FORUMS: list search recent posts

P2 Spanned files partial import

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alicia summers
P2 Spanned files partial import
on Sep 17, 2009 at 5:51:17 pm

Hello,

I've searched the forums for hours and haven't been able to find an answer to this, please forgive my redundancy if I've over-looked something and there already is an answer out there.

I recently recorded a little over an hour's worth of footage with a two camera set-up (HPX170 P2HD).
Each camera had 2 64G P2 cards.

When I Log & Transfer into FCP 6 I'm getting a strange result. in the L&T screen, it shows that my spanned clip duration is a little over an hour. However after I import, the spanned clip duration is only about 10 minutes. at the end of the 10 minutes I get a shocking noise and TV fuzz for about a second and then the clip ends. This happens for both of my spanned clips, which were recorded on separate cameras. When i look at the circle symbol in the L&T window, it shows that the full clip has been imported - not just part of it (i.e. the circle is completely blue).

I have all four of my P2 cards inserted into the Panasonic AJ-PCD20 before I begin L&T. I have opened all four cards to make sure the correct information is there, and it is. All of my clips show up (each 4G, just as they should be) and I have all the associated files for them. 2 of my P2 cards show up as empty - and the cards with actual files still show as having space left on the card, so i don't think the clips spanned to the second card.

So i'm wondering, why am I only getting a partial transfer? Could this have something to do with the way the P2 cards named the clips? I did notice a few of them are "out of order"... but the meta data should correctly stitch them together regardless... right?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Additional information:
Cameras: HPX170
P2 Cards: x4 (2 in each camera) 64G
transfer device: Panasonic AJ-PCD20
Program: Final Cut Pro 6
System: MacPRO, 10.4.11

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: P2 Spanned files partial import
on Sep 17, 2009 at 8:11:48 pm

I would transfer your cards to the Hard drive first, then log and transfer.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Alicia summers
on Sep 17, 2009 at 10:31:18 pm

Hey Jeremy, thanks for the advice!

I copied the entire P2 card to my HD, however I still received the same results on the import.

I decided to rename the "out of order" files and attempt to reimport them.
when i say "out of order" files, what i mean is, when the clips & their associated files are being created, they are assigned a random name based on a series of numbers and letters, i.e. 0001AX.MXF would be clip one, 0002P3.MXF would be #2 etc. however, some of mine were labeled entirely with numbers, and not with any letters... clips 1-3 would be properly labeled, however clip number 4 was labeled like this "00048J", so it wasn't being read as 4 but as 48.

when i renamed the clips to be a series of numbers with 2 letters (00048J became 0004AJ), and then added the copied folder (on the HD) to my L&T window, i could then import each clip individually, however this didn't solve the spanned clip issue.

i found that if i renamed the clips on the P2 card itself to place them all in the proper order, then when i imported the clip using L&T in FCP, the spanned clip was read correctly, no sequence assembly required.

the only thing that i found tiresome was that i not only had to rename the clip and all of the associated files, which, considering there are 4 tracks of audio for each clip, is substantial, but i also had to unlock each clip before i could do any of this.

So... i suppose, problem solved. it's just really ridiculous.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Sep 18, 2009 at 5:07:22 am

I must admit, that is some serious detective work, and I don't quite understand how that would be possible. The spanned clip data has nothing to do with the name of the MXF file. If you don't mind, can you zip and upload the 'CLIP' folder so I can take a look?

Return to posts index

Alicia summers
on Sep 18, 2009 at 2:24:06 pm

ah, well, i sort of already renamed all of the files involved. In order to make sure all of the files were still associated correctly I had to rename the "out of order" files in the Audio, Video, Clip and Icon folders.

and i just used the MXF extension as an example - i know it has nothing to do with the spanned clip data. =D

I had no trouble importing my spanned clip after i renamed all of the "out of order files" to place them "in order", so i have to conclude that the trouble was in the random numbering/lettering system.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Sep 18, 2009 at 5:09:03 pm

[Alicia summers] "In order to make sure all of the files were still associated correctly I had to rename the "out of order" files in the Audio, Video, Clip and Icon folders. "

That is pretty dangerous. I am looking at two clips right now that are spanned. One is 0001IJ and it's spanned with 0061RM. They are not in order and don't need to be.

Hope it goes well!

Jeremy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]