FORUMS: list search recent posts

Mac Pro internal RAID?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ken Nicholson
Mac Pro internal RAID?
on Sep 28, 2009 at 10:42:43 pm

I'm getting ready to buy a new Mac Pro, and wondering if anybody is using the internal RAID capability of three drives (RAID 0)?

Ken Nicholson

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: Mac Pro internal RAID?
on Sep 28, 2009 at 10:58:31 pm

There are lots of people using that capability Ken. It doesn't sound so good to those of us who suffered through expensive SCSI meltdowns, but it seems that SATA drives are so robust they can handle life inside computers just fine. Of course, since you're probably going to be at Raid-0, unless you get an optional raid card, backing up to inexpensive firewire drives is a good idea.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Sep 28, 2009 at 11:17:56 pm

I use the internal drives as single drives. For DVCPRO HD, ProRes, uncompressed SD...even DNxHD Avid codecs...they work fine with NO Raiding needed. If you want to Raid them and have some protection, I suggest getting the CalDigit Raid card...it can RAID 5 those 3 drives.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Hector Silva
on Sep 29, 2009 at 7:42:07 pm

[Shane Ross] "If you want to Raid them and have some protection, I suggest getting the CalDigit Raid card...it can RAID 5 those 3 drives."

Although this is a very useful solution, it will not work with current Mac Pros. The CalDigit RAID Card only has the ability to talk to the motherboard of 2008 and earlier Mac Pros. In a 2009 model it can only talk to HDElements connected externally.

A 3 drive internal RAID 0 is the fastest, cheapest option, but David is right to recommend a firewire backup drive for your data. A three drive stripe means that you are three times more likely to lose your data.

Want speed and protection? Get an external RAID 5 option.

H

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Sep 29, 2009 at 8:05:32 pm

[Hector Silva] "Although this is a very useful solution, it will not work with current Mac Pros."

I forgot about that...good catch.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Ken Nicholson
on Sep 28, 2009 at 11:46:26 pm

Hey DRW!

Long time no see... NAB 2000? Crashing the Discreet sessions...

Yeah I do fastidious nightly backups of projects to Firewire drives. Got burned once with a RAID drive crash, no more...

So performance, heat all nominal with internals? I do mostly XDCAM work, occasionally DVCPROHD, have a RED project on the horizon, might that be pushing it? (performance, not space)

Is the internal RAID as fast as an external eSATA 3-drive? That's what I'm using now. (I know, apples to oranges)...

Ken Nicholson

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Sep 29, 2009 at 2:42:10 am

Hey Chef Ken, howya doin? So, it's been 10-years? Seems like 10-minutes.

[Ken Nicholson] "Is the internal RAID as fast as an external eSATA 3-drive? That's what I'm using now. (I know, apples to oranges)... "

Internal 3-drive raid is the same speed as an external. I would stripe them as raid-0, because I'm a performance freak. Mathematicians will tell you that 3-drives striped have an exponentially greater chance of going down, but since you get almost 3x the throughput, and since SATAs are so robust anyway, you shouldn't lose any sleep over a Raid going down if you backup your media. It's only captures that are the big deal anyway, so once you finish capturing and you back that up you really can't hurt very badly.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Craig Thomas Quinlan
on Sep 28, 2009 at 11:18:55 pm

We use this all the time for media that is backed up elsewhere or can be recaptured, nothing else. You can get some great speeds with a three drive R0. You just have to work with the understanding that if you lose one drive, you lose everything. We've had several clients lose media this way. Do yourself a favor and buy good enterprise-level sata drives if you're not getting them from apple. We like Hitachi Ultrastars over here.

Return to posts index

Mitch Ives
on Sep 30, 2009 at 1:46:18 pm

When we first got the 8-core, we used the Apple RAID card and created one using all four bays. It worked great. The only reason we pulled the Apple RAID card was that we had a huge documentary with 40 hours of HDCAM to edit, so we needed an 8-drive RAID. Now the Apple RAID card just sits on the shelf, but we were happy with it when we used it...

Mitch Ives
Insight Productions Corp.
mitch@insightproductions.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]