FORUMS: list search recent posts

DG Fast Channel Questions...

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brandon Kraemer
DG Fast Channel Questions...
on Nov 17, 2009 at 11:59:12 pm

I'd like to pose a few questions about DG Fast Channel Delivery, for those with experience with DG delivery.

1. Is there any kind of hard ware unit that will allow me to view on a NTSC interlaced monitor and WFM/VTS the encoded file I create for DG? VLC is not getting the job done, we can't accurately judge things until they hit the air, and DG QC is inconsistent we have found. We are using the template in Episode.

2. What is the consensus on black levels? I have heard several schools of thought. TV stations broadcasting ATSC still seem to require 7.5 setup. Internally we work with 0 IRE black levels in color correction. Somehow... our 0 IRE is getting amp'd up to 7.5 by the time the TV affiliates get the spot, and DG reports our 0 blacks as 7.5 on their end. Is Episode adding the setup? Is DG?

To expand on this, I did a test with DG... three files, one with our 0 IRE blacks, one with -7.5 or crushed blacks, and a third with 7.5 blacks. DG reads 7.5 blacks on the first two tests, and on the third, which I ProcAmp'd up to 7.5, they rejected it with improper black levels. Looking at the uncompressed file on a wfm... blacks on this third test were ~15 IRE. So, what is happening?

Any feedback is really appreciated.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: DG Fast Channel Questions...
on Nov 18, 2009 at 4:53:54 am

1). Last time I asked, it was prohibitively expensive. I find DG QC to actually be allright. What experience did you get?

2). Setup should be added to analog outputs by analog devices. DG just sends the spots and the stations do crazy things to them sometimes. Just recently I caught a spot that we sent via DG that was way off. Everything checked good on our end, everything checked good at DG. Eventually tracked it down to the station and credited our client for 20 (!) spots. The station had botched the transfer of that spot to whatever system they use for playout. The other 9 spots we did were fine. Go figure. What format is your original footage?

Return to posts index

Dan Hayes
on Nov 19, 2009 at 9:35:17 am

Jeremy,

Is Episode pro needed for Fastchannel conversion from FCP, or will he standard version do?

Dan

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Nov 19, 2009 at 3:59:49 pm

I have the standard version.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]