FORUMS: list search recent posts

client footage

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gerret Warner
client footage
on Oct 14, 2009 at 2:25:04 am

I have a client who wants me to incorporate AVCHD footage into a video we'll be shooting in DVCPROHD, 720 24. My fear is that the resolution won't be as good in the AVCHD footage. I've also heard that the processing required in editing this codec takes much more time. Can someone advise?

Return to posts index

Rob Grauert
Re: client footage
on Oct 14, 2009 at 2:46:24 am

I believe the reason AVCHD requires more processing power is because it uses Long GOP compression, where as DVCPro HD uses I-frame compression. I would transcode the AVCHD to DVCPro HD.

Robert J. Grauert, Jr.
http://www.robgrauert.com

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcow
Michael Sacci
on Oct 14, 2009 at 3:52:48 am

Save yourself a bunch of hassle, convert all the client's footage to match your footage. Do this in compressor. If their footage is 29.97 you will have to do some test to see if your convert to 24p is acceptable, if this needs to be done you most likely will need to use frame control to do the retiming, this will add a lot of time to the process. If your client is paying for your time (and they should be) none of this is a problem, it is just part of the process. Most people convert this to ProRes but since you are editing in DVCProHD I would match it to that in this case.

You DO NOT want to bring the AVCHD clips into FCP.

Return to posts index

Gerret Warner
on Oct 14, 2009 at 3:26:56 pm

Michael,
I haven't yet used ProRes. Is there a reason to use it instead of DVCProHD? Should I convert in Compressor either way?

Thanks

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcow
Rob Grauert
on Oct 14, 2009 at 4:26:30 pm

What do you plan on doing for your project?

ProRes is more suitable for heavy compositing/effects and color grading. If you don't plan on doing much of that, then DVCPro HD will be fine.

Robert J. Grauert, Jr.
http://www.robgrauert.com

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcow
Michael Sacci
on Oct 15, 2009 at 4:36:19 am

My recommendation was to use DVCProHD since is sounded like that was his main codec type.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]