index

Ken Jones
on Dec 4, 2009 at 9:40:58 pm

[Bob Flood] "double check that the menu settings on the beta are set correctly (i think you have a menu choice as to whether the beta gets External Reference from Video In or Ref In) "

This was my first thought. Since your deck was just serviced, the repair shop might have reset the deck to its default settings.

Return to posts index

Dane Henry
on Dec 4, 2009 at 10:19:24 pm

Thanks for the responses. I'll check the menu for the where the sync input is set.

Thanks again,

-Dane

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Dec 5, 2009 at 2:09:40 pm

"Bump Flip" almost sounds like a bad sync signal for the first few sections, OR a control track break where you laid some black for a few seconds, stopped the tape, then started the edit again but with a break in the control track instead of a smooth edit to cover the edit.

As for BetaSP, we deliver well over 100 BetaSP masters to NBC, PBS and other stations a year. Trusty old UVW-1800 that we've have since 2001. Runs right alongside all our HD equipment and doesn't complain. SP is no big deal with the Konas.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

"Foul Water, Fiery Serpent" now in Post.

Creative Cow Forum Host:
Apple Final Cut Pro, Apple Motion, Apple Color, AJA Kona, Business & Marketing, Maxx Digital.

Blog!

Twitter!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]