FORUMS: list search recent posts

Editing with ProRes (LT) files on older FCP systems

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Victor Carbonneau
Editing with ProRes (LT) files on older FCP systems
on Oct 1, 2009 at 8:01:11 pm

Has anyone been able to play and (more importantly) edit quicktime files created with the new ProRes (LT) codec on older Final Cut systems? We have a number of files we need to use that have been created using the ProRes(LT) codec however we are only running FCP 6. We're hoping to find a way of using them without having to upgrade Final Cut Studio.

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
Re: Editing with ProRes (LT) files on older FCP systems
on Oct 1, 2009 at 8:33:01 pm

Unless Apple releases the new ProRes codecs like they did the old, you have to install FCP7, which installs these codecs.

NOTE: the codecs that Apple release would allow you to PLAY ProRes on now FCP6 macs and even windows system but you could not write (render) to ProRes so they are for Playback only.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Oct 2, 2009 at 1:07:11 am

I think the same than Michael.
I don't think you will have problem to read the clips but no way to export to the new Prores flavors.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Raul H Vidaurre
on Nov 13, 2010 at 5:09:44 am

Hey!
I know I'm a bit late to stumble upon this but I just copied my AppleProResCodec.component (from a comp with Studio 3 (FCP 7)) from the QuickTime folder in my Library and pasted it onto a comp with Studio 2 (FCP 6). Restarted and voila!
Exported ProRes LT from FCP 6 and am now using Compressor to convert 4k R3Ds to LT NTSC for an offline on a Feature!
Hope this helps someone out some day. I know I could've used the 2 hours it took to figure this out to get some editing done instead!

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Nov 13, 2010 at 6:06:40 am

Have you tested the ProRes LT files in a sequence and tried rendering? Can you make a sequence with those clip settings or will you have constant render issues by having a mismatch between codec and sequence?

I would do some tests to confirm those issues before transcoding a feature. If it doesn't work, I would suggest an upgrade to FCS3 which is relatively cheap.

Return to posts index

Raul H Vidaurre
on Nov 13, 2010 at 6:34:18 am

Haven't tried yet, but for my purposes the output and transcoding are good for now. We're currently editing on an FCP 3 system and have several machines with FCP 3 on them. Right now, to speed up the transcode process I decided to use a mac which had FCP 2, alongside my other with FCP 3, hence my dilema. That WOULD be a good test for anyone interested in keeping their old system though. Should anyone try it, let us know how it goes, I'll do so myself if and when I have some free time (doubtful in the next few weeks =D ).

Return to posts index

Sean Taylor
on Mar 20, 2011 at 2:00:00 am

I have the same issue you had but no way to get final cut pro 7 codecs!!
This might be a little bit much to ask but I figure at this point I got nothing to loose!
Can you email these codecs to me?
If not I might have to upgrade and money is tight!!!

Sean A. Taylor

Return to posts index

Neth Wiedemann
on Nov 29, 2011 at 11:31:19 pm

Raul, you are the man, thank you for posting your tips...just saved me from doing a massive render.

Many thanks.

Return to posts index

Raul H Vidaurre
on Nov 30, 2011 at 6:02:05 pm

Glad to be of service.

Return to posts index

Steve Cohen
on Jan 2, 2012 at 2:58:01 pm

Raul;

What type of system did you do this on?
Intel, 1st gen Intel PPC?

I was able to copy the AppleProRessCodec.component to my newer Intel and Nehalem systems with no problem, but when I try to copy it to my 1st gen Intel and PPC's I get the following error message...

“The alias “AppleProRessCodec.component” cannot be copied to the destination, perhaps because the destination does not support this type of alias.”

Anyone else experience this?

Thanks;

Steve Cohen

Return to posts index

Steve Cohen
on Jan 19, 2012 at 4:19:26 am

“The alias “AppleProRessCodec.component” cannot be copied to the destination, perhaps because the destination does not support this type of alias.”

I've since come to find out, through trial and error that this codec cannot be installed on a system lower then Snow Leopard.

If anyone knows that I am wrong please let me know how you got it on your system.

Thanks

Steve Cohen

Return to posts index

Chris Mosio
on Apr 25, 2014 at 4:23:37 am

>>Hope this helps someone out some day.

Raul, I am writing from the future and yes, this is a big help!

Return to posts index

Kyle Rebar
on Nov 26, 2014 at 1:19:21 pm

This might help:
http://www.martin-thoburn.com/vj/install-apple-prores-codec-without-final-c...

I was able to import and edit ProRes LT footage in FCP 6 on a 2012 iMac. I used a different program to capture, but it checks out so far.

Return to posts index

Adam Kirby
on Jan 18, 2012 at 5:31:40 pm

Hi,

I downloaded the FCPX free trial and this has given me the Pro Res LT codec in FCP6, Mpg Streamclip, and MB Grinder. I can render and export Pro Res LT from FCP6 now.

Hope that helps.

Return to posts index

Marc Landers
on Feb 1, 2015 at 2:28:22 am

Will I be able to import ProRes LT files directly into FCP 6 and edit them, just having to render them out to lower-quality ProRes?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]