FORUMS: list search recent posts

Ultimatte, FCP and New Mac Pro

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lindsay Walsh
Ultimatte, FCP and New Mac Pro
on Oct 23, 2009 at 11:35:01 am

Hi All,

For some time now I've been working with a new mac laptop using the built in keyer on FCP. Mostly I've achieved a reasonable key, but as we progress into much bigger projects, usually filming on HD, I need something with more grunt and a more sophisitcated keyer that can deal with frizzy hair etc. and difficult keying. We have our own studio so I know it's all in the lighting, but ultimately the keyer is also important on the fiddly bits!

I'm looking at getting a new Mac Pro - 8 core, possibly 16mb RAM etc. I'm also looking at the Ultimatte Advantedge plugin and was wondering if anyone has experienced the advantages of this plugin over the FCP keyer and if it's worth the upgrade/money!

Also some people on the forum suggest Ultimatte doesn't work with the latest Mac pro's? Is this right - they seem to have an Intel processor so should work fine.

Any thoughts on Ultimatte or spec of my new machine when working with HD chromakey footage gratefully received.

Lindsay

Return to posts index

Mikey Bouchereau
Re: Ultimatte, FCP and New Mac Pro
on Oct 23, 2009 at 2:37:30 pm

I would look at Primatte Keyer Pro. I recently purchased it. Totally amazing! It blows keylight out of the water. It was able to fix stuff I used to have to roto. Its totally worth a look.

http://www.redgiantsoftware.com/products/all/primatte-keyer-pro/

Mikey B!

Follow Me On Twitter!

Return to posts index

Alan Okey
on Oct 23, 2009 at 3:02:43 pm

Do yourself a favor: Pick up a copy of Conduit for $200 and learn how to build your own keyer.

http://www.dvgarage.com/prod/prod.php?prod=conduit2

At the very least, watch the demo videos to understand why learning how to build your own keyer is ultimately of far greater value than buying one that may or may not work for a particular shot.

Return to posts index

Arnie Schlissel
on Oct 23, 2009 at 7:16:12 pm

I like Conduit. It's actually a fairly good compositing system.

My personal preference, though is to pull my keys using either Keylight or Primatte in Shake. You can still get Shake, but it's getting hard to find.

Arnie

Post production is not an afterthought!
http://www.arniepix.com/

Return to posts index

Mark Raudonis
on Oct 23, 2009 at 11:13:40 pm

Lindsay,

We have six rooms using Ultimatte advantedge all day long. It's a great program... quite expensive, but in my opinion, worth it. The same dongle will work with either FCP or After Effects. We typically use it with AE, since we find that to be a bit more stable than FCP. Our hardware is the latest, greatest Mac PRO, so no issues there.

Is it worth it? Only you can answer that. For us, yes it is. We can come much closer to a "one touch" key using Ultimatte than any other keyer we've tested.

Mark

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]