FORUMS: list search recent posts

720p to 1080i

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Derek Natzke
720p to 1080i
on Oct 20, 2009 at 9:30:46 pm

I am looking to upscale 720p to 1080i for broadcast. I am working in Final Cut Studio 2 and have an AJA KONA LH card. I understand that the card I have will not to realtime upscaling so what are my options? Is there a deck out there that will do the magic by itself on the record?

Derek L. Natzke
Producer, Life Studios
http://www.lifeteen.com

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
Re: 720p to 1080i
on Oct 20, 2009 at 9:35:11 pm

No, that card will not do a cross conversion like the Kona 3 and LHi will. I would look for a local post house that can do this conversion for you either with a Kona 3 / LHi or a Terranex.

Lay off your 720p to tape or export a self contained Quicktime file and let them do the conversion for you.

I'm not sure if the Panasonic 1400 will make that conversion during record. It can actually do this during playback, but I've never tried it during record. My inclination would be no, it does not do that.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

"Foul Water, Fiery Serpent" now in Post.

Creative Cow Forum Host:
Apple Final Cut Pro, Apple Motion, Apple Color, AJA Kona, Business & Marketing, Maxx Digital.

Blog!

Twitter!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Oct 20, 2009 at 9:58:31 pm

Barring having the proper hardware to do the conversion, the only other options are a) Compressor and b) drop it into a 1080i timeline and render. BUT... that isn't as good as Compressor.

AND ANOTHER BUT! Are you changing frame rates? 720p 23.98 to 1080i 29.97 for example? If so, this gets REALLY tricky without hardware. The whole reason I have the Kona 3 and MXO 2...they do this.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Chad Brewer
on Oct 21, 2009 at 12:17:00 am

Derek,
My facility has both Kona 3 and even better, top of the line Teranex hardware for broadcast quality uprez as Walter and Shane were describing. If the project is really important for broadcast, don't settle on software for such a task.

Let me know if my company can assist you in any way.

http://www.televersions.com

chad

Return to posts index

Chad Brewer
on Oct 21, 2009 at 12:25:27 am

Walter:
"I'm not sure if the Panasonic 1400 will make that conversion during record. It can actually do this during playback, but I've never tried it during record. My inclination would be no, it does not do that."

You're right. The Panasonic decks will do cross conversions going out, but not in. Panasonic's outgoing conversions are far superior to Sony's at this point - even on my SRW5500. This is why I got the Teranex VC300. It can turn apples in to oranges.

chad
http://www.televersions.com

Return to posts index

Alex D'Eath
on Oct 21, 2009 at 3:22:47 pm

I don't mean to turn this into a thread about the 1400 but I regularly rent this deck for ingest and output and I am now curious as to what in can convert. My understanding is that this deck will not convert from 1080i to 720p on the output side. Is it that this deck will convert 720p to 1080i but not the other way around. I often get footage from NASA in 1080i that I need in 720p and I always use compressor to make the conversion. It works fine but always adds a little time to the ingest process. I am thinking about replacing our Kona Lh with either a Kona 3 or whatever the new card they came out with earlier this year that will do these kinds of conversions.

THanks

Alex D'Eath
alex@spacecityfilms.com
Operations Manager
Space City Films, Inc
Above... & Beyond

Return to posts index

Steve Oakley
on Oct 22, 2009 at 3:30:36 am

should look at an MXO2 as well :)

Steve Oakley
DP • Editor • VFX Artist
http://www.practicali.com

Return to posts index

Chad Brewer
on Oct 28, 2009 at 1:45:47 am

The 1200 and 1400 will cross 1080 to 720 and 1080 to 720 going out.
They will not do these conversions coming in to the deck. Whatever comes in, comes in.
You could save yourself a lot of time without compressor by using Panasonic's cross conversion capabilites between 1080 and 720 on their SDI outputs. Good quality for the price tag of the decks. Look in the menus.

chad

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]